SY Endurance - OcCre

Completed model from OcCre’s kit. Embellishments added including radio receiver antenna, added ”roller” for foremast topsail, tried to depict rudder mechanism at helm, used machined brass stanchion in place of the supplied photo etched ones, added motor and propellor to one of the ship’s boats, etc.

35901D3A-D202-4261-A066-4160C5C80F81.jpeg

74295C10-D159-493D-8591-F4EB9F00FA6C.jpeg

18348886-0DB8-4563-A0E2-62B0F37ED941.jpeg

D448E040-5379-4D04-B0E9-3043D26D017A.jpeg

F6C0B11E-0B27-45FE-91BF-8D0090F223BB.jpeg

EDAB191F-F2C3-4E46-9DD3-FC3262EFBBC9.jpeg

B8909EE8-BCE8-4FE9-A187-FEA71B1C81A3.jpeg

B5B834A8-837F-46C6-B43A-AA5EF8910D37.jpeg

CC2BF6AE-F7A7-48F6-8654-7155CFDE6A37.jpeg

32123419-3DF6-4E9C-AD13-75EFFE04F76F.jpeg

Not RC. The Endurance was equipped with a radio receiver (unfortunately no transmitter). A Marconi style antenna was mounted between the foremast and mizzenmast.

Thank for the outstanding pictures. I recently purchased this kit and have not yet started the build. Your pictures will be a valuable resource and inspiration. I am now building OcCre Essex and will begin the Endurance later this summer.

Bill W.
shipmodelbill@gmail.com
Thanks very much. Good luck with the Essex, you’re enjoy building the Endurance. Being an early 20th century vessel, it has an advantage of having several photographs available. Many of them on Getty Images.

I am nearing the end of my endurance build but, I fear, my detail is not as finely done as yours.
I also added roller furling so was very interested to see yours so well made. What did you use to make the two internal roller supports to the yard? Mine don't look as good as yours (see my build log)
I can only aspire to reach your level one day, hopefully before deteriation due to age meets me coming to other way

I see also that you didn't use Occre's supplied stanchions. Were yours very expensive? I found the doubles at a reasonable price but had no luck doing the same for the singles around the bow deck.

Lovely piece of work Richard, and well documented set of images. Have just received my Occre Endurance so will be my next project once I complete my current Endeavour build. Love the additional details of stores etc that you have added. What replacement stantions did you buy and were there any extras that you changed? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am nearing the end of my endurance build but, I fear, my detail is not as finely done as yours.
I also added roller furling so was very interested to see yours so well made. What did you use to make the two internal roller supports to the yard? Mine don't look as good as yours (see my build log)
I can only aspire to reach your level one day, hopefully before deteriation due to age meets me coming to other way
Thank you very much. For the roller attachment I used the same method as attaching the studding sail boom on the Beagle. See attached.
For the centre brackets, I used some brass strip, bent them and attached to yard.
In my early 70’s also, so I hear you.
cheers

8100E526-578C-40C6-BB9D-539BC9D0E9A5.jpeg

Last edited:
I see also that you didn't use Occre's supplied stanchions. Were yours very expensive? I found the doubles at a reasonable price but had no luck doing the same for the singles around the bow deck.
Hi again, I had a few doubles (from an old model that got destroyed), enough to do main deck. Bought the rest and some single stanchions from Cornwall Model Ships in UK, believe they are made by Caldercraft. Not inexpensive but made really well.
cheers
Richard

Lovely piece of work Richard, and well documented set of images. Have just received my Occre Endurance so will be my next project once I complete my current Endeavour build. Love the additional details of stores etc that you have added. What replacement stantions did you buy and were there any extras that you changed? Thanks in advance.
Thanks Keith, an enjoyable build. I purchased the single and double stanchions from Cornwall Model Ships, I believe they’re manufactured by Caldercraft. Not inexpensive, I can look up part numbers if you have trouble selecting. I also replaced the capstan, the OcCre one just looked like a toadstool. Also from Cornwall. The helm mechanism was built from scratch using the wheel supplied. Once again thanks, let me know if you need further details.
I‘m just starting OcCre’s Endeavour, what a massive model!
Cheers,
Richard

Thanks Keith, an enjoyable build. I purchased the single and double stanchions from Cornwall Model Ships, I believe they’re manufactured by Caldercraft. Not inexpensive, I can look up part numbers if you have trouble selecting. I also replaced the capstan, the OcCre one just looked like a toadstool. Also from Cornwall. The helm mechanism was built from scratch using the wheel supplied. Once again thanks, let me know if you need further details.
I‘m just starting OcCre’s Endeavour, what a massive model!
Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard. I buy my stuff from Cornwall Models so will have a look. The Endeavour is a nice build … it has been a massive build taking me over 2 years so far but I have a lot of other stuff on so i only work on it during free moments. It has been very enjoyable model and hope you get the same enjoyment from it. All the best and well done again, I will use your Endurance build for reference and inspiration

Very good model - Bravo
I like your hull extremely - with slightly visible planks under the paint - very realistic work

Completed model from OcCre’s kit. Embellishments added including radio receiver antenna, added ”roller” for foremast topsail, tried to depict rudder mechanism at helm, used machined brass stanchion in place of the supplied photo etched ones, added motor and propellor to one of the ship’s boats, etc.
Hallo @RichardJD
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back