Ulises Steam Tugboat, by Occre Scale 1:30

Tks Pathfinder

Ok here we go with a big update:
The main super structures are assembled next. They are a loose fit and required a lot of filler to fill joints. They did fit nicely over the hull entries.
IMG_3472.jpg
filled sanded & painted
IMG_3474.jpgIMG_3475.jpg
The rear supports were added once the rear superstucture was completed and it was tested for ease of remove ability prior yo gluing supports in place

Next the cabin was lined, and rear southwester hooks & shelving added. The clock was not included in the kit, but was made from the porthole cutouts left over from above and a 10mm print of a clock face. I chose the appropriate Beer-o-clock time.

IMG_3478.jpg
The side walls & door way were then added as was the seating & table.
IMG_3480.jpg
The floor grating & engine controls were then also added as weas a coat of varnish to finish off the interior
IMG_3483.jpg
The control panel was then assembled, painted & decals added.
IMG_3484.jpg
Next the exterior cladding and window sills were added along with entry stepsIMG_3487.jpg
Finally the ropf was clad and painted white internally
IMG_3492.jpgIMG_3493.jpg
Front bollards were also added to the sides and bow
IMG_3491.jpg

Next the funnel was assembled and painted ready for fittingIMG_3494.jpgIMG_3495.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while.
She is almost complete minus the front mast assembly & final fit out of electric's & motor
Balllast has yet to be tested & added also.
She will be parked for a while as I have decided to start the Aedes Ars Country Village Diorama as a relief distration and a new skill builder.

Anyway here we go
Funnel placed

IMG_3496.jpg
Kit recommended using provided string for funnel ties , but I had some old guitar string, which looked better than rope
IMG_3499.jpg
rear breather funnels added
IMG_3502.jpg
Rear Hook ? added
IMG_3504.jpg
Range finder being glued up ( hardest part of build, to get wire symmetrical & round) Tamiya paint bottle exact size!
IMG_3500.jpg
rear engine cover completed
IMG_3506.jpg
Overall view
IMG_3508.jpg
Commencing ships boats. These were a royal PIA to build. Very Very fragile and kit suggested single layer with 1 x 3 sapelli & paint.
I did a second layer with leftover decking planks.No painting req, nice wood fininsh
IMG_3507.jpgIMG_3509.jpgIMG_3512.jpg
Boats completed & added to Tug
IMG_3529.jpg
Current state
IMG_3528.jpg
I will return to her soon...

Thks John, Thks Path..
Lots of detail yet to add, but I got a bit peeved with the kit as there was a lot of wood sizes missing or badly chosen that I had to replace with other kit leftovers.
I know it not an expensive kit, but...

First time this has happend with an Occre Kit. All the other kits i have got from them including non ship kits have been great.

really nice looking boat. I had bits missing too and for me the the wee dinghies were the worst part of the build

Hi Paul,
Your tug is looking great and should look great on the water.
I hope I am not sticking my nose in where it is not wanted, but here goes.
If you are interested in a more prototypical prop have a look at https://www.prop-shop.co.uk/ they make beautiful cast bronze props I have bought 2 of their props in the past and can testify to their quality.
Also looks like the motor that was supplied in the Kyosho set is a high performance 540 size motor, in my opinion more suitable for high speed applications, luckily the 540 can size is a popular size and I available in low revving higher torque motors more suitable for tug boats.
Cheers,
Stephen.

G'Day Paul have just read the whole build up to now, loved it.
I have been tempted to get this myself but would only build it as a static model do you think that would still suit?
Shame OcCre are not selling to Australia at present haven't been for sometime they say that it is too difficult and also much too expensive so they would rather keep faith with their customers.
looking forward to your completion of the build.

Allan

Great to follow your progress I have been musing about building a tug for a while now so am interested to learn all I can, thanks for sharing.

G'Day Paul have just read the whole build up to now, loved it.
I have been tempted to get this myself but would only build it as a static model do you think that would still suit?
Shame OcCre are not selling to Australia at present haven't been for sometime they say that it is too difficult and also much too expensive so they would rather keep faith with their customers.
looking forward to your completion of the build.

Allan
It is is suitable as static, there is nothing in the build that prevents this. The kit has a lot of room to enhancement, light etc. The only thing that makes it RC is the fact hat you can remove the upper cabins for internal access. I guess occre shutdown their shop for covid( it was open and closed some months ago. Order from Cornwall model boats UK. Its still cheaper than getting here in AU. 166 pound+ 66pound shipping = $411 AU. better than the $650 a certain modelshop in AU wants.

aye I get most of my stuff from Cornwall model boats, but then I am in the UK ...
As an aside, It's amazing how many kits are for sale on ebay at a price dearer than buying new - Cornwall model boats is also my price comparison site.

It is is suitable as static, there is nothing in the build that prevents this. The kit has a lot of room to enhancement, light etc. The only thing that makes it RC is the fact hat you can remove the upper cabins for internal access. I guess occre shutdown their shop for covid( it was open and closed some months ago. Order from Cornwall model boats UK. Its still cheaper than getting here in AU. 166 pound+ 66pound shipping = $411 AU. better than the $650 a certain modelshop in AU wants.
Thanks for that.
Yes I saw it at Cornwall model boats even with freight it comes to approximately what you paid delivered from OcCre.
As for that certain Model shop I agree you would never but a kit there as the prices are ridiculous.
OcCre are still trading just not with Australia, having bought a couple of kits from them I have been exchanging emails with them re the situation. I was wondering why they were putting themselves at a disadvantage when all other manufactures continue to ship to Aus but that is their decision,

I am about half finished with the Ulises Tug. Working on some top-side details and painting the hull. Your build forum has been very helpful. Thinking ahead I am wondering why would you mount the lifeboats right-side up, where they would fill with water when it rains or from spray? I know that's what is shown in the instructions (probably to show the interior details of the lifeboats), but I think I will mount mine upside down.

Hi Guys,
With apologies, I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little bit here. I am building OcCra's Ulises tug boat and I am really struggling on building the stern section around the prop shaft. The video I have watched doesn't follow OcCra's instructions so is no real help. To take the shaft, (alignment is going to be fun!) the stiffeners have to surround it but, if you do, the stiffeners bear little relationship to the frames. Any advice or links to videos covering shaping the stiffeners would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Rowan.

Last edited:
Back