Too many new kits and projects - Now my head is spinning...

I just needed to post something to vent a little frustration. I got involved in a couple more projects and now everything is turning my brain to mush.

... Or maybe, my brain is turning to mush on its won (with age?) so my projects have gotten a little overwhelming now. Probably the latter is more the case, but it's hard to tell when you have mush for brains.

On the plus side, I'm close to finishing the 18th Century English Longboat, I did a kit review of the 1856 Japanese screw steamer Kanrin Maru by Woody Joe and it's coming out in next month's Ships in Scale, I've finally picked up a kit that I've been really intrigued about: Woody Joe's Edo period Japanese boat Higaki-Kaisen, and I've been tasked with building HMS Victory from the 1:78 scale Mantua kit, though that last one is a very long term project.

But now, I'm just kind of sitting here not sure of what to do. So, I thought I'd just type up this meaningless post...

While I'm at it, I might as well throw in a couple random emoticons too...

:geek: :evil: :angry-cussingargument:

I do believe those last guys are arguing in Japanese...

:animals-cat:

Wow, so many emoticons available. I never knew... :character-cartman: sweet!

Clare

Re: Too many new kits and projects - Now my head is spinning

<t>Great advice Brian!<br/>
<br/>
I'll give your ideas a shot. I think mostly I lost some momentum and kind of need it to deal with all the projects and obstacles – if you have enough momentum, you just roll right over those obstacles!<br/>
<br/>
This is just the hard part, choosing direction and getting the big boulder of ship modeling rolling again. Right now, I kind of push it one way and it just starts to budge, but not enough speed to roll over any obstacles. Then, I think I'll push it over that way instead. After a while, the muscles get tired out and you haven't gone anywhere and you don't know which way you'd really want to go, even if you did get it rolling.<br/>
<br/>
Well, it's just one of those things. I know what I need to finish up, so I'll work up some steam after the trick-or-treaters here have made their visits.<br/>
<br/>
Thanks for the help,<br/>
Clare</t>

<r>Well, if I may add my <E>:twocents-twocents:</E> worth. I have to hand it to anyone that can manage two or more ships at one time. <br/>
<br/>
Last weekend, I hung my Yard Arm using the Parrels to support it, but need to rig those lines down to the pin racks.<br/>
<br/>
I don't know about you all, but it seems that when I sit down with the Triny, I really have to empty my mind out of a lot of potential distractions. There is nothing like having a rigging line being manipulated through a lot of other lines, using all hands, fingers, etc and with tweezers, threaders, and then the phone rings. (but, it usually rings about 5 times before the answering machine picks up. Then I have to sit there and listen to a telemarker Robobcall trying to sell me timeshare)<br/>
Kinda gets on the nerves if you know what I mean. I think I might start a thread on that !<br/>
<br/>
Oh BTW - a needle threader is a great asset when running the rigging line through the Pin Rail holes.</r>

<r>Hi Donnie,<br/>
<br/>
I think you just need to turn that ringer off and, like Brian suggests, just play some good music in the background. <br/>
<br/>
Emptying your head can be easy, just start working on some ratlines. I actually enjoy that stage a lot because I don't have to try to figure anything out. My mind can't spin or ramble – I just turn it off and start tying knots. Very relaxing. All the other steps require planning, decision making, all that figuring out stuff. Ratlines are just "around, under, over, through, tug, around, under, over, through, tug, around, under, over, through, tug..." The San Felipe did kind of burn out a few circuits upstairs though and a big of a recharge between each section of shrouds.<br/>
<br/>
I'm a bit of a ways from that stage on my projects right now.<br/>
<br/>
The other thing that's kind of nice and relaxing is when I shape the hull of a solid hull or lift-built model. Whittling away at wood does wonders.<br/>
<br/>
But, I don't have any solid hulls I'm starting just now either.<br/>
<br/>
So, I just have to do my best at controlling the head spinning. I think it's better this week, so maybe all will be okay <E>:handgestures-thumbsup:</E> <br/>
<br/>
Clare</r>

<t>Longridge's book on the Victory will help build this model. Also, there is an Anatomy of Ship book on the Victory. Also, the Ship In Scale had a set of articles modifying the Mantua model. I have all of these if you would like to borrow them.</t>

<r>Hi Gary, you're like the West Coat Ship Modeling Library!<br/>
<br/>
Actually, I'm pretty well prepared for this one – I have the titles you mentioned. <br/>
<br/>
Those Ships in Scale articles I assume are the ones by Gene McClure? He assembled his work into a loose leaf format book. It's a very rare find, but I just managed to obtain one a couple months ago. It's based on the 1:98 scale version of the ship using Corel's kit, I believe. I actually have that kit and was what I was originally working on, but then this project came along so that went on hold (yes, another one on hold). <br/>
<br/>
I was also contemplating Bob Hunt's practicum on building the Victory's hull using kit bash techniques. It specifically models this same kit, but I think I've got a handle on what I'm going to do with regards to the hull.<br/>
<br/>
The one thing that's kind of funny about the Mantua Panart kit is that maybe the designers of the kit are really knowledgeable and all. But, the model on the cover has ALL the blocks rigged backwards! That is, they don't cross the pulley. It does make you wonder how accurate the kit can possibly be.<br/>

<ATTACHMENT filename="DSC01727.jpg" index="1"><s>[attachment=1]</s>DSC01727.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

So, to make the head spinning matters worse, I just received Woody Joe's Higaki-kaisen kit yesterday. I'm going write up an out of the box review, but the kit is so cool, an interesting subject matter, and I don't think it would take that long to build. So, I REALLY want to build it... Hey, the Victory project won't start for another month or so and I'm planning on the next couple years on that at least. <br/>

<ATTACHMENT filename="DSC01678.jpg" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>DSC01678.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

Gotta finish the longboat first at least! It's so close to being done...<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
I must seem like a real flake with all this project juggling <E>:?</E> <br/>
<br/>
Clare</r>

<r>Yes, it was Gene's article I was referencing. I have a lot of stuff in my library that is out of print so I think I have more than the other library. <E>:text-lol:</E> Amati is going to be putting out the 1:64 version soon that was just delivered by Chris Watton. Hope that does not mean you will have a third one Going at the same time. <E>:text-lol:</E></r>

<t>Hi Gary,<br/>
<br/>
No worries about the Amati kit. I tried to push for the Caldercraft kit which is a 1:72, but it was just a tad too big, 1:64 is going the wrong way for this project. As it is, the Mantua Panart kit at 1:78 is just about as large as we can go, so that was the choice. Honestly, I could have pushed for the smaller 1:98 version, which I already have started and used Gene McClure's book, but I thought it would be kind of small after delivering the San Felipe. Anyway, bigger is easier in many respects.<br/>
<br/>
Well, now I have no time to write posts – I have the longboat to finish!<br/>
<br/>
Clare</t>

Back