Tools for rigging

As I inch closer to my first rigging, what are the basic tools I need plus some tools that just make it easier.

you can also use Binder clips that you get at an office supply store to put weight on lines to keep them straight. There are also little "spring hooks" you can get that are good for both pulling and an end for pushing.
1708975403271.png
Then there is also a capturing spring hook.
1708975460880.png
These are spring loaded. The hook comes out of the end when you press on the blue cap and is retracted by the spring as you release the pressure on the cap.

Jeff\

Cheap medical hemostats and tweezers are helpful to grab and hold lines in work. Magnifier to see holes in blocks as you thread them.

Thin CA to dip end of line into so you can make it stiff then cut end to make sharp needle to push into holes.

Several hobby venders offer sets of rigging tools, that may be useful.

I'm still a relative newcomer to this hobby. So far I've only done the rigging on two models and I'm about to start on my third rigging adventure.

The tools that I used are in the photo below.

A Clipper from my Fly Fishing days
Two DIY tools made from very large sewing needles and a small dowel
Super small scissors for close work
A knot tying tool purchased from Micro-Mark

IMG_4236.jpeg

Jan

Thanks again everyone. I think I’ll be able to scrounge thru my existing tools and improvise a couple, leaving me only needing to pick up a few. Thanks!

Don't throw away old paint brushes. Pull the ferrules off, cut them clean, and you have handles for making your own improvised tools. For instance, drill a small hole in the end, glue in a piece of wire, and bend it around to your hearts content for a (cheap) rigging hook...

you can also use Binder clips that you get at an office supply store to put weight on lines to keep them straight. There are also little "spring hooks" you can get that are good for both pulling and an end for pushing.
View attachment 430955
Then there is also a capturing spring hook.
View attachment 430956
These are spring loaded. The hook comes out of the end when you press on the blue cap and is retracted by the spring as you release the pressure on the cap.

Jeff\
Where can i get such spring loaded mini hook.I couldn't find any adress in internet.I have the standard ones without spring which are i use rarely.Normally use long tweezers.The tool you loaded in your thread seems to me being practical .Thanks in advancePirate Flag

Where can i get such spring loaded mini hook.I couldn't find any adress in internet.I have the standard ones without spring which are i use rarely.Normally use long tweezers.The tool you loaded in your thread seems to me being practical .Thanks in advancePirate Flag
I found some on the Amazon web site at:
Spring hook
You can possibly find some more locally sourced by doing a search on the internet for "Capturing spring hook".

Here is link to small clips that Model Expo sells.

Good for rigging and holding small items while glue dries.

and sail makers needle set

Thank you for your guidance.l do have similar sets.I actually need a tool which holds the end of the thread fix till this end is brought to its final position.while using a tweezer you have yo apply force to hold the thread all the time while processing.I sometimes use surgical clamp pliers but they are to thick for the riggings leading.Rigging tools, hooks or with specially formed ends etc. i have in my toolbox but they are not that practical.Unfortunately i couldn’t find a seller in internet for these carving spring hooks in the old continent,the direct delivery cost from USA is much more than the product itself.

Back