Thank you for approving my request

Hello my name is Matus and I am from Slovakia. Do not know why flag is showing Germany. Maybe because I am connected in work and we have VPN here.
What can I tell you about myself? I would like to start some big wood ship model. Any suggestions?

Till this day I only completed palstic ones. I started small 8years ago. My last project was LE SOLEIL ROYAL 1/100 from HELLER. You can find pictures here https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/le-soleil-royal-1-100-heller.4099/

I would like to do WAZA kit from Billing boats - it can be bought in Slovakia (middle Europe). I also already read some articles about building wood ships. My main concern is to build bow planking. This step looks most hard for me. Any suggestion how to get more information? I have so many questions :D.
Are the instructions in the kits any good?

Welcome aboard SOS, Matus! Actually you location shows United Kingdom (as of my time writings). It is because of VPN as you mentioned. Program capture IP address where you opened SOS.

As for the suggestions what model you should do next... It is not easy to answer. I've seen people want to build big, many guns, lots of decoration... but..., ask yourself if you are capable to finish it? Beside it is a multi-year project, it is require some skills and knowledge working with wood. You can start with a small plank-on-bulkhead project for the beginner. Building it, you can fill the taste of woodworking and grasp some skills for wooden ship models. You will quickly realize what is this all about. Also, you would need to acquire some woodworking tools.

In the end, it is only your decision and we will support it alone with your desire. Good luck, and welcome to our family, SOS. We are here to help!

Welcome aboard SOS, Matus! Actually you location shows United Kingdom (as of my time writings). It is because of VPN as you mentioned. Program capture IP address where you opened SOS.

As for the suggestions what model you should do next... It is not easy to answer. I've seen people wants to build big, many gun's, lots of decoration... but..., ask yourself if you are capable to finish it? Beside it is a multi-year project, it is require some skills and knowledge working with wood. You can start with a small plank-on-frame project for beginner. Building it, you can fill the taste of woodworking and grasp some skills for wooden ship models. You will quickly realize what is this all about. Also, you would need to acquire soe woodworking tools.

At the end, it is only your decision and we will support it alone with your desire. Good luck, and welcome to our family, SOS. We are here to help!

After my father died this year he left my his small workshop. When I was younger I help him with many thinks. He was not builder of models, he was more like amater carpenter for our household. He teached me a lot of ways how to work with wood. I do not like to lose time on small projects. I can comit. Last plastic model I was building for 4 years, and you know the feeling when you are finished. It is fulfilling, but also some part of you ended. What I need is clear instruction how to do stuff. So maybe I am looking for producers who are clearer in the instructions. Already zoly99sask recommended Shipways as they should have more cleare instructions.

You can find very good drawings and manuals also with Jotika / Caldercraft kits, also good quality in timber etc.

Also from Victory models

IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH A POF MODEL CHECK OUT THE CAUSTIC FROM THE LUMBERYARD U TUBE INSTRUCTIONS IT COMES WITH A JIG A GOOD FIRST POF BUILD, ALSO LOOK AT THE NEW MODEL FROM TRIDENT MODELS USING NEW TECHNOLOGY, THIS IS JUST MY OPION. HOPE THIS HELPS Don

Welcome Matus. My very first wooden ship model was the Danmark, from a Billings kit. It was a plank on bulkhead kit and although somewhat complicated in the rigging, it was a strait forward hull to build and plank. I would recommend this type of hull design for a determined builder as you appear to be. STAY THE COURSE whatever you decide to build. There is nothing sadder than a partially finished model that has been tossed in the attic for a better day. Remember, regardless of how your first model turns out, the next one will always be better.

Jim

On the other hand I found Corsair by occre which is very interesting also. I have seen log here and already asked some questions. We will see. This will be longer process than I thought

Cześć!
Mam na imię Mirek, pochodzę z Polski i nie znam angielskiego. Aby tłumaczyć teksty forum używam tłumacza Google.
Bardzo mi miło, że przyjeliście mnie do swojego grona.
Obecnie pracuję nad dwoma modelami: HMS Surprise i La Solei Royale.
Serdecznie pozdrawiam

Hi!
My name is Mirek, I'm from Poland and I don't know English. I use Google translator to translate forum texts.
I am very pleased that you took me to your group.
I am currently working on two models: HMS Surprise and La Solei Royale.
Best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand I found Corsair by occre which is very interesting also. I have seen log here and already asked some questions. We will see. This will be longer process than I thought
I am thinking for my 1rst wooden kit HMS Beagle by Occre. Big scale, 1/64, good price in Europe and there is a step by step video series on you tube which I find very encouraging(even this model looks no easy for sure).

Back