The sailing beam trawler Erycina

Awesome model, Jack!! Nice details and weathering! Is it a scratch build?
Hello Jim.
Thank you for you kind comments, no she started of as a kit from Vanguard Models in England. I just bashed it about a bit to try and get it looking like an old Victorian photograph of her coming back into Plymouth. She was great fun to build and a big change from warships.
erycina ply.png

Cheers JJ.

Hey mate great looking ship
Did the netting come with the shop cheers snowy
Hi Snowy, no it's just a bit of grouting removing cloth from a diy shop that I dyed in thinned acrylic black. Glad you like the boat. JJ.

in particular the representations of the ship's boat and the net are wonderful. I love British fishing vessels of that period, such character while being designed as just a work machine.

in particular the representations of the ship's boat and the net are wonderful. I love British fishing vessels of that period, such character while being designed as just a work machine.
Thanks Chris, I agree with you ,but the thing I like about these Plymouth/Brixham trawlers is that they worked all the week and then many of them raced in regattas at the weekend. They where remarkably fast, I think I said before Torbay Lass, a cotemporary of Erycina, once, in 1929, won a race at an average speed of 14.9 knots. Back in the day I raced a flying fifteen and never ever seen that speed. Glad you liked the wee boat, cheers JJ..

That is an absolutely beautiful model, I love the look of it, you accomplished what you set out to do, looks like she is fresh from the sea... rode hard and put up wet. Love it

Thanks Chris, I agree with you ,but the thing I like about these Plymouth/Brixham trawlers is that they worked all the week and then many of them raced in regattas at the weekend. They where remarkably fast, I think I said before Torbay Lass, a cotemporary of Erycina, once, in 1929, won a race at an average speed of 14.9 knots. Back in the day I raced a flying fifteen and never ever seen that speed. Glad you liked the wee boat, cheers JJ..
I crewed on a Brixham trawler twice in the '60s, taking part in the annual races.

(sorry to be picky, but the thread used for lacing the shroud deadeyes is undersize. everything else looks completely authentic. I trust that constructive criticism is not offensive, and hope you understand it is about helping you to achieve perfection).

Flying Fifteen - Uffa Fox? - never sailed one but always admired them.

Last edited:
Back