Trumpter Mayflower in 1/60th.

This build in going to be about 10-15% modification on the current kit, the while the model is correct in the general shape, the stern decorations are just (goofy), the bow/jib area has to be modified. while you can only do so much, I want to at least try to correct some of the mistakes. Bill97 on another forum built one just beautifully, which I'm using as my guide. The biggest handicap is the lack of any historical artist renditions (late 1760's paint not withstanding), or decent write up. The rigging instructions and other tidbits are lacking as well. I'll try to make post with each sub-assembly including this post is the model prep. When doing wooden models (in plastic), I like to blacken the base part, then topcoat with a light shade of tan, then lightly rub off the tan to bring out the grain detail. The factory punch marks were all over, so I used a hole puncher to make some round plastic fillers so I would have so much filler to sand.

1.jpg

Base Coat parts.jpg

bow deck.jpg

Bulkheads Post wash.jpg

Bulkheads Prewash.jpg

Divot fill 1.jpg

Divot fill 2.jpg

Divot Fill 3.jpg

Divot sanded 1.jpg

Divot Sanded 2.jpg

Fore deck final wash.jpg

main Deck final wash.jpg

main deck.jpg

poop deck.jpg

Punch divots fill 1.jpg

ships boat.jpg

stocks.jpg

The rework of the stern is a post or two by itself. Where Trumpeter got the idea of the dolphin is just strange, they are wildly wrong had to be removed. using a Dremel drum sander, I lightly sanded off the dolphins, windows, clamshell and name (no evidence of a name of the stern) most ships did not have name on the stern generally until 1720's or later. After sanding the section down, I put plastruct sheet as backing and filled the openings with putty and let dry for 72 hrs. I sanded it some more then I re-scribed the planks, then using a fine-tooth saw, I drug and scratch some grain effect back in the section. While I can't duplicate the knees next to the windows, the curve is too shallow (and incorrect as well), I could at least frame in the windows similar to the current vessel. The white Hawthorn Flower is correct, Although the current ship has a slightly different design.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Although the current ship has a flush mounted window frame's, there was no way I could do that as it would warp the stern too much, so I had to build the frames on the surface. The last pictures is a white Hawthorn bloom, which the ship did have. before I mount the stern up, I'll trim and detail the flower.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

a.jpg

SDF1.jpg

SDF2.jpg

SDF3.jpg

whf.jpg

The kit suppled deck was lost to time, as the model was a Hurricane Katrina Survivor, so I had to make one, which is better and more sturdy in my opinion anyway.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

OH Lordy, I never knew about that, just the short jib boom...... can you share any knowledge? If I can fix it reasonably, I'll try.

This build in going to be about 10-15% modification on the current kit, the while the model is correct in the general shape, the stern decorations are just (goofy), the bow/jib area has to be modified. while you can only do so much, I want to at least try to correct some of the mistakes. Bill97 on another forum built one just beautifully, which I'm using as my guide. The biggest handicap is the lack of any historical artist renditions (late 1760's paint not withstanding), or decent write up. The rigging instructions and other tidbits are lacking as well. I'll try to make post with each sub-assembly including this post is the model prep. When doing wooden models (in plastic), I like to blacken the base part, then topcoat with a light shade of tan, then lightly rub off the tan to bring out the grain detail. The factory punch marks were all over, so I used a hole puncher to make some round plastic fillers so I would have so much filler to sand.
Hallo @Big Jake
we wish you all the bEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

OH Lordy, I never knew about that, just the short jib boom...... can you share any knowledge? If I can fix it reasonably, I'll try.
Jake,

I came across Model Expo's plans online for their Mayflower that shows clearly their version with higher masts. The replica ship in Plymouth, MA also has demonstrably higher masts than those in the Trumpeter kit. I've seen several completed Trumpeter Mayflower models completed with stumpy masts, I'll keep looking.

Bill

Back