True arrangement vs Simplified/Contemporary frame arrangement, asking for thoughts.

I'm looking to start my POF builds using the "true arrangement" of frames versus arrangement seen in most monographs (ANCRE, Seawatch books).

1672783091350.png1672783132034.png1672783225338.png1672783253529.png

Plans for true arrangement of frames intended for: Hermione(ANCRE), Sussex(Seawatch), Boullongne(ANCRE)
Any thoughts on how to achieve the true arrangement? Theories that should be considered? French vs English frame designs?

Cheers!

Resources:
P. Goodwin, The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War (1986)
R. Enderson, The Master Shipwright's Secrets (2020)

J. Franklin, Navy Board Ship Models 1650-1750 (1989)

Just some words

"true arrangement" is usually related to english ships and not french

Your are already show and also mentioned the book from Goodwin.
Here he is showing the changes of the dispositions of frames with room and space over the different time periods.
But Goodwin is only showing english ship constructions, which had double and single / filling frames.

The french shipwrights made usually only double frames and did not use any filling frames - so usually only double frames of a similar thickness with a regular distance
You mentioned the french Hermione and Boullogne - when you have the ancre plansets, you see there their "true arrangement" of the ship framing

A proove here f.e. a contemporary drawing of the framing of the San Pareil a 80gunner captured in 1794

j2501.jpg

or much earlier an unkown 60 gunner

j8279.jpg

For POF modeling french framing is much easier to execute - double frames

For POF modeling of english in "true arrangement" - you have to know which kind of ship in which period - based on this the priciples are shown in Goodwin

Take a look at my building log of my Granado section, which was build with "true arrangement" of the framing

I'm looking to start my POF builds using the "true arrangement" of frames versus arrangement seen in most monographs (ANCRE, Seawatch books).

Plans for true arrangement of frames intended for: Hermione(ANCRE), Sussex(Seawatch), Boullongne(ANCRE)
Any thoughts on how to achieve the true arrangement? Theories that should be considered? French vs English frame designs?

Cheers!

Resources:
P. Goodwin, The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War (1986)
R. Enderson, The Master Shipwright's Secrets (2020)

J. Franklin, Navy Board Ship Models 1650-1750 (1989)
Hallo @Jbesario
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

How is your research going?

Back