The Hayling Hoy 1759, 1:48 by Steve

SteveA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Messages
106
Points
103

Location
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys,
Well I have actually made a start on The Hayling Hoy. I purchased the book from Seawatch last month and have been going over the drawings and planning the build. I have made a start and have begun documenting the process, mostly because I will more than likely require assistance along the way.

The first issue I came across was not wanting to damage the original drawings that came with the book. As I have a large format printer for architectural work it was a matter of scanning the large sheets and getting copies made. The issue I had was my scanner is just a A4 job. I began scanning the documents in section and used the automate photo merge function in Photoshop CS, brilliant tool which makes perfect alignment of the documents.
1.jpg

Here you can see the merge is flawless and after measuring the originals with calipers its good to go.

2.jpg

Here I was getting ready to start cutting out the shapes for the templates which will be used on Oak for all the structural members of the build.

4.jpg
This build so far uses a simplified scarph joint which suits me fine for my first whole scratch built model. I had to measure some dimensions in metric and I also needed to study the sections to ascertain how this all goes together. Along with this I needed to figure out the exact terminology. Slowly getting there.

IMG_2336.JPG

On the image below and the area circled is where I had a little dilemma to start with. You can see above the keel a smaller part which I originally thought was part of the keel.

InkedIMG_2336_LI.jpg

After attempting to manufacture the keel and not knowing the rising wood was seperate, I ended up with a combined rising wood/keel peice.
IMG_2338.JPGIMG_2339.JPGIMG_2340.JPGIMG_2341.JPGIMG_2342.JPGIMG_2343.JPGIMG_2349.JPGIMG_2350.JPG

Well after finishing up I found a great article on ship construction and scrapped the piece in order to construct it correctly.

oxfordhb-9780199336005-graphic206-full.gif

After sorting through that issue I started to get serious with the setup and proceeded to setup the building board braces and pieces to lock the keel into position. Whilst building the keel I went for the option of placing some black card stock into the join to simulate the tar. Works pretty well I think.

IMG_2355.JPG


IMG_2356.JPG

So there we have it for now, so far so good. The next challenge is to sort out the keel rabbit, I think I might make a steel template and use it as a scraper. I will think more on this as it might just be quicker to use the trusty ole chisel as I dont have a v gauge. Maybe I should buy one as there will be many more scratch build in the future.

Thanks for stopping in guys.

Steve
 

Attachments

NMBROOK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
396
Points
268

Location
Yorkshire England
Great start Steve.It is easy to get misled with some of these drawings and sometimes it becomes apparent all is not what it initially seems.I am in a similar situation studying the keel/frame assembly on Saint-Philippe.The riders looked like one piece but on further cross referencing with sectional drawings they are infact multiple pieces of timber scarphed together.

Kind Regards

Nigel
 

SteveA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Messages
106
Points
103

Location
Melbourne, Australia
Afternoon All, well I have had a few hours to fiddle through-ought the week and below is my work thus far. I have slowly made sense of the drawings and have managed to slowly transfer this into the 3d wood pieces for the keel and associated parts.

With the aid of a vice and some nice sharp chisels I was able to make pretty quick work of the rising wood.
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2358.JPGIMG_2359.JPGIMG_2360.JPG
A few small areas left to tweak with a file but all in all its there. This is just sitting on top of the keel for now until I fix it to the building board with some screws. I wanted to get a few more keel pieces fashioned before fixing it down.

The stern members were next on the agenda and spent some time cutting up some more oak for these parts.

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2357.JPGIMG_2358.JPGIMG_2359.JPGIMG_2360.JPGIMG_2361.JPG

InkedIMG_2362_LI.jpg

You can see in the above image I made a little boo boo which shouldn't make any difference when corrected. I left the stem a little long which I will now have to lop off and hope the wing transom covers it completely. I should think it will be fine, as you can see its a little rough here and needs to be properly fairs and sections removed for the fashion pieces.

IMG_2363.JPG

Here you can see I have squirted out some of my favorite white glue.

IMG_2364.JPG

Mixed in some of my favorite black paint. Hey Presto, tar coloured glue. Nothing new here just thought I would show it.

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

All glued up and nowhere to go. You can see the glue looks a little grey but once the glue dries should be a nice dark matt black. The parts are also just roughed in for the moment and once its all dry I will fashion it as per the detail required. See below for the part I am working on the plans.
InkedSide View 1_LI.jpg
Circled in pink, as if it wasn't obvious enough :)

Thats it for now gents have a great weekend
 

Attachments

Top