Steam launch "Rose-en-Soleil"

BONJOUR !!
Some pics of may steam launch.
The boiler is scratch from my own dwgs ( autocad), the machine, as you guess, is a Stuart D-10. Water pump and oiler are machined form scratch.
I wanted something different from gas or alcohol boiler heating, so we decided my son and I for,,,coal.
It is a "funny" mess: radio, oil, steam , kerosene ( to start the fire), some coal and leafes ( for the smoke effect..this was before the actual greenbashing).
Making this story shorty, the final balance is: 3 hours of preparation, fine tuning, and sweat , for a rewarding 15 minutes of navigation!
I hope that the pictures are self explanatory ..

Best rgds
MimileDSC05475.JPGDSC05373.JPG

DSC05459.JPG

DSC05382.JPG

DSC05380.JPG

DSC05407.JPG

DSC05416.JPG

DSC05409.JPG

amazing model - especially the engine is looking great - maybe you can show us a little bit more about the engine?
Is this handmade from scratch or is there a kit available?

Yes, Uwe...the machine is a Stuart Turner D-10. They sell (still?) either the plans or plans and raw cast iron main parts. Made with original Stuart parts, except for the water pump, oiler, steam whistle, piping and fittings. It is the best commercial steam machine I had in hands...
The Yarrow boiler is made according my researches and the resulting design.
The launch is according the plans of the real one made in Normandie for the Rance River in the early nineties. I was told that this steam launch transported the marine engineers to the shipyard along the riverside.

DSC03559.JPG

DSC03569.JPG

DSC03563.JPG

DSC03551.JPG

DSC03552.JPG

With the aquired experience with my steam launch, I am presently facing a new challenge: the boiler and machines for my sternwheeler...
The machine studies and drawings and some parts are already done, but the boiler is much more complicated because of the lack os space inside the paddlewheeler ..and I intend install alcohol burners in lieu of coal,,,(!!) . Anyway, I am not in hurry ..

thank you all!
In fact , my secret dream is the 74 canons frigate from Boudriot..I have all the plans, but alas , having no spare space ( $ and wife persuasive speech) in my last trip to France the book is missing...
I am also affraid os the difficulties for such enterprise and lack of courage.....but what a dream!!

thank you all!
In fact , my secret dream is the 74 canons frigate from Boudriot..I have all the plans, but alas , having no spare space ( $ and wife persuasive speech) in my last trip to France the book is missing...
I am also affraid os the difficulties for such enterprise and lack of courage.....but what a dream!!
when I look at such an engine and boilder you are able to make - a 74-gunner based on Boudriot should not be technically a big problem........
start it as soon as possible ....

Thank you all,,,you see, I also must deal with the spare time left as a retired man,,,,; " more interesting jobs" as fence painting, grass cutting, remove broken tiles, fix the water closet hydraulics,,,feed the dogs, and certaily other very "urgent"tasks...

Coming back to my steam launch, these are the drawings of the real launch. The hull elegance inspired me at once fitteen years ago.

see you all later soon!!

Mildred chaloupe de la Rance 1.jpg

Mildred chaloupe de la Rance 2.jpg

Mildred chaloupe de la Rance 3.jpg

Mildred chaloupe de la Rance 4.jpg

Mildred chaloupe de la Rance 5.jpg

Mildred chaloupe de la Ranche 6.jpg

Back