Tying a Block to the Bowsprit / Yard

Hello Forum Members,

I'm trying to figure out how to tie a block to the bowsprit (or a yardarm). For example, here is an image from @mati.n and his amazing build:

1642124010400.png

The large triple block will receive the stay. But where are the ends of the rope securing it to the bowsprit hidden? It's not just a large circle (created by a splice) that is slid over the end because stuff is in the way. I'm new to rigging and can't figure out how to make this look right - and there are lots of places I will need to do this sort of thing.

HELP!

Yes. it was sliced into a continuous loop, then served over, then seized to the block and yard. You have to estimate the length of the closed loop. The first time may take several tries, but with experience, you get it pretty close to the mark every time. If you unravel the ends a bit, intertwine them together, add a bit of glue to hold them, then hide the false splice with the seizing, it looks good. This operation may have to be done around the yard or bowsprit, which makes it more difficult. Use needle nose pliers or tweezers if the work are is tight. As usual, steady hands are necessary, so ground your elbow or wrists on something solid if you can. A shortcut, using and overlapping method, would be this:

1642127355570.png

It's a real pain doing this with sewing thread and blocks smaller than 3mm.
1642127663795.png

Last edited:
Yes. it was sliced into a continuous loop, then served over, then seized to the block and yard. You have to estimate the length of the closed loop. The first time may take several tries, but with experience, you get it pretty close to the mark every time. If you unravel the ends a bit, intertwine them together, add a bit of glue to hold them, then hide the false splice with the seizing, it looks good. This operation may have to be done around the yard or bowsprit, which makes it more difficult. Use needle nose pliers or tweezers if the work are is tight. As usual, steady hands are necessary, so ground your elbow or wrists on something solid if you can. A shortcut, using and overlapping method, would be this:

View attachment 282450

It's a real pain doing this with sewing thread and blocks smaller than 3mm.
View attachment 282451
Excellent guidance
I'll definitely follow your recommendations

Ciao Membri del Forum,

Sto cercando di capire come legare un bozzello al bompresso (oa un pennone). Ad esempio, ecco un'immagine di @mati.n e la sua straordinaria build:

[ALLEGARE=completo]282448[/ALLEGARE]

Il grande blocco triplo riceverà il soggiorno. Ma dove sono nascoste le estremità della fune che la fissano al bompresso? Non è solo un grande cerchio (creato da una giunzione) che viene fatto scorrere all'estremità perché le cose sono d'intralcio. Sono nuovo nel rigging e non riesco a capire come rendere questo look giusto - e ci sono molti posti in cui dovrò fare questo genere di cose.

AIUTO!
Buon pomeriggio , spero con queste immagine di essere di aiuto

Attachments

• 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 77
  • plate31 - Sconosciuto.jpg
    plate31 - Sconosciuto.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 84
  • plate21 - Sconosciuto.jpg
    plate21 - Sconosciuto.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 316.1.gif
    316.1.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 76
  • plate33 - Sconosciuto.jpg
    plate33 - Sconosciuto.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 76
By zooming into @mati.n ‘s picture, it appears the line he has used (even for the large block), is seized, in addition to the seizing hiding the join. Is that what others see?

I would think this would make the binding of the block very much more difficult. Makes you appreciate his work even more!!

PeterG

Last edited:
By zooming into @mati.n ‘s picture, it appears the line he has used (even for the large block), is seized, in addition to the seizing hiding the join. Is that what others see?

I would think this would make the binding of the block very much more difficult. Makes you appreciate his work even more!!

PeterG
I agree Peter; the rope is definitely served. Matt operates on another level!

Hello all.
Allow me to add my tip, which it’s an example of what you can do following “my way of seizing”…
What I like most, is that Ι can attach almost anything anywhere, even on already installed rigging.
Thx
View attachment 283443
Awesome! I'm going to sacrifice some paint brushes and make tools like yours RIGHT NOW. Thumbsup

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to be so late with reply. I'm currently at sea and just simply missed that I was call out by you :p:D
Triple block has stropping served as you see on the photo. This part of the rigging took always quite a lot of brutal force.

My strop itself is made as loop out of piece of served rope. Two ends were simply glued using CA glue.
Then strop received seizing being already on bowsprit. It was a bit challenging because I had to measure how long piece of rope has to be to match diameter of bowsprit and have enough rope to fit block and seizing.

Connecting point of to ends is hidden under seizing ;)

I see that you didn't served you ropes for strops :) If it's not too late I will highly recommend to re-think this decision and perhaps take step back and replace them with served ropes.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks Matt,

I'm surprised that just glueing the ends together is strong enough. Poly ropes just cut flush and glued end to end right?

Next, are you saying that all strops should be served? Or just the larger blocks? There are a lot of blocks on my three masted ship!!!

I'll add that Fred Hocker at the Vasa Museum suspects there was little or no serving on the Vasa - at least on the shrouds (though I have never heard him comment on blocks or deadeyes). Nevertheless I am serving the portion of the shroud that goes around the mast.

It's hard to figure out the right path forward!

Buon pomeriggio , spero con queste immagine di essere di aiuto

Hello, I need the original source for these images please (e.g. plate31 - Sconosciuto.jpg).

Salve, ho bisogno della fonte originale di queste immagini per favore (es. plate31 - Sconosciuto.jpg).

Dirk

Back