USCG Harriet Lane for the United States Navy 1859 - Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) Scale 1:96

Have not had this much snow in a couple years .

I dislike it, but that’s living in the north east. nothing better than a winter Wonderland; when it someplace else.

Hopefully tomorrow will make some headway.

Keep you posted.

I feel ya. I loved snow when I was a kid. Looking out the window watching the snow fall at night. Walking around in a snowstorm in the day. Listening to
the quiet hiss it made as it fell. Snowflakes melting on my face, melting on my tongue. Playing and sledding in the bright sunshine in the blinding whiteness and crisp cold air... Of course, my dad did all the digging. Dig out the car, clear the driveway. All the work . Drive through all the bollocksed up traffic if the storm hit at rush-hour.
He never disabused my brother and me of our winter wonderland Idyll. Good on him. Now I hate the shit! :mad:

I’ve been starting the rigging for the past week, but haven’t gotten far as I haven’t started it..

And just today a late birthday present arrived in the mail..

Motivation..IMG_4701.jpegIMG_4700.jpeg

I’ve been starting the rigging for the past week, but haven’t gotten far as I haven’t started it..

And just today a late birthday present arrived in the mail..

Motivation..View attachment 429452View attachment 429453
I want to say great minds think alike! I have seen this book referenced in a number of threads and just ordered it today! I hope it will be as helpful as they say for both of us! :p One of the things I have been considering is the difference in rigging style between U.S. and European ships. When I was considering a second cathead, Paul @dockattner alerted me to the fact that the reference I was using for the idea might be pointing me in the wrong direction because it was by a European about European ships and models. So, I have also been looking into information on rigging US Navy steam ships in the Civil War era. I'll keep you posted on anything I find. I wonder if there is a living ship museum of a sidewheel ship from the period, like USS Constitution or USS Constellation?

LOL.....Please .. I did not know there was a difference in the rigging style between U.S. and European ships... I look forward to the exchange of information...

Both Petersson books are a must-have, the one pictured here and also be sure to get his book on fore and aft rigs. The books complement each other, and the information provided is pretty universal in their basics.

LOL.....Please .. I did not know there was a difference in the rigging style between U.S. and European ships... I look forward to the exchange of information...
BMT, I don't know that there is a difference, but now I'm open to the idea that there might be.

Well, it’s been a long while, and I apologize, for I have no idea why it’s taking me this long to post.

So, this is my first attempt at the rat line. I did not tie them but used a little diluted white glue as I thought it’d be kind of tiny for the scale of the boat. I’m rather happy, but I’m not satisfied with the dead eyes and the spacing on the shrouds.

As I typically say, it's another learning experience. I hope to finish the rigging in weeks and will keep you posted.

BMT

IMG_4802.jpegIMG_4803.jpegIMG_4802.jpegIMG_4803.jpeg

Well, it’s been a long while, and I apologize, for I have no idea why it’s taking me this long to post.

So, this is my first attempt at the rat line. I did not tie them but used a little diluted white glue as I thought it’d be kind of tiny for the scale of the boat. I’m rather happy, but I’m not satisfied with the dead eyes and the spacing on the shrouds.

As I typically say, it's another learning experience. I hope to finish the rigging in weeks and will keep you posted.

BMT

View attachment 437493View attachment 437494View attachment 437493View attachment 437494
Shrouds and ratlines can be very challenging to keep control of. Also, did I miss something? I see a lot more progress in finishing everything on deck, furniture, guns, etc.? I'm wondering if you and Chuck got my last couple of posts?

I did some extra work but forgot to post pictures. I think I got sidetracked .

I missed your last couple of posts and I reached out to the admin, and we'll see what they have to say.

I'll start checking the blogs daily because it seems like I can't rely on the alerts.

I did some extra work but forgot to post pictures. I think I got sidetracked .

I missed your last couple of posts and I reached out to the admin, and we'll see what they have to say.

I'll start checking the blogs daily because it seems like I can't rely on the alerts.
It's under "Flying Cloud" by Mamoli kit bash.
Take some retrospective pics of the deck houses, details etc. From what I cansee in your latest post the details look really nice! Thumbsup

BMT

View attachment 437493View attachment 437494View attachment 437493View attachment 437494
Good progress, BMT! I hear you on the problem of rigging in this scale. I think your call to glue rather than knot the ratlines was a good one. The knots would have been huge relative to the shrouds and the ratlines. I've learned from the logs of the master builders on SOS that rigging is a very fine art. Better every next time - even when the builder dumps the kit-supplied line and opts for aftermarket. You've done something to be happy with particularly given the material in the kit! Well done!

Blessings.
Chuck

Shrouds and ratlines can be very challenging to keep control of. Also, did I miss something? I see a lot more progress in finishing everything on deck, furniture, guns, etc.? I'm wondering if you and Chuck got my last couple of posts?
Good morning, shipmates!

My alerts are hit or miss. I saw one, but not the other, Pete. Like BMT, I'll try to be more regular in checking the logs I'm following ;)

Back