Crafty Sailor Store News

Hello all!
In this thread I will be posting news and updates about Crafty Sailor Model Store.

We are going to start selling ropes made by a Russian master modeller Alexey Vikulaev from Mini Shipyard (English version) sometime in late September. He makes his ropes from E-121 Gutermann threads. We will offer two colors: tan for running rigging (3-stranded right handed) and black (3-stranded left handed) for standing rigging. We are planning to carry the following diameters: .25mm, .35mm, .45mm, .5mm, .6mm, .65mm, .7mm, .8mm, .9mm. More sizes will come later. Each spool is 6.5 meters long. All labels will be in English.

If you are interested in any particular size, please let us know and we'll make sure that we'll have it available!

z7X0Y0-nF_8.jpgn6_lcgvS-io.jpgyep4UL23bXo.jpg4MEe5cCkD2g.jpgYdvn7xgyLYs.jpg

I wouldn't like to commit to a large order as I have never used polyester ropes before but I am curious as to how it looks and handles.
I will try it for the standing rigging to begin with on my current build, so I would want one each of .25, .5, .7, and .9 mm all in black.
If it works out I would most likely order the standing rigging also which would be a roll each of .5 and .25. Will there be anything smaller as my plans are calling for a .1 mm in both black and tan.
Please pm or email as to when I should order
Thanks
Don

P.S. If I like it and decide to use it full time will you by my Domanoff ropewalk from me? LOL :p ;)

I wouldn't like to commit to a large order as I have never used polyester ropes before but I am curious as to how it looks and handles.
I will try it for the standing rigging to begin with on my current build, so I would want one each of .25, .5, .7, and .9 mm all in black.
If it works out I would most likely order the standing rigging also which would be a roll each of .5 and .25. Will there be anything smaller as my plans are calling for a .1 mm in both black and tan.
Please pm or email as to when I should order
Thanks
Don

P.S. If I like it and decide to use it full time will you by my Domanoff ropewalk from me? LOL :p ;)
Don, thanks for letting me know about the diameters. It really helps! I'll ask him about .1mm ropes, but from my experience those would be really hard to make. For my ropes I use Skala 360 thread and the thinnest I can do is about .2mm.

I'm pretty sure you'll like these ropes. They are amazing.

Hello all!
In this thread I will be posting news and updates about Crafty Sailor Model Store.

We are going to start selling ropes made by a Russian master modeller Alexey Vikulaev from Mini Shipyard (English version) sometime in late September. He makes his ropes from E-121 Gutermann threads. We will offer two colors: tan for running rigging (3-stranded right handed) and black (3-stranded left handed) for standing rigging. We are planning to carry the following diameters: .25mm, .35mm, .45mm, .5mm, .6mm, .65mm, .7mm, .8mm, .9mm. More sizes will come later. Each spool is 6.5 meters long. All labels will be in English.

If you are interested in any particular size, please let us know and we'll make sure that we'll have it available!

View attachment 176882View attachment 176883View attachment 176884View attachment 176885View attachment 176886
Great looking and precise handing twists that I assume start with three thread lines twisted and then twisted again for final handing. It must be a challenge to have worked out the size of the initial threads to arrive at the final cable or hawser lay. It is also impressive thinking about the size of the walk to produce the 6.5 meter lengths. What is the anticipated pricing? All are a definite step up from the shorter lines that I can make on my own home-made walk. PT-2

Great looking and precise handing twists that I assume start with three thread lines twisted and then twisted again for final handing. It must be a challenge to have worked out the size of the initial threads to arrive at the final cable or hawser lay. It is also impressive thinking about the size of the walk to produce the 6.5 meter lengths. What is the anticipated pricing? All are a definite step up from the shorter lines that I can make on my own home-made walk. PT-2
PT-2, the price for all of these diameters is $5.29 per spool. Larger diameters might be more depending on how much more material and work required to produce them.

Great looking and precise handing twists that I assume start with three thread lines twisted and then twisted again for final handing. It must be a challenge to have worked out the size of the initial threads to arrive at the final cable or hawser lay.
A search of the Gutermann site does not give a response to E-121. Is that some type of specialty thread and not listed on their site? What is the material from which the E-121 is made? Just interested.
It is also impressive thinking about the size of the walk to produce the 6.5 meter lengths. What is the anticipated pricing? All are a definite step up from the shorter lines that I can make on my own home-made walk. PT-2

Great looking and precise handing twists that I assume start with three thread lines twisted and then twisted again for final handing. It must be a challenge to have worked out the size of the initial threads to arrive at the final cable or hawser lay.
A search of the Gutermann site does not give a response to E-121. Is that some type of specialty thread and not listed on their site? What is the material from which the E-121 is made? Just interested.
It is also impressive thinking about the size of the walk to produce the 6.5 meter lengths. What is the anticipated pricing? All are a definite step up from the shorter lines that I can make on my own home-made walk. PT-2
PT-2, here is the link about E-121 thread: https://industry.guetermann.com/en/products/product-finder/guetermann-e-121
It is 100% polyester.
In regards to the ropewalk, these ropes are made on a horizontal ropewalk which is slightly longer than 6.5 meters.

Back