The right way to weigh anchor with a windlass: HMS Alert

I've seen a lot of fantastic versions of HMS Alert from the group build and have questions.

What's the right to weigh anchor with a windlass. It seems impractical to use a messenger rope as you would with a capstan because the windlass is so far forward and the messenger wouldn't be able to track over where the cable is being stowed below deck.

Is the windlass wider than the height of a capstan because you are winching the actual anchor cable rather than the messenger?

Were there crew aft of the windlass hauling cable towards the stern towards below deck? I understand there were always crew below coiling the cable to allow for ease of use and proper drying.

For a ship with a large windlass forward and capstan aft, which device was used to haul anchor? I ask because I built Hayling Hoy, a harbor ship meant to haul goods to and from other ships, and it has both.

More of historical learning but also to represent the situation properly. Any comments and diagrams welcome. I've done some searching and came up empty handed but I know some on the forum just know.

Thanks!

Using a windlass for weighing anchors was only possible with lighter anchors
- there was (as I know) no messanger cable when they used a windlass - I can not imagine how it should work
prblematic was the windlass, because there is not permanent turning poissible, because the seamen had to put out and put in the sticks for turning - so every time an interruption - also much less seamen were able to push and turn the windlass because of the space -> less seamen-power
When the capstan was used for lifting an anchor it was every time with a messanger cable - permanet turning was possible with much more seamen working - so the anchors could have been much heavier.

d4802.jpg

When bot were installed - capstan and windlass:
I can imagine, that the windlass was for the anchor and the capstan for lifting the cargo and the boats.....

Please take also a look at this topic

Thanks so much Uwe, very helpful. And the links led to so much more! Beautiful content, I learned a lot. The whole windlass hauling out an anchor didn't make much sense to me either.

Glenn

Back