St. Roch Bruce Ives

Beautiful and good photography as well.

Hi Bruce and anyone else who has built the St. Roch. I have started the kit but am puzzled by the stern, which doesn't seem to be covered by the planking. There are the two pieces for the stern but I have not found any info on how to end up with the nice round stern you did and in pictures of other models of the vessel.
Advice would be most welcome

Hi Alex

I’m afraid I don’t have any pics of my model at that stage but you glue the wood pieces ( which are soft balsa ) into the two sides of the stern in such a way that they stick out everywhere and then carve/sand them to the shape you want. I did this after the rest of the hull was planked so I could sand them flush. I thought that getting the two sides to be symmetric would be difficult but it wasn’t. Does this answer your question?

Hi Alex

I’m afraid I don’t have any pics of my model at that stage but you glue the wood pieces ( which are soft balsa ) into the two sides of the stern in such a way that they stick out everywhere and then carve/sand them to the shape you want. I did this after the rest of the hull was planked so I could sand them flush. I thought that getting the two sides to be symmetric would be difficult but it wasn’t. Does this answer your question?
Thanks Bruce:
I was thinking something along those lines but great you confirmed it. I couldn't see how to shape the stern pieces without having the rest of the planking in place. Will get back to you if I have more questions. Cheers

Thanks Bruce:
I was thinking something along those lines but great you confirmed it. I couldn't see how to shape the stern pieces without having the rest of the planking in place. Will get back to you if I have more questions. Cheers
Hi Alex. I see that you were a passenger on the Bluenose II !! That’s very interesting. When I decided to try building a ship model I was looking for Canadian content and the Bluenose looked way beyond my skills. So the St. Roch it was. My daughter lives in Iqaluit which was Frobisher Bay back then. I did a bit of reading to discover the St. Roch never made it there despite its journeys that would have taken it past the entrance to the bay. I did see the St. Roch in Vancouver at the Maritime Museum, also many years ago.

I live in Southern Ontario. Do you mind my asking where you live?

Last edited:
Hi Alex. I see that you were a passenger on the St. Roch!! That’s very interesting. When I decided to try building a ship model I was looking for Canadian content and the Bluenose looked way beyond my skills. So the St. Roch it was. My daughter lives in Iqaluit which was Frobisher Bay back then. I did a bit of reading to discover the St. Roch never made it there despite its journeys that would have taken it past the entrance to the bay. I did see the St. Roch in Vancouver at the Maritime Museum, also many years ago.

I live in Southern Ontario. Do you mind my asking where you live?
I'm in Ottawa but grew up in Brantford and have lived in Montreal and Halifax where I got my ride on Bluenose 2 and this neat Argentinian sailing ship the Libertad. I have both the Bluenose and Bluenose 2 to build. Should keep me out of mischief for some time.

Well well well. I currently live in Brantford having moved from Saint John NB. I saw the Bluenose II in Lunenburg and in Halifax but have never sailed on her. I have been aboard HMCS Sackville. That was an eye opener! But I am originally from Alberta!!

You have a lot on your plate…

Hi Bruce:
A question about painting the plastic parts of the St. Roch kit. On Page 17 of the instructions, is a picture of a bunch of them on a sprue mostly lettered. Do the letters indicate what colour they're to be painted? I can't anywhere in the instructions where it says what the colours are or what the letters mean.
cheers

Hi Alex

When you look at the scale drawings you will see references to the parts by their letters. The letters don’t refer to colours. For example on the diagram looking down at the bow near a large letter A you will see the anchor and it’s parts are referred to as F892/H and F892/I. These refer to the parts on the sprue. There is also a triangle with a 47 pointing to the anchor. On page 25 you will see that this refers to the colour “Sea Blue”.
Does this answer your question?

I didn’t know the plastic frame was called a sprue. My Scrabble game has been improved!!

Last edited:
Hi Bruce:
I think your photos above are the best colour guide and I will use them. The photo on the front of the kit box shows the boat being white. The instructions I have offers a short colour guide on page 5 and my page 25 shows some of the large wooden parts with the boat parts outlined. I'm about to venture into the fine art of planking. Stay warm although it's quite amazing that the first real cold snap of the winter didn't happen until early February and should only last a couple of days.

Hi Alex

It looks like Billings has changed the box and the instructions since I built the St Roch.

I used the pics on the link below to choose my colours. And I bought all my paints at Lens Mills. Ironically on Monday my wife and I drive to Ottawa and early Tuesday we leave for Iqaluit where it is currently -35 with wind chill -53.

Hi Alex

It looks like Billings has changed the box and the instructions since I built the St Roch.

I used the pics on the link below to choose my colours. And I bought all my paints at Lens Mills. Ironically on Monday my wife and I drive to Ottawa and early Tuesday we leave for Iqaluit where it is currently -35 with wind chill -53.

By the time you get here, it will be much warmer than now. Not many people head to Iqaluit this time of year. Best

Hi Alex

Hope you enjoyed Iqaluit. Been a strange winter. If you are back from the north and up for a chat, I have questions for you about how the stern on St. Roche is assembled.

Back