The Art of Shipmodeling - Bernard Frolich

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

Does anyone know if this book from Ancre is written in English?

Thank you.

YES IT IS and i received my copy about a week ago just going over it it is a TOME BOY every page packed with info, and my next one is the 74 gun ship volume one to better understand french ship building and plans from ancre. THANKS Don

Thank you.
yes ,it is ,you need to choose the english version

Thank you.
Donnie,read the book review here

Everybody will burn me now. But this is not a book for beginner ! If you start with POF-Building there are nothing inside to learn POF-Building, to avoid errors or get a correct result. I was very disapointed, but maybe i don´t understood this book. The german translation is full with errors and doesn´t help you to understand the complex points. In my opinin there is a lot of secrets when you assemble the parts of a POF-Model. You can do here 1000 errors and a beginner need a clear instruction. But what you read is a phrase like " You have to assemble the frames correctly". Only the secrets of building of frames, the keel, the rabbet can fill the whole book. This book isn´t for beginner, but a professional as well doesen´t need it. In my opinion the buildingreports from colleagues, the communication with them, is the key to find the entrance to POF-Building. Sorry, my opinion. But with my experience i can talk a little bit about POF-Building.

Last edited:
All points are taken gracefully, even Oliver's. I will take it all into consideration. I have other books too that I was not too happy with. Just the nature of things.

Donnie

It is truly a great book. After reading it, you will be inspired to start POF building.

Yes. Printed 2002. Very well illustrated but for the advanced builders. Assumes prior knowledge and a good memory. A beautiful book. Tends to tell you to do things rather than how. I would consider exchanging it for The Fully Framed Model (swan) volume 2 if anyone is interested

In my humble opinion, this wonderful book is a "must have" for serious ship modellers. It is well illustrated, the photography is superb, and it covers a host of topics that the serious ship modeller will be interested in. It is not for the beginner, it is directed to the scratch building advanced modeller.

Bob

I don t think scratch building is for a beginner, start with a simple kit, followed by more advanced kits and finally kit bashing before scratch building.
Scratch building is to my opinion not about having a manual which exactly explains how to do everything. It is about getting a good drawing, review it a thousant times, build it in your mind several times before you put the first piece of wood in the saw table.
Book are needed for reference and Bernhard Frohlichs book is a beautiful example of that, it is not a manual to make a scratch build because you do that with your own skills, and off course the help of others like this forum.

WELL SAID MAARTEN, WELL SAID, JUST my thoughts on scratch build, as most can see i struggle with some componets of scratch building bthings that i never could do right, if i stopped my scratch build now i would still be greatly pleased with what i learned so far it will stick like SHELLACK, nowb i want to take it a step further and continue the build, WHEN YOU WANT TO START A SCRATCH BUILD LET YOUR HEAD RULE, NO 74 gun fully armed and rigged IT WILL NOT HAPPEN, but choose one thgat you THINK YOU CAN BE SUCESSFULL AND BE WILLING TO MAKE MISTAKES AND RE-DO, and learn, REMEMBER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU WILL NEVER KNOW AND THAT IS WHAT SOS IS HERE FOR. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

Back