Tools for rigging

that is great I have been using a cone-shaped piece of metal ( to cover all coil sizes) thinking I'm clever and putting up with the rope sliding around, Fork next time for sure!

Here's a potential better option which might work well for some of the other folks on here that are outside the US. Going to Amazon for your given country, so a search using the string "stainless steel dental tools", and you'll find a wide variety of inexpensive items that might work for you. Here's a link to one package of six (mostly double ended) tools in a nice case for under $11 CAD. Stainless Steel Dental Tools

Or, you could order the ones you were referring to from the US Amazon site, and pay the $12 CAD shipping fee. You still come out under half the list for it on the Amazon.ca site. But yeah, its frustrating, and there seems to be little logic behind the huge price differential for same items sold on the Canadian site. Even including exchange rates, the Amazon.ca equivalents can be orders of magnitude more expensive. So I consider using Amazon.com on a case by case basic, taking into account shipping costs and perhaps having to pay import duties when it arrives.

Another option to consider, if you have a bunch of stuff you want to order at reduced cost to US customer addresses, have them shipped to your name via a redirection service (UPS offers this), and then just pay for the UPS or USPS shipping fee plus the $5 handling fee. I do this with a UPS store in Great Falls, MT frequently. I get multiple items shipped to their store location under my name, and once they all arrive, they contact me with the cost options to ship to me via UPS or USPS. I make my choice, and then they package it and get it on its way to me. If I need an excuse for a nice drive in the summer, I drive down to pick them up personally. That's obviously not the economical way to do it. lol

So, nattering aside, I'll try to get back on track... depending upon where you're located in Canada, touch base with a UPS store in a US city closest to you, and ask them about redirection services. It's a good option to have when you need it.
Thanks. I'll look into it. I've had several bad experiences with UPS where they have charged me high brokerage fees for parcels coming in from the UK or the US, and not just model parts, all of which were free trade (non duty) items. I ask suppliers to use any other shipper. But your experience has obviously been quite different. I'm going to be in Georgia next month. I might just get it shipped to the address of my airbnb while there.

I often order material from Cornwall Model Boats in the UK and I buy tons of books from the UK because their shipping is a fraction of what it costs between US and Canada (both ways).
Yep and now Amazon has closed 'The Book Depository' and way up go the book prices as do the postage rates. "Big Blah to Them" Thumbsdown )~

Back