The Red Dragon -Artesania Latina-

I didn't like the cannons carriage.....20200623_172832.jpg20200623_174444.jpg

So searching ancient Chinese cannons I found a couple of options. I did this :

20200701_091252.jpg

In the middle of next picture is the kit cannon carriage side.

20200701_092049.jpg

With the cannons

20200701_101224.jpg

Still needed to be better shaped so....

20200701_111251.jpg

This is the final outcome

20200701_113448.jpg
20200701_121448.jpg
20200701_121622.jpg

Vacation time is helping to do all these.... :)

Cheers
Daniel

Hi

I finished a few more details, like side stairs, lanterns, etc. Still need some painting, Windows for the cabin, anchor, mast, ropes and sails. I will work on those items during the week, because I am dying to jump to another project. But, as I wrote when I started the Efim Nikonov, .....this Chinese Junk soon will be finished......or the boss will not allow me to buy more kits (also she says that I have enought kits for 2 life's.... my answer always is... don't worry I can built many up to my 100's ... LOL )

20200731_130525.jpg20200731_130536.jpg20200731_130557.jpg20200731_130638.jpg20200731_130656.jpg20200731_130716.jpg

I'm just starting a RedDragon I found online from a remainders dealer. Your work and finish are very nice. Did you use the furnished super fine deck planking? I'm at that point and am hesitant as it seems too thin to end up looking like planking.

I lived on and sailed a junk for a few years and will be making many changes to the illustrated sails and rigging for accuracy sake.

I'm just starting a RedDragon I found online from a remainders dealer. Your work and finish are very nice. Did you use the furnished super fine deck planking? I'm at that point and am hesitant as it seems too thin to end up looking like planking.

I lived on and sailed a junk for a few years and will be making many changes to the illustrated sails and rigging for accuracy sake.

Hi ...thank you !! YES I used the material provided in the kit on my 2 Red Dragons. On this one I still have to finish the Masts and Sails/Rigging. I would like to wait to see your changes, and I can try those.

Are you planning to post a log ? .
Best
Daniel

I wasn't but maybe I should if I can figure out how to do it.
Right now I'm puzzling out the deck layout. All those windlasses are silly. The only big jobs on a Junk are raising the sails and anchor. Maybe cargo handling too. One Chinese type windlass in the right place would do the job.
The aft-most sail is too far forward and too large in my opinion. In sailing, I found that it moved the center of effort so far back that the boat wouldn't keep on a heading. But in close quarters it could pivot the boat in its own length when dead in the water or going so slowly that the rudder didn't have a steering purchase. I've studied some old films of junks in Hong Kong harbor and that looks like that's what's going on. Without a definitive source to cite, I'm convinced they were steering sails in harbor and little used at sea.
"The Practical Junk Rig" by Blondie Hassler is a good reference on setting up the rig. But its pretty pricey.

I wasn't but maybe I should if I can figure out how to do it.
Right now I'm puzzling out the deck layout. All those windlasses are silly. The only big jobs on a Junk are raising the sails and anchor. Maybe cargo handling too. One Chinese type windlass in the right place would do the job.
The aft-most sail is too far forward and too large in my opinion. In sailing, I found that it moved the center of effort so far back that the boat wouldn't keep on a heading. But in close quarters it could pivot the boat in its own length when dead in the water or going so slowly that the rudder didn't have a steering purchase. I've studied some old films of junks in Hong Kong harbor and that looks like that's what's going on. Without a definitive source to cite, I'm convinced they were steering sails in harbor and little used at sea.
"The Practical Junk Rig" by Blondie Hassler is a good reference on setting up the rig. But its pretty pricey.

Thank you for the info !!!

Posting a log is exactly what you are doing now and at the bottom is the link to attach files.

If you need help the moderators will provide it. SOS is a great forum.

Cheers
Daniel

Back