Uses for an old cutting mat

I find that bits of discarded cutting mat are quite useful. Some examples are pictured below.
1) Applying local pressure to a recently applied plank
2) Softening/changing the angle of a clamp face
3) Temporarily and adjustably securing a bight in a rigging cord. Eg before inserting a deadeye. The slit gives access to a hole drilled parallel to the surface.
Cutting mat bits.jpg

Ja Ja
Good modelers have green matts - this we discussed once and agreed ........
I have my doubts now with your new blue one ;)
I bought the blue one because it is metric on both sides. I eventually (and reluctantly) weaned myself off cubits and pekofurlongs so my discarded green mats are in mint condition on the side marked in old money units. Napoleon was a menace! Though he may have necessitated the building/preservation of HMS Victory.

I bought the blue one because it is metric on both sides. I eventually (and reluctantly) weaned myself off cubits and pekofurlongs so my discarded green mats are in mint condition on the side marked in old money units. Napoleon was a menace! Though he may have necessitated the building/preservation of HMS Victory.
for fun i looked up Furlong and came up with the folllowing conversion factor. What a coincidence. That is my lucky number :cool: :

1 metre is equal to 0.0049709695378987 furlong

So, as it applies to my Bismark I have a furlong of stanchions to install? Hmmm...

My wife quilts for a hobby, so she has some very large cutting mats she uses. She gets them at a quilting shop and they are white. Very easy to find small parts on. In my small office where I have a small desk I work on sometimes, I have a green mat, but for my shop to be built, I am getting one of her old mats that is 4 ft by 8 ft. that is white.

and they are white.
...Oh NO, they are not green! :p No luck there...
I am getting one of her old mats that is 4 ft by 8 ft. that is white.
Think twice before you get one! Unless it is green... :p
oh oh. I have recently discovered that there are various shades of green available.
Don't open another Pandora box with those green shadows, please! Perhaps we should ask @Steef66, he is proficient in green color mats. :cool:

...Oh NO, they are not green! :p No luck there...

Think twice before you get one! Unless it is green... :p

Don't open another Pandora box with those green shadows, please! Perhaps we should ask @Steef66, he is proficient in color mats. :cool:
of course not. I would like to announce that it won't be me who breaks the code.

Back