USCG Harriet Lane for the United States Navy 1859 - Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) Scale 1:96

I greatly appreciate your replies to BMT. Great advice. Helpful to me as well. I want to see everyone in this boat happy and confident in the cruise.Ship-1

I'm a few steps behind you on this build and I think you can help me solve some problems I created. When it came to attaching the outside upper bulwarks there was a joint amidships that I managed to glue in with a significant dip like a flattened V with the arms immediately above the slot for the sponson attachment. I noticed this problem after planking. I increased the bulwark height at that point and sanded until it looked like I had a smooth run. Now, looking at the instructions for sponson attachment, I'm not sure whether the sponson tops should be even with or 1/32nd short of bulwark height. :rolleyes: Thoughts?
BMT, I studied your photos a bit more closely and in the one with the pen level on top the shadowing suggests that the sponson tops are 1/32 shy of the bulwark top. Excellent!! Your photo was really helpful!

Thanks for your observations …Peter had brought the deck to my attention …..I have glued some of the structures already, and I’m concerned taking them off might affect the deck. I’ve stopped, and I’m giving it some thought… I like the concept of planking it, but I may have to take a couple more items off. I’m traveling so I’ve got some time to think about it. No rush on this end….. BMT

Thanks for your observations …Peter had brought the deck to my attention …..I have glued some of the structures already, and I’m concerned taking them off might affect the deck. I’ve stopped, and I’m giving it some thought… I like the concept of planking it, but I may have to take a couple more items off. I’m traveling so I’ve got some time to think about it. No rush on this end….. BMT
Good morning, BMT! No problem! I have found it helpful to have a couple of shipmates along for the build.

I think you'll be much happier with the result if you plank the deck regardless of the damage removing structures will do to the existing deck (or the structures for that matter). One of the things I like about this kit is the amount of extra lumber left over after you remove parts from the sheets. Using the sheets as templates you could probably remake just about everything! That's the last of my 2 cents. Enjoy your travels! Happy holidays!

Chuck

Chuck, thank you... I agree 100%, as shipmates always make the voyage more successful. Peter has been helping me stay on course, and I appreciate you joining in.

I was thinking about painting (as Peter has suggested) because then I could probably go around the structures. I'm just leery about taking them off. I have used alcohol to help me remove the glue on the builds, and that's been successful. I have plenty of planking from other builds, and they probably could rebuild the structures.

I will give it lots of thought over the next couple of days. When I return next week, I will make some decisions.

As I've always said, this is a continual learning experience for me, and the knowledge from all of you has been highly beneficial and valuable.

BMT

You can probably work around most of it if you don't mind cutting and fitting miniscule planks. Probably no worse than doing microsurgery on pieces you have already installed. Either way time and patience are your best tools and I think the satisfaction you get from the results will be well worth the trouble. After all you are under no constraints. Put your own satisfaction with yourself and your model first. There's still plenty of time to tweak and do-over where you desire to get what you want.

I feel your pain! I suggest the following process. Coffee, Chet Baker, Bill Evans, or Joe Pass in the background, (smoke'em if you got'em) and proceed to remove all of the small metal objects and then the larger objects with great patience and great confidence that you can remake just about everything from the stock supplied in the kit using the sheets as templates and that the false deck only needs to be smooth not pretty.

Best of luck, shipmate! And post lots of pictures. ;)

Chet, Bill and Joe have gotten me over more than a few frustrations, along with John Williams (classical guitar) and music by J.S. Bach, S. L. Weiss (baroque lute, a friend and contemporary of J.S.); Charlie Byrd and lots of 60 s Bossa Nova. Yes, I date myself. My eldest son is the jazz aficionado, had his own radio show on WPFW Pacifica in D.C. I like to think I had an influence. :D Good vibrations to synch your brain with. You'll not only live longer but better.
Turnoff the politics. Thumbsdown
Think peaceful thoughts. Carry on.

Pete

I have had some unexpected issues with this model. It seems like every one else, including you, managed to frame and plank the hull to the exact design. I was put in mind of this as I continued to work on the fit of the sponson units to my hull. Why oh why were my sponsons not fitting properly - then it hit me. The sides where the sponsons meet the hull need to be very flat! I thought my hull was pretty flat, but about an hour of diligent and careful sanding finally made it flat enough! Well done avoiding that mess. I hope your deconstruction process is going well. And remember, "Never give up the ship!" ;)

Last edited:
The sun never sets on this world of adventure.

Structure removal became more tedious than the planking of the deck, which, in my opinion, would not be worth it. At the same time, I like the look of a planked deck and should have been thinking about it much earlier.

It reminds me of football officials considering officiating in the present to affect the future when we apply foul selection.

Anyway, as part of my learning experience, I will think ahead of the build section.

Have a Very Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!

I'm having similar issues building my Mamoli Flying Cloud hull. I've had an old Blujacket rough carved solid hull the same scale for several years. If I had started with that, I'd be done with the hull by now rather than bashing this Mamoli monstrosity into shape. I'm a carver. What can I say?

Anyway, Happy and Merry to you guys too!BottleExplosionShip-1

Pete

Dear shipmates, I hope the holidays treated you well, Santa brought you your heart's desires and the New Year is all you could desire!

Apologies for the long silence. BMT! How's your Harriet Lane coming along? I look forward to seeing your progress. Please!

Blessings. Peace. Gratitude.

Dear BMT, this may sound like a strange question, but how high are your bulwarks? The plans show, 9/16". Mine are much shorter. I know I made some goofs with my hull, but I never sanded 3/16 off the top of the bulwarks!. I'm asking because I'm working on my armament plan and it looks like none of the guns will be square in the ports unless I put them aboard without gun carriages :eek: :mad:. Have you shipped your guns?

Blessings. Peace. Gratitude.
Chuck

BMT! I hope masting and rigging are going well. I wanna see! Pictures please!

I haven’t even started it as the nuke and pave on my laptop took longer
then expected.. then life got in the away and then we got 8 inches of snow…
I will have my day planned for tomorrow, so pictures will follow.

As you know, I really hate it when my reality is interrupted by reality. That's a lot of snow. Here at Shangri-La we got about an inch yesterday. All it did was make the forest look lovely. It will be gone tomorrow and the dogs' paws will be muddy:eek:

I've started with increasing the bulwark height. So far so good. Edge bending is a long boring process. I'm waiting for wood to dry - like watching paint.

Enjoy your winter wonderland!

Back