The sailing beam trawler Erycina from Vanguard Models [COMPLETED BUILD]

Waiting in anticiPATION! (Rocky Horror Picture Show)! ROTF

Hi Folks,
Well that's just about Erycina finished, I might add a few ropes here and there but that will be all. I have to say that she was a really fun build and all the parts where of high quality. The only kit parts that I did not use where the standard issue blocks which I changed for a mixture of VM's better ones and some of Dry Dock Models both a great improvement. Other than that I scratch built a few deck fittings and made the sails up from acrylic painted silkspan. The only near disaster I had was when wetting the jib sail to fold down I let the water linger too long on the deck and it warped in places but I managed to get it ship shape with a little pva and a hot air gun.
I have learned and read a lot about this lovely class of trawler, developed and built from around the middle of the 19th century, mostly around Plymouth and Brixham. Around 800 where built and about half a dozen are still sailing today! Probably the most famous being the one in the little Pathe clip, Torbay Lass later called 'Kenya Jacaranda,' and now owned by Heritage Marine foundation and back using her original name. She was a flyer in her day. back in 1929 she won a race at an average speed of 14.9 knots in what was described as light to moderate winds! Bring on 'Bluenose'. By all accounts they where a very strongly built and safe boat. Oh to be back in the 1950's when they where practically giving them away.
One interesting read was a short study titled Notes on the fishing industry of Plymouth dated 1887 not long after Erycina was built, you can find it here. http://plymsea.ac.uk/id/eprint/109/1/Notes_on_the_fishing_industry_of_Plymouth.pdf
Any way here are some pictures of the finished boat (sorry for my usual lousy photo's) JJ.IMG_20220813_071102.jpgIMG_20220813_071133.jpgIMG_20220813_071150.jpgIMG_20220813_071214.jpgIMG_20220813_071233.jpgIMG_20220813_071239.jpgIMG_20220813_071259.jpgIMG_20220813_071310.jpgIMG_20220813_071320.jpgIMG_20220813_071328.jpgIMG_20220813_071334.jpgIMG_20220813_071402.jpgIMG_20220813_071416.jpgIMG_20220813_073119.jpgwow.jpg

IMG_20220812_123817.jpg

Dear Jack. I loved following this build of yours - done in no time, I might add! I thoroughly enjoyed your research and the story behind the story of this lovely trawler. Your photographs show that you have captured the spirit and atmosphere of those heady fishing days, perfectly in your build. Well done and congratulations, my friend!

You made a very beautiful trawler with many details, Jack. I like the sails, partly furled, very much. That gives my some inspiratie for my BN.
Regard, Peter
Hi Peter, I just read your build log for your Pocher Ducati and think she is fantastic. You deserve every credit for the skill you put in. The last bike I owned was a 916 Ducati and I have a real soft spot for the marque. Love it JJ. ps Thank you for your kind words about Erycina and I will look forward to BN build.

I thought that before she goes to a good home I would take some pics of Erycina with the 1/64 scale Alert that I built a couple of years ago. Both boats are about the same size, Alert 78', 60' stem to stern by 25' by 11' deep. Erycina 71', 63' s to s by 17' by 9.5'. By builders old method their tonnage works out at 166 BM and 81 BM respectively . It is amusing to think that the trawler had a crew of four while the cutter needed eighty four to man and fight her. The fish in Erycina's hold would have had more room than Alert's crew. Mind you with a beam trawl that could weight up to around three tons of fish and seabed it must have been quite a haul for three men and a boy. Erycina was one of the few in Plymouth to have a steam donkey engine for her winch. Most of the other boats crews refusing to work with them as the boat owner would reduce their wages by a quarter "since they would not have to work so hard", different world!

IMG_20220813_114855.jpgIMG_20220813_115251.jpgIMG_20220813_115327.jpgIMG_20220813_122648.jpg

I thought that before she goes to a good home I would take some pics of Erycina with the 1/64 scale Alert that I built a couple of years ago. Both boats are about the same size, Alert 78', 60' stem to stern by 25' by 11' deep. Erycina 71', 63' s to s by 17' by 9.5'. By builders old method their tonnage works out at 166 BM and 81 BM respectively . It is amusing to think that the trawler had a crew of four while the cutter needed eighty four to man and fight her. The fish in Erycina's hold would have had more room than Alert's crew. Mind you with a beam trawl that could weight up to around three tons of fish and seabed it must have been quite a haul for three men and a boy. Erycina was one of the few in Plymouth to have a steam donkey engine for her winch. Most of the other boats crews refusing to work with them as the boat owner would reduce their wages by a quarter "since they would not have to work so hard", different world!

View attachment 323332View attachment 323333View attachment 323335View attachment 323336
A nice couple, Jack. Yes, life was hard on those fishing boats.
Regards, Peter

Hi Jack. I've never posted to your build log before but have been watching from a distance. You should be very happy with the results of this build. She's a lovely ship and you handled the silkspan perfectly making some very believable sails. Congratulations!

Hi Jack. I've never posted to your build log before but have been watching from a distance. You should be very happy with the results of this build. She's a lovely ship and you handled the silkspan perfectly making some very believable sails. Congratulations!
Thank you Paul for taking the time to pass on your nice comments, likewise I have been watching your excellent log, and in awe I might say. I think everyone who has seen your Vasa is in awe. Sails in small scale always seem to be a problem to me but at least silkspan doesn't have the bulk of textiles when furred or let fall, also it is easily manipulated when wet and then dries fixed in position. Even so silkspan is around 1/4000 of an inch thick and that at 1/64 scale is still a quarter of an inch thick sail, while the little premade cotton sails that come with the kit are four times thicker! Not much is ever easy. Cheers JJ.

Congratulations!
Bravo - a real good model - very well done

Hi Folks,
Well that's just about Erycina finished, I might add a few ropes here and there but that will be all. I have to say that she was a really fun build and all the parts where of high quality. The only kit parts that I did not use where the standard issue blocks which I changed for a mixture of VM's better ones and some of Dry Dock Models both a great improvement. Other than that I scratch built a few deck fittings and made the sails up from acrylic painted silkspan. The only near disaster I had was when wetting the jib sail to fold down I let the water linger too long on the deck and it warped in places but I managed to get it ship shape with a little pva and a hot air gun.
I have learned and read a lot about this lovely class of trawler, developed and built from around the middle of the 19th century, mostly around Plymouth and Brixham. Around 800 where built and about half a dozen are still sailing today! Probably the most famous being the one in the little Pathe clip, Torbay Lass later called 'Kenya Jacaranda,' and now owned by Heritage Marine foundation and back using her original name. She was a flyer in her day. back in 1929 she won a race at an average speed of 14.9 knots in what was described as light to moderate winds! Bring on 'Bluenose'. By all accounts they where a very strongly built and safe boat. Oh to be back in the 1950's when they where practically giving them away.
One interesting read was a short study titled Notes on the fishing industry of Plymouth dated 1887 not long after Erycina was built, you can find it here. http://plymsea.ac.uk/id/eprint/109/1/Notes_on_the_fishing_industry_of_Plymouth.pdf
Any way here are some pictures of the finished boat (sorry for my usual lousy photo's) JJ.View attachment 323236View attachment 323237View attachment 323238View attachment 323239View attachment 323240View attachment 323241View attachment 323242View attachment 323243View attachment 323244View attachment 323245View attachment 323246View attachment 323247View attachment 323248View attachment 323249View attachment 323250

View attachment 323235
Good morning Jack. First class well done. You owned it for sure. Lovely and realistic looking rendition of the Erycina Trawler. Well done. Cheers Grant

Back