Super glue

Th enclosed picture shows a small bottle of cyanacrilate glue, typically a thin type. I am not sure if this is available outside of South Africa, but the principle is the same. I used the long thin applicator originally, but was struck with clogging problems. The bottle on the right is new. The one on the left has been in use since December of last year, with the cap left off, exposing the hole, which is approx. 0.5 mm diameter. Open!! If the hole is smaller, such as when you screw on a (the) cap, the glue will bondCyanacrilate.jpg with it, resulting in the clogging problem.

So, one part of the solution is to leave the bottle open (and make sure it is in a stand of some sort, so that it doesn't tip over!). The hole is too large for the glue to clog - excess glue just runs back due to viscosity.

So how do you apply it without making a terrible mess? Tip the bottle and let a drop run out on a non-absorbant surface such as a piece of plate, top of a can, or whatever is convenient. Then use a strip of brass or tin or whatever is convenient, about 50 or 80 cm long, 2 mm wide, to pick up a droplet of glue to apply where necessary. The tip of this strip can be split to ensure more glue being picked up, but this is not exact science. Use whatever is convenient for you.

The main thing is that the glue bottle remains open, with the hole just large enough so that the dglue does not clog it.

Regards
Jan

I cannot use CA glues. Period. Each time after using it I get sick with running nose and clogged nose breathing passages for a few days. Wearing KN95 respirator mask, opening windows, using super small droplets of glue- none of this help.

Th enclosed picture shows a small bottle of cyanacrilate glue, typically a thin type. I am not sure if this is available outside of South Africa, but the principle is the same. I used the long thin applicator originally, but was struck with clogging problems. The bottle on the right is new. The one on the left has been in use since December of last year, with the cap left off, exposing the hole, which is approx. 0.5 mm diameter. Open!! If the hole is smaller, such as when you screw on a (the) cap, the glue will bondView attachment 282152 with it, resulting in the clogging problem.

So, one part of the solution is to leave the bottle open (and make sure it is in a stand of some sort, so that it doesn't tip over!). The hole is too large for the glue to clog - excess glue just runs back due to viscosity.

So how do you apply it without making a terrible mess? Tip the bottle and let a drop run out on a non-absorbant surface such as a piece of plate, top of a can, or whatever is convenient. Then use a strip of brass or tin or whatever is convenient, about 50 or 80 cm long, 2 mm wide, to pick up a droplet of glue to apply where necessary. The tip of this strip can be split to ensure more glue being picked up, but this is not exact science. Use whatever is convenient for you.

The main thing is that the glue bottle remains open, with the hole just large enough so that the dglue does not clog it.

Regards
Jan
toothpicks

Th enclosed picture shows a small bottle of cyanacrilate glue, typically a thin type. I am not sure if this is available outside of South Africa, but the principle is the same. I used the long thin applicator originally, but was struck with clogging problems. The bottle on the right is new. The one on the left has been in use since December of last year, with the cap left off, exposing the hole, which is approx. 0.5 mm diameter. Open!! If the hole is smaller, such as when you screw on a (the) cap, the glue will bondView attachment 282152 with it, resulting in the clogging problem.

The main thing is that the glue bottle remains open, with the hole just large enough so that the dglue

Regards
Jan
So...try this: take a tea candle (small votive wax candle) and pull the wick out. Then heat it and smooth it into a little bowl. Squirt your CA in there and use a appropriate needle or tool to get a drop and place the glue where you want. The CA in the little candle bowl will stay wet all day - you may need to add more glue as you use it up. Its a great way to let you apply tiny drops of CA where you need it. You'll have to wipe the needle (I use a dentl pick tool) clean periodically. The attached picture has the candle thing I use - works very well. Usually at the end of the day, I wipe it out with a paper towel.
20211013_133733.jpg20211013_133722.jpg

My solution to using CA. I put a few drops in the small cup (It will stay usable for a day or two uncapped). I apply using a needle with the tip sanded down for really tiny spot applications, and an adjustable drafting pen for larger places. In between applications I keep them in a small bottle of acetone.

CA glue.jpg

Back