Tips for Sanding Curves

Interesting the detail of the spindle size that you very well explained at the posted thread. I believe that tilting the table also helps when sanding frames like yours from La Salamandra. Am I correct ?

Cheers
Daniel
The tilting table is a nice to have, but I am not using it very often.
The reason is, that the angles of fairing the frames is not permanent the same, but changing - so it is easier to hold the frame in hand and changing the angle permanently according the needs of a frame........
What I forgot: Very important for the frames sanding is also, that the spindle is not short and long enough for the frames - this makes the life much easier, so you can move the frame and you can sand the frame in one move without turning it in the hand.....

The tilting table is a nice to have, but I am not using it very often.
The reason is, that the angles of fairing the frames is not permanent the same, but changing - so it is easier to hold the frame in hand and changing the angle permanently according the needs of a frame........
What I forgot: Very important for the frames sanding is also, that the spindle is not short and long enough for the frames - this makes the life much easier, so you can move the frame and you can sand the frame in one move without turning it in the hand.....

Hi Uwek

Your JET spindle sander have a sanding drum of 1/4" (~ 6mm diameter). I can not find another spindle sander with those drums.

The below WEN , is very similar to yours. Also have a tilting table BUT the smallest drum is 1/2 " (12.7 mm)..... and is half the price of the JET.

Question :

Based on your experience using the Jet for the hobby......Do you think it is worth to pay extra $$$ (double the price) for the 6 mm drum for our hobby use ?

WEN 3.5 Amp Oscillating Spindle Sander with Extra Large Beveling Table Top

Thank you !!!
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi Uwek

Your JET spindle sander have a sanding drum of 1/4" (~ 6mm diameter). I can not find another spindle sander with those drums.

The below WEN , is very similar to yours. Also have a tilting table BUT the smallest drum is 1/2 " (12.7 mm)..... and is half the price of the JET.

Question :

Based on your experience using the Jet for the hobby......Do you think it is worth to pay extra $$$ (double the price) for the 6 mm drum for our hobby use ?

WEN 3.5 Amp Oscillating Spindle Sander with Extra Large Beveling Table Top

Thank you !!!
Daniel
Hallo Daniel,
the very small drum is a nice to have, but it is definitely not essential.
More important for me was the fact, that the Jet is much more silent, than the other cheaper ones.....
If you are standing at the machine for one hour sanding the frames, there is a big difference if you can still talk or listen to the radio, or a Jumbo-Jet is testing his turbines ;)
I do not know the WEN, so I can not say anything about the noise pollution of this tool .......

Take a look at this page, where you can find 10 spindle sanders described.
With every sander you can find a video where you can listen a little bit the sound also - I think a good overview

Hallo Daniel,
the very small drum is a nice to have, but it is definitely not essential.
More important for me was the fact, that the Jet is much more silent, than the other cheaper ones.....
If you are standing at the machine for one hour sanding the frames, there is a big difference if you can still talk or listen to the radio, or a Jumbo-Jet is testing his turbines ;)
I do not know the WEN, so I can not say anything about the noise pollution of this tool .......

Take a look at this page, where you can find 10 spindle sanders described.
With every sander you can find a video where you can listen a little bit the sound also - I think a good overview

Thank you Uwek. This particular review didn't pop up on my searches.

Technically, the Jet and the Wen model I posted the link are very similar. Depending on the reviews one or the other is first or second. Bottom line, they are similar. In those reviews the Jet is rated ALWAYS as the most silent one. The Wen model I posted follow the Jet (about noise) and then come the others (noisier).

My small cannister vacuum does an incredible amount of noise, higher than the worst sander on the videos :) . Nevertheless it will be 2 very noisy equipment at the same time. I will need to used me Sony headphones with noise canceling :)

Being said all this, I am totally convinced that the best option is the Jet model you have. The price is ~ $490 and this week is in offer till Monday -Thanksgiving week - at around $420. But the Wen I posted is at ~ $190. Such differences in price makes the decision not easy..... mostly when my vacuum is the noisier bad guy. Really is incredible the noise of that little vacuum. Probably I need to trash it ... Ja Ja Ja.

I will see if I found a video of the Wen working. I saw one yesterday. I will look for it again. Now that I heard the Jet I have a comparison point.

I will come back with my decision.

To be continued.......

Daniel

Hi Uwek

After a lot of thoughts I decided to not buy the Jet or Wen desktop spindle sanders.

I placed in my equation decision :

Price
Size
Noise
Type of job to be used by myself

At the end the "type of job I am and will be doing for a few years to come" (I have MANY kits models waiting) tilted the balance to buy something smaller than the desktop spindle sanders. I found the EJWOX handheld portable spindle sander to be the one selected.

For my daily small projects I will continue using my dremel sanding drum on my dremel routing table (see picture). For medium size jobs I will use the EJWOX. When the needs come for a bigger benchtop spindle sander, I will buy the Jet model.

This portable spindle sander has "Variable Speed" that I wasn't able to find in any other model I checked (portable or benchtop). For small projects I thought that feature will be great. For that feature I selected the EJWOX handheld portable sander instead of the WEN handheld portable sander.

The reviews are excellent for both portable sanders (for EJWOX see Amazon link below).

The variable speed control was the main difference and and time will tell me if the EJWOX is of the same quality as the WEN.

The EJWOX will be landing at my house on Monday. I will test it and I hope I was correct on my decision or I need to return it to Amazon and change it for the WEN portable sander. I also ordered a set of 3 different grid sand papers (link posted).

20201127_113736.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi all

I will update this thread.

The EJWOX did a GREAT job !!!!

But I returned it for 2 reasons:

A) didn't have a ring around the opening of the drum so I was no able to sand small pieces.
B) The surface to work that supports your piece is too small.

If you place a piece of wood over it with a hole for the spindle, then problem A and B will be solved " . But there will be the problem of "how to keep the wood in place". The sander works perfectly and the variable speed was a plus !!

I returned it to Amazon and got the WEN that i posted the link before.

But the WEN also has an issue that bothers me.

The plastic ring around the drum is NOT FLAT to the working surface. So my small pieces of wood are stopped (stuck) when I move them around flat to the surface. The plastic orange disc is 1 mm below the metal surface of the table.

See pictures so you will understand.

20201219_195731.jpg20201219_195814.jpg20201219_195705.jpg20201219_195511.jpg

Today i went to WOODCRAFT to buy the JET spindle sander and started the Amazon return process.

To my surprise the JET has the same issue. Woodcraft has a teaching room and they have a JET in use. We tried it and the same issue, the wood was stuck in the border, like the pictures of the WEN.

I came back and decided to keep the WEN. Added a piece of veneer that solved the ring issue and tested a speed controller i ordered during the week.

All works PERFECT.

I uploaded a YouTube video for you all to see how the speed controller works and the level of noise at full and reduced speed.

I am very happy now with the results.

20201220_170019.jpg
Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi all

I will update this thread.

The EJWOX did a GREAT job !!!!

But I returned it for 2 reasons:

A) didn't have a ring around the opening of the drum so I was no able to sand small pieces.
B) The surface to work that supports your piece is too small.

If you place a piece of wood over it with a hole for the spindle, then problem A and B will be solved " . But there will be the problem of "how to keep the wood in place". The sander works perfectly and the variable speed was a plus !!

I returned it to Amazon and got the WEN that i posted the link before.

But the WEN also has an issue that bothers me.

The plastic ring around the drum is NOT FLAT to the working surface. So my small pieces of wood are stopped (stuck) when I move them around flat to the surface. The plastic orange disc is 1 mm below the metal surface of the table.

See pictures so you will understand.

View attachment 200282View attachment 200283View attachment 200284View attachment 200285

Today i went to WOODCRAFT to buy the JET spindle sander and started the Amazon return process.

To my surprise the JET has the same issue. Woodcraft has a teaching room and they have a JET in use. We tried it and the same issue, the wood was stuck in the border, like the pictures of the WEN.

I came back and decided to keep the WEN. Added a piece of veneer that solved the ring issue and tested a speed controller i ordered during the week.

All works PERFECT.

I uploaded a YouTube video for you all to see how the speed controller works and the level of noise at full and reduced speed.

I am very happy now with the results.

View attachment 200286
Cheers
Daniel
Posted elsewhere, I simply cut a ring in a (pizza) card to level height. I have the Wen. Its very useful, noisy but most of dust falls beneath the rings. Boxes of various replacement rolls are available, but the sanding rolls are surprisingly long lasting if cleaned. I am still using the originals

Back