Experts may carve by themselves

25.png
Copper sheathing

32.png
Copper wire

24.png

31.png

Barrels & Metal parts

Here here, what a review. I have built the following Shipyard Laser Kits. 1st was the Le Couier. This kit came with all the items as already described and also included 2 tubes of Butapren. Might I add if you build in card, this is by far the best glue I have ever used once you master how to apply. 2nd was the Santa Maria, this kit did not come with the glue and did as the 1st kit come w/tube water color paint. Let me add here, you must apply in thin coats, because the water content will distort the card! The paint was just wonderful if applied correctly and could be over coated w/different effects that resembled wood wonderfully. 3rd was Berbice. This kit came with what I see most now do, plastic tubs of paint and again careful applications must be adhered to. This kit came w/copper tape and is quite realistic if applied with care. Let me add, the Butopren is outstanding for all the card work, but if you are applying the thin paper parts I recommend the following and this goes for the kits that come as book format, Kittifix a German white glue for card models. Great stuff. Of the kits the Santa Maria was the hardest because of the major painting and worrying about screwing the pooch with too much moisture. Berbice took the longest because of the copper sheathing. But my favorite of the lot was the French Lugger Le Courer. I have tucked away the HMS Wolf and a book format w/laser cut frames, sail pack w/wood dowels and laser cut blocks HMS Alert. The HMS Wolf is by far the most advanced kit I have purchased of these kits so far, though I would love to have the HMS Mercury, but the price for that one is high, but well worth with what you get. With that all said might I offer the following suggestion, before you tackle on of these wonderfully engineered laser cut kits, try one of the book formats 1st, but by all means if possible purchase the laser cut frame for that kit. If you see you like the process and wish to continue, then give a boxed laser cut kit a go. The book kits can be built to a remarkable degree of realism as well. I have for a long time built card/paper models. None come close to these kits. But be fore warned, they are for the serious builder and I strongly suggest you give one ago if you think you might like. These are not wood kits, but build like a wood kit. Let me add also, I have 1 tube of the Butapren left and I guard this stuff as if gold. I had no idea you could order thru Amazon! Wonderful review and I hope to see one of your build threads soon.
Rick

@Neophyte Shipwright wonderful personal experience and and most welcome recommendations! Thumbs-Up many thanks for sharing with us. If you don't mind, can you share the photos of your finished models? That's would be great and thank you in advance!
Sadly I had a computer to dump and lost all the photos I had of these. Then, every time I have finished one, I have either given to someone and in the case of the last two, they were sold. It has been awhile since I built w/card since in my ole age I have been building mostly in wood. My wife has been asking why I have stopped building in card since they required little space to display, the wood ones take so much to display. I promised her soon I would do another and when I do, I will post a build thread of the HMS Wolf.
Rick

Back