The Real Andrea Gail

One of my favorite movies involving a vessel is the story of the Andrea Gail whose tragic tale was captured in both a novel and movie entitled, "The Perfect Storm". I wanted to build the actual boat and not the vessel that was used in the movie, "The Lady Grace". After several months of research I was only able to find a handful of photos of the Gail and immediately noticed the difference between the two boats. I decided to purchase Billings Boats 1/60 scale model of the Gail and essential modify the kit (Lady Grace) to match the real sword boat. Aside from the modifications I also elected to install lighting (really makes a model complete). The build process took four months and was extremely enjoyable as I felt the boat come to life and took time to reflect on her crew that was lost a sea. Hope you enjoy...

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_4022.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4080.jpeg

IMG_4090.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my favorite movies involving a vessel is the story of the Andrea Gail whose tragic tale was captured in both a novel and movie entitled, "The Perfect Storm". I wanted to build the actual boat and not the vessel that was used in the movie, "The Lady Grace". After several months of research I was only able to find a handful of photos of the Gail and immediately noticed the difference between the two boats. I decided to purchase Billings Boats 1/60 scale model of the Gail and essential modify the kit (Lady Grace) to match the real sword boat. Aside from the modifications I also elected to install lighting (really makes a model complete). The build process took four months and was extremely enjoyable as I felt the boat come to life and took time to reflect on her crew that was lost a sea. Hope you enjoy...

View attachment 440082

View attachment 440083

View attachment 440084

View attachment 440085

View attachment 440086

View attachment 440088

View attachment 440089

View attachment 440091

View attachment 440092

View attachment 440093

View attachment 440094

View attachment 440095

View attachment 440096

View attachment 440097

View attachment 440098

View attachment 440099

View attachment 440100
Fantastic! Nothing more needs be said.

It turned out really spectacular, and only in four months! You have really worked

What absolutely superb craftsmanship! Congrats too on not being satisfied with a model of the mechanismo film star and for doing the research to construct a more authentic representation of the actual lost Andrea Gail. I have but one suggestion, which you must understand comes from a lifelong builder of aircraft and AFV model vignettes and dioramas: in the interest of accuracy she needs to be dirtied up some, sir. I don't say she needs to look like a newly-salvaged wreck...overdoing of "weathering" or "distressing" is perhaps the most frequent form of modelling errata...but the Gail in the photos looks fresh off the ways. (Well, except for the dead swordfish.) That, of course, is perfectly fine if you so intended but she'd be more "natural" if she represented the ship after a few weeks of bucking the North Atlantic elements.
That's only my personal opinion of course. In any event, your model shipwright's skills are praiseworthy to be sure. Thank you for sharing this delightful build.

Kilo66, Thank you for the compliments and feedback! You really brought up an issue that I truly had internal struggle with during the final stages of the build - weathering. I have several builds that capture the impact of weather, age, etc., and I considering doing this with the Gail. I also considered doing her on a diorama climbing up the infamous huge wave... At the end I elected to have her pristine, a reflection of her finer days. However, I may actually revisit the weathering issue based on your feedback - and the struggle continues...

Cheers!

This is absolutely gorgeous! And, the lights are a fantastic addition! Really enjoyed the movie, esp with Capt Greenlaw, from near my "neck of the woods."

Blessings,
Kayak Girl

An excellent model of a boat with memories dear to the many who still go down to the sea in ships.
I particularly like the swordfish ("Me? Just stopped by to take a look.. uh-oh...."). The lighting really brings it to life. Incredible and beautifully done.

The Perfect Storm will have happened 33 years ago, come October-November this year, hard to believe.

This is absolutely gorgeous! And, the lights are a fantastic addition! Really enjoyed the movie, esp with Capt Greenlaw, from near my "neck of the woods."

Blessings,
Kayak Girl
Hi Kayak Girl, Thank you for your feedback. I am from the neck of the woods as well. I Grew up in Attleboro and fished off of Cape Cod as a youngster. Love Captain Greenlaw, she was a true pioneer for her time!

An excellent model of a boat with memories dear to the many who still go down to the sea in ships.
I particularly like the swordfish ("Me? Just stopped by to take a look.. uh-oh...."). The lighting really brings it to life. Incredible and beautifully done.

The Perfect Storm will have happened 33 years ago, come October-November this year, hard to believe.
Thank you Brad, I very much appreciate your feedback. Its hard to believe its been 33 years...

Hi Kayak Girl, Thank you for your feedback. I am from the neck of the woods as well. I Grew up in Attleboro and fished off of Cape Cod as a youngster. Love Captain Greenlaw, she was a true pioneer for her time!
You may even know the name Capt Rick Miles(?). He fished out of Gloucester before taking on the Schooner Timberwind in Rockport, ME. Capt Greenlaw went back to her home island (Isle au Haut--25 miles from where I grew up via a boat) to lobster fish with her dad for a few years, adopted a troubled young girl; then went to Alaska to fish! (Missed her on the 'Deadly Catch' not having cable.) She is amazing and her books are as well! I'm begging hubby to take me to see the CG rescue boat from the 1952 storm off Nantucket. ( CG-36500 out of Chatham at the time). (I'm from Maine

Blessings,
Kayak Girl

Hi Bovine, Absolutely superb job you have done for her.
I have not watched the film about her but it is something to look for on the net:).
Regards
Gary

Very beautiful and well done
is it your first boat from Billings boat ? Is it worth buying their products, with wich difficulty level ?
they have many fish boats, and I don't like much sail boats, so I would like to try Billing's boats
Thank you

nongri, I have built most of the Billings inventory over the decades. There is better available but also a whole lot worse. Overall, I have found their products to be a very good value for the money and fun to build. I particularly enjoyed their impressive Norske Love and Calypso kits. If sailing ships aren't your bag, they offer a number of very nice modern era ship alternatives such as the Zwart Zee ocean salvage tug, the vintage Saint Canute ice-breaker tug, and commercial fishermen like the Andrea Gail or the cutter Monterey. All will yield impressive results if you take your time. On the whole, their instructions are pretty well written and illustrated. That's my two-cent's worth. Here are a couple of useful links: https://premiershipmodels.us/manufacturers/billing-boats/ and https://www.harbormodels.com/billingboats.html
Tight lines!

Back