Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi all

I did one of the bed frames for the wealthy passengers. This is the main cabin and I need to keep happy the customers who keep this business afloat.... .... Literally. :)

So this cabin has to be fancy and luxurious. Unfortunately the chief carpenter got the flue :-( and the apprentice has to do it.

He never ever used a lathe so took the apprentice 3 hours to figure out how to do a so so column. But there are deadlines to have this Statenjacht ready. And we moved on.

20210128_160541.jpg
20210128_160506.jpg

The apprentice did it too high, as you can see in the below picture.

20210128_161125.jpg

Beans are in the air. Needs to be reduced.

The apprentice carpenter will need to work on the floor side. And probably the decorative round bean *arrow* will have to go. Not only to shorten it, also to be shaped to the deck.

20210128_160515.jpg

"THIS IS THE WAY"

-The Mandalorian-

:) :) :)
Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Hello Dan, apprentices job looks good. But if he ever wants to archive spectacular results, he needs to use templates while making multiple identical items, This can be easily archived with cardboard.
1. Find the column you like on the internet and scale it to your model.
2. Print out and glue on the cardboard
3. make a centerline along the column and cut making two halves.
4. Take any half and cut out outside the line of your column as close as possible.
5. You are done, enjoy your work.

Now when you turn the column, get your template to check where and how much you have to remove the wood until the turning part touches the lines where you cut out. The same method (even better) if you use 3mm plywood instead of cardboard. This way you can mark the template edges with a black pencil and while your lathe is ON touch the wood, it will leave the mark where you need to remove the wood!

Happy turning!!!!

Hello Dan, apprentices job looks good. But if he ever wants to archive spectacular results, he needs to use templates while making multiple identical items, This can be eathy archived with cardboard.
1. Find the column you like on the internet and scale it to your model.
2. Print out and glue on the cardboard
3. make a centerline along the column and cut making two halves.
4. Take any half and cut out outside the line of your column as close as possible.
5. You are done, enjoy your work.

Now when you turn the column, get your template to check where and how much you have to remove the wood until the turning part touches the lines where you cut out. The same method (even better) if you use 3mm plywood instead of cardboard. This way you can mark the template edges with a black pencil and while your lathe is ON touch the wood, it will leave the mark where you need to remove the wood!

Happy turning!!!!

Let me see if I followed you.

The first part is for flat cuts.... correct ?

I understand this one. I used templates in cardboard for the interior. But not to repeat identical parts.

The second part is for wood turning in a lathe... correct ?

This is the one I am not understanding.

Do you have a picture or a hand drawing?

Thank you !!!!!
Daniel

The 'flapper' is actually a great idea, I learn myself. On a small scale, however, it might be difficult to use flapper. Also, you would need to mount this flapper template somehow. Better just cut out and constantly check by touching the timber where to remove excess.

Good luck!

After watching the videos and an hour practicing on the lathe the results were bad. I need many hours and need to cut more wood to practice. So my decision was "enough for this part" !!!!

Modeler's decision: Open my box of leftover. Took out some old columns from Artesania Latina and.........

20210129_173951.jpg20210129_173636.jpg

They are a little bit shorter so I do not need to modify the bed frame. Beams fit well. Just small adjustments. Tomorrow I will do the other side.

20210129_173538.jpg

I tried to do my own columns, but need more practice.

Cheers
Daniel

After watching the videos and an hour practicing on the lathe the results were bad. I need many hours and need to cut more wood to practice. So my decision was "enough for this part" !!!!

Modeler's decision: Open my box of leftover. Took out some old columns from Artesania Latina and.........

View attachment 209572View attachment 209573

They are a little bit shorter so I do not need to modify the bed frame. Beams fit well. Just small adjustments. Tomorrow I will do the other side.

View attachment 209574

I tried to do my own columns, but need more practice.

Cheers
Daniel
Live to fight another day!

Back