USF Confederacy 1778 - 1:64 - Model Shipways

Very good workmanship ! How long did it take you to build this? Any idea how many hours? I am not familiar with this kit. Was the figurehead supplied as on the model?

Very good workmanship ! How long did it take you to build this? Any idea how many hours? I am not familiar with this kit. Was the figurehead supplied as on the model?
Hello Walt, thank you very much!
I began building the model in Sept 2014 and finished it in June 2024. I didn´t count the hours, and I have no idea how many it took, however, it is a hobby of mine and not a full time activity.
The figurehead on the model was supplied with the kit,

Last edited:
Outstanding, a project to be proud of. Good attention to detail and finish. My Confederacy is currently on hold but being exposed to
what is required to successfully complete her let's me appreciate the skill and patience you have invested in your Confederacy.
Photography not too shabby either.
Thanks for sharing.

Outstanding, a project to be proud of. Good attention to detail and finish. My Confederacy is currently on hold but being exposed to
what is required to successfully complete her let's me appreciate the skill and patience you have invested in your Confederacy.
Photography not too shabby either.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much for your appreciation!

Fantastic model. Magnificent. I read some about the ship after looking at your model. One of the first to combat hogging with diagonal hull beams. Hope you don't mind what is no doubt an ignorant question. Regarding the row of small squares that appear to be openings through the hull below the gunports, are they unusual for this type of ship? I don't recall seeing them in pictures of other contemporary frigates (although no doubt they are out there somewhere). Can you give any insight as to the purpose, etc. of these openings, if that is what they are? Perhaps only to get light and air into the low deck?

Fantastic model. Magnificent. I read some about the ship after looking at your model. One of the first to combat hogging with diagonal hull beams. Hope you don't mind what is no doubt an ignorant question. Regarding the row of small squares that appear to be openings through the hull below the gunports, are they unusual for this type of ship? I don't recall seeing them in pictures of other contemporary frigates (although no doubt they are out there somewhere). Can you give any insight as to the purpose, etc. of these openings, if that is what they are? Perhaps only to get light and air into the low deck?
Thank you very much for your appreciation!
Regarding your question: the openings you mean were the sweep ports. These were openings where long oars could be passed through to warp the ship, and perhaps they were also opened for ventilation

Very nice model! What are the colors you choose? I am looking at building the Confederacy and have looked at a lot of different builds. I really like your color choice especially the yellow.

Back