The other Eric's HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1:48 - Scratch build

Upper deck beams have been fitted. I think i have a good method for this now, including a method for angled notching where the beams meet the deck clamps. Learning some thing new every day.20201129_175634.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Eric, I don't own the Proxxon Fet tablesaw, What is the arbor size 10mm or 12mm?
The blade with my Proxon FET saw when delivered was a rip saw blade. You can get. and I had ordered, a finer toothed cross cut blade which works better but I would like one finer than that but only a diamond type of "grinding through" blade is offered and I don't want to burn my way through wood. Hardness of the wood is also a problem when trying to do sharply cut pieces I have discovered. Rich (PT-2)

The blade with my Proxon FET saw when delivered was a rip saw blade. You can get. and I had ordered, a finer toothed cross cut blade which works better but I would like one finer than that but only a diamond type of "grinding through" blade is offered and I don't want to burn my way through wood. Hardness of the wood is also a problem when trying to do sharply cut pieces I have discovered. Rich (PT-2)
What do you mean by finer Rich? More and smaller teeth? If so have a look at NO 28 730 for instance. That blade has 250 very small teeth.
In case you by finer means a thinner blade then have a look at NO 28 020 or NO 28 011, both are only 0.5mm wide and have pretty small teeth as well. However these 2 are only 50 mm in diameter but unless you are cutting planks for a full size ship I guess it should be enough

How many gallons will that long baby deliver? Rich (PT-2)

Goodwin says each of these elm tree pumps could move about 25 gallons/minute. (Construction and Fitting of the English Man-of-War, p. 142).

Last edited:
Nice work on the elm tree pump. How did you do the reinforcing bands?
Dave ( @DocBlake ) is all about the reinforcing bands lately.:)
I used a razor blade to cut very thin strips of dark, heavyweight, paper. (Paper was a very dark grey color). I blocked this with a ruler to get as thin, but even a strip as I could. Very light PVA glue on the back side and wrapped the strip around the pump. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get the wraparound to match up perfectly, especially if the cut isn't perfectly even, but it's not hard at all, and I really like the look.

Last edited:
Dave is all about the reinforcing bands lately.:)
I used a razor blade to cut very thin strips of dark, heavyweight, paper. (Paper was a very dark grey color). I blocked this with a ruler to get as thin, but and even strip as I could. Very light PVA glue on the back side and wrapped the strip around the pump. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get the wraparound to match up perfectly, especially if the cut isn't perfectly even, but it's not hard at all, and I really like the look.
Paper or whatever it needs to get the job done and your path was very well carried out. Excellent. Rich (PT-2)

Back