The Spray of Joshua Slocum - scale ?? - by The Sailor

Viconago, Varese (IT) - Vezio, Canton Ticino (CH)
Here Is my on-going build of the ship Spray the first boat around the world using just sails ...

It was the end of 1800's and Captain Slocum was a highly experienced navigator and ship owner. He rebuilt and refitted the derelict sloop Spray in a seaside pasture at Fairhaven, Massachusetts, over 13 months between early 1893 and 1894.
Between 24 April 1895 and 27 June 1898, Slocum, aboard the Spray, crossed the Atlantic twice (to Gibraltar and back to South America), negotiated the Strait of Magellan, and crossed the Pacific. He also visited Australia and South Africa before crossing the Atlantic (for the third time) to return to Massachusetts after a journey of 46,000 miles.

I started the building using just the picture and other infos looking at his book written during the ride.
I don't know which scale it is .... my be 1/20 or 25.

Piero

220px-Sailing-Alone-Around-the-World-cover.jpg20211215_150417.jpg20211215_150444.jpg20211215_150510.jpg

This boat was really impressive

Just searched for her and found the information on wikipedia:

Spray.jpg

Unbenannt.JPG

Self-steering ability

One of the most remarkable things about Spray was her ability to run before the wind under her regular fore-and-aft rig with the helm lashed, and hold her course for hours or days on end. If Spray had not had this ability, Slocum's performance would have been a physical impossibility.

On nearing the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Slocum noted "I didn't touch the helm, for with the current and heave of the sea the sloop found herself at the end of the run absolutely in the fairway of the channel. ... Then I trimmed her sails by the wind, took the helm, and flogged her up the couple of miles or so abreast the harbour landing, where I cast anchor at 3.30 pm, July 17, 1897, twenty-three days from Thursday Island. The distance run was twenty-seven hundred miles as the crow flies. ... During those twenty-three days I had not spent altogether more than three hours at the helm, including the time occupied in beating into Keeling harbour. I just lashed the helm and let her go; whether the wind was abeam or dead aft, it was all the same: she always stayed on her course.

and his book in an audio version

Really impressive - and I can understand your decision to build this model

Here Is my on-going build of the ship Spray the first boat around the world using just sails ...

It was the end of 1800's and Captain Slocum was a highly experienced navigator and ship owner. He rebuilt and refitted the derelict sloop Spray in a seaside pasture at Fairhaven, Massachusetts, over 13 months between early 1893 and 1894.
Between 24 April 1895 and 27 June 1898, Slocum, aboard the Spray, crossed the Atlantic twice (to Gibraltar and back to South America), negotiated the Strait of Magellan, and crossed the Pacific. He also visited Australia and South Africa before crossing the Atlantic (for the third time) to return to Massachusetts after a journey of 46,000 miles.

I started the building using just the picture and other infos looking at his book written during the ride.
I don't know which scale it is .... my be 1/20 or 25.

Piero

View attachment 275724View attachment 275725View attachment 275726View attachment 275727
Very nice start. I posted some photos of my scratch build Spray earlier (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...t-sailed-single-handed-around-the-world.4885/) which my be of interest. There are a number of different books about Slocum, most of which contain photos of Spray. The are available used for a few dollars each and having a wide selction of pictures availabe helped me fill in the details of Spray's appearance.

Back