The Bridge on the River Kwai

Ha ha ha. I learnt such skills as a young lad. When I was at RAAF tech training school, we all had a task to build a vice at micrometer precision. I finished the job in two days. Everybody else was still on it for another 2-3 days. I had nothing to do during but wait. Bored, I decided to sharpen all the knives in the smoko room. The Sgt knicked himself while buttering his bread roll (one up for the trainees). Band to stay in the machine shop after that, I soon discovered a drawer full of broken drill bits. They soon got reshaped and sharpened too. No NCO in the shop knew how to sharpen a repair a broken drill bit (another one for the trainees). They were sure happy to see me go into Avionics ;):D.
Lol I love sharpening knives. Gave my EDC work knife to a coworker to open a box he was like holly s*^t that thing is sharp, I told him wouldn't be much good if it wasn't I have sharpened it sharp enough to split a hair. There is nothing like a sharp knife. I have never been good with drill bits for some reason but I can get end mills super sharp

You planning on blowing her up when finished like they did in the film? :D
Ha ha ha. No mate! Somebody already beat me to it.

83zat6T.gif

Next step was to add the main girders. It was easier to first add supporting braces to the underside of the girders.

goYpaDM.jpg

gTPXQkb.jpg

Then tapered long 4 mm supporting beam to outer braces to create cantilever structures.

2vnM227.jpg

8nOKzef.jpg

Glued bamboo pairs of skewers, and then tapered them too. They were for the top supporting beams.

hF5JDQ5.jpg

Spoke with an old friend, Jack. His father was one of the Australian POW on this Death Railway. He had five scars around his chest area where they run him through with a bayonet, missing his vital organs. It must have been terrifying to think that he faced death upon each thrust. Jack and I wept from his story. I did not tell him that I have seen photographs of such actions.

HisvNPV.jpg

I am not going to complete the main cantilever portion of the bridge construction. They idea is to provide recognition of the iconic bridge, yet show reason why POWs are still working on the bridge (to complete the construction).

7vxNxJj.jpg

IqnneU5.jpg

However, the rest of the bridge needs to be completed. While aligning cross beams to the piers I used a pencil mark for guide where the shorter pieces ought to go. This pointed mark led me to the idea of using it to simulate the iron pins used for securing them. Here, I am experimenting on how it may look. Will later do this all over the bridge construction.

3HNA5wU.jpg

Cantilever structures are completed for this model.

uDQPZ1o.jpg

Very nice, Your fast Brother this is coming together quickly
Sorry you got that impression, though it is fairly close to the original progress rate. I did work on this day and night, every day, until . . .
Currently about one third through the build. Have stopped (intermission) to complete Wardell Bridge Diorama. Thought you might be interested to see what I have done so far.
;):)

Truly AMAZING work. I built a pagoda when I was a kid for a school project that ended up on the evening news that's the only structure I have ever built. It turned out nice but nothing like the work you do. Here is a picture of that pagoda as it sits currently. It was used as a lookout tower during the battle of north point in 1814 the whole hill has cannons surrounding it and its the highest point for miles. I been itching to build it again this time much nicer and not from popsicle sticks. DJI_0031.JPG

WOW. Nice looking pagoda (new word for me, thanks). Joe @epicdoom , I hope you do have another go at building it, and it's surrounds. It ought to be a 'Headliner' in future Evening News. At least it would become a local historical museum piece ;).

Thanks for sharing and showing.

Here, the POWs are building a trestle bridge. In my research I have sought to find out if they used saw pits, but all to no avail. In this photo, I am wondering if they used the bridge trestles to saw these girders.

jMRAePI.jpg

When I get home Ill enlarge the picture and see If I can find any saws laying up there or being used. I'm on a cell phone so not that good a picture enlarged on this tiny display. I may end up rebuilding that pagoda originally it had wood railings it's been repaired and modernized over the years. Photo is from my drone I'm standing near the statue in the lower center if the picture holding a white remote control

When I get home Ill enlarge the picture and see If I can find any saws laying up there or being used. I'm on a cell phone so not that good a picture enlarged on this tiny display. I may end up rebuilding that pagoda originally it had wood railings it's been repaired and modernized over the years. Photo is from my drone I'm standing near the statue in the lower center if the picture holding a white remote control
Ha ha. Very interesting.
You know, drones can be an extremely helpful research tool for the scratch-builder. They can go places, such as you pointed out, to take photographs of things not found elsewhere. Example. A top-down (plan) view of the pagoda and pathways, side view of roof, etc. to get best shots for extrapolating measurements (if you can't access plans).

Cutting strips of 1 mm plastic sheet for track rail. Used 5 mm cut block of wood for track gauge. Glued strips into place.
Then masked and painted the tracks a brown-grey colour. Later, mixed silver paint to the brn-gry for top of tracks. Used a cotton bud to wipe paint onto top of tracks. Photos don't really show the differences between rust and shiny surfaces, but it looks quite good.

GHJdA3L.jpg

jSYEYQu.jpg

Ha ha. Very interesting.
You know, drones can be an extremely helpful research tool for the scratch-builder. They can go places, such as you pointed out, to take photographs of things not found elsewhere. Example. A top-down (plan) view of the pagoda and pathways, side view of roof, etc. to get best shots for extrapolating measurements (if you can't access plans).
Yep I use my drone for a lot of stuff I have the DJI Mavic Pro I fly it up amongst rigging on the constellation to look at the blocks hooks and other items I want to replicate in a build I have planned. I have been Flying RC most of my life so I'm very exp. pilot threading a drone through ships rigging isn't for the faint at heart especially when they average in cost of $1,400 -1,700.00 I have a commercial drone pilots lic. and I fly every weekend weather permitting. Helps keep my flying skills sharp.

Vehicle pathway and balconies.

XpZzT9Y.jpg

Cur strips of 1 mm sheet plastic for joists and handrails. Cut, drilled, and filed half the joists for hand rail posts.

BspJn0e.jpg

HSQ6mEv.jpg

MX57iWf.jpg

THANKS FOR WATCHING. Much appreciated.
This build has come to an intermission. Will restart this build in New Year. I am now putting all my time into completing the Bridge and Boat Diorama build. Hope to see you there.

RXvNqaa.jpg

Last edited:
Back