Official Website

About SHIPYARD

We are producer of three modellar brands:
Shipyard since 1985,
Railway Miniatures since 2016
and
Building Miniatures since 2018.

Family Company was founded in 1985 by Lidia and Krzysztof Klyszynski
and has developed to many directions of modeling to present day.

Shipyard brand is focused on marine models like sailing ships,
lighthouses, dockyard dioramas and accessories.
From wide range of Shipyard products can choose:
Marine Miniatures Laser-Cut Kits – complete box with all parts cut by laser, materials and accessories
which modeller need to build a perfect model.
Marine Fittings – more than 45 different types and sizes of blocks and cotton ropes produced by Company with traditions since 1638 year.
Marine Literature – modellar plans and books.
Traditional Paper Models – high quality printed parts with additional
laser-cut spare parts like masts, sails and blocks.

Quality and precision of our models is based on our long experience in the modelling field.
Confirmation of it we receive directly from modellers
which visit us on fairs where we show our products and models.

Railway Miniatures brand is focused on world of trains
where You can find models of houses,
buildings, sheds, cranes, lighthouses and garden accessories.
All products are laser-cut kits and sets.
Laser technology allows modellers to build models in perfect quality with all details.

Building Miniatures brand was established in 2018 and specializes in 1:72 scale diorama models.
Specially designed construction of these models also allow them to be used for strategic games.

We will be happy if You will trust us and give us opportunity
to satisfie You with our models and kits – hobby is our passion.

I have 4 kits from Polish manufacturer Shipyard. They are products in catalog Products-Laser-Cut kits-Sailing Ships. That means lighthouses-dockyard-buildings are not included in this summary.

Shipyard is a famous manufacturer in papermodel world. Its sailing ship models are very professional. Papermodel manufacturers started using 3D computer design technology in the early 2000s And the Laser cardboard kit series provides the high-end products with 3D computer design technology by Shipyard. Customers don't need to buy other accessories in theory.

The Laser cardboard kits are more like wood kits. You can find masts blocks strings sails paints brushes...anything you need in the kit box. As Mike41 said: Looks like a great kit for anyone with a limited work area and doesn’t require a lot of tools to build.

@SAIL AND SAIL Many, many thanks for such a detailed and very informative review of the Shipyard kits. Thumbs-UpI am pretty sure it will help when a decision made towards cardboard kits. Is there any chance, for you, or someone from your company, to start a build log for one of those kits? I am looking forward to seeing a build log, from one of the SOS members, perhaps?! ;)

@SAIL AND SAIL Many, many thanks for such a detailed and very informative review of the Shipyard kits. Thumbs-UpI am pretty sure it will help when a decision made towards cardboard kits. Is there any chance, for you, or someone from your company, to start a build log for one of those kits? I am looking forward to seeing a build log, from one of the SOS members, perhaps?! ;)

Hello Jimsky
I bought these kits in 2016-2017 but I haven't started to build them.
I'm Planning to build a POF model and I wish I can finish that job.
It's the build log of Bonden's HMS MERCURY that you mentioned.
And you can also find HMS ALERT model pictures built by our member
Submarinerblue in the kit review of HMS MERCURY
Anyway, I think it's going to be a lot of fun building shipyard laser-cut kits and hope to do the work soon.

Last edited:
10.png

11.png
Look at these pictures. Accessories of HMS ALERT and Le Coureur. Cells are't full, there's still a lot of room.
The thicknesses of these ships' laser cut parts are also relatively thin.

12.png
Accessories of HMS MERCURY. I've already taken paints and masts away. Cells are full and laser cut parts are quite thick.

In my opinion, neither 5th rate ship nor higher rate ships can be put into a single kit box.
Bigger Ship, Far more complex parts
And from the material aspect, I don't think cardboard can support the structure of a big ship model at the scale of 1:72.

Last edited:
Laser cut parts

Laser cut parts use several kind of materials and have many thicknesses
Including

26.png

28.png

25.png
Ttransparent sheet of plastic as Glass

Black cardboard as Some metal parts such as hinges
cardboard with various thicknesses

More details

27.png

back view

29.png

30.png

Most cardboards are white. That's why the kit provides paints and brushes.
Thick cardboards seem like some kind of recycled Material with granular touch.
Laser cut lines are very thin and there're several modes: Cut through-Mark-Carve.

I don't know whether you have noticed that the thin cardboards are very dusty.

Thin cardboards use different materials from thick cardboards.
A lot of dust will be produced when these materials are being laser cut.
In this case, it's not easy to keep clean while building the model.

The laser cut edges are dark and sticky. It's better to polish the edges slightly before assembling laser cut parts.

Last edited:
With your very-well explained and super detailed review\photos, it should help a lot SOS members to make a decision. What type of glue does manufacturer recommends to use, and also are the paint acrylic type or or other?

With your very-well explained and super detailed review\photos, it should help a lot SOS members to make a decision. What type of glue does manufacturer recommends to use, and also are the paint acrylic type or or other?
30.png

31.png

photos for you
i think it's Polish glue

from Mike Krol shoki2000@earthlink.net
In Poland I used a glue called BUTAPREN (that's its market name). I don't know what would be the name here, but this is the stuff shoe makers are using. OK, it smells and is messy, but if you are careful, the advantages are enormous-it glues everything to everything, never shrinks, it is water resistant, and gives an elastic connection.

Interesting kits! I am intrigued by the Kogges. A US equivalent for the Butapren could be Barge Cement-
Also smelly,messy, sticks to everything and is used by shoemakers.

Back