Using a rope walk

I have a rope walk I made years ago and have a vague idea how to use it but I need a little more info. I found this video
but it's in Russian. I think he is saying the kind of stuff I need to know. Is there something similar in English. Most rope walk videos are 2 or 3 minute shorties that just show the machine working. I'm looking for things like what kind of thread, how much to twist it, that kind of stuff. I did a search on here and all I could find were critiques on rope making machines.
Thanks

Thanks Dirk there's some good stuff there. It sounds like the 3 page thread (Dubz Rope Walk) is a continuation of the development of your walk. Is there more somewhere? I've hunted around a bit and can't see anything but I'm not familiar with the forum layout and could be missing a lot.
Also on your recipes under remarks you have "twist to XX cm". I don't quite understand that. Is there a length you are starting with?
Thanks

Also on your recipes under remarks you have "twist to XX cm". I don't quite understand that. Is there a length you are starting with?
When twisting rope it will reduce in length, "twist to XX cm" is the movement of the sledge until starting the laying. But this might be differ on other ropewalks and should just use as "orientation".

Dirk

Thanks, I've been using about 10% of the starting length. The thing that seems to be holding me back at the moment is the swivel. I've been using fishing swivels but my fishing gear is very old. I'm going to try some ball chain(pull chain)The strands start to knot(from twisting) before the sledge starts moving on it's own. I'm using single strands of upholstery thread and I'm getting decent rope but I have to assist the sledge. My walk is very rudimentary, the head is made of an old Philishave shaver and the sledge is made from an old HO boxcar. I may make a new head as this one lack a bit in power.
Thanks for your helpDSC04487.JPG

I started with using swivel as it seems to be easier but changed to an active second laying motor on the laying sledge!

With Swivel it is not possible to get a tight rope!

I use Swivel AND laying motor when doing cables though.

10% is in general good but some needs more some less, depending on the amount of strands and wanted diameter of the rope.

I also changed almost completely to Gutermann Skala. It's less fuzzy and you get the smaller diameter never possible to do with Mara.

BTW, you will never never need Mara 30 and 15 in the usual scales (up to 1:48). Just use more strands, will look better.

cheers

Dirk

Thanks for your help Dirk. The ball chain worked a treat for a swivel. The Philishave motor is too weak though. I'm building a new head with old sewing machine parts but all I could find was wooden gears. They will do for a try. It's the third life for this sewing machine. Sewing, an arrow lathe for archery and now a rope walk. makes me feel good to be able to re use stuff.

Hello Don,
I make my own ropes using my own machine. I built a planetary rope machine because I think it is more efficient than the old machines from the 18th century. It is also easier to implement and less cumbersome.
Here is a video of my machine:

I use polyester threads from Nr 120 to Nr 10 (Gütermann or Tenax) and I can make rope with 3 or 4 threads in 5 different colors.

Here are some results:

Tailles cordages 3.jpgTailles cordages 4.jpg

For example, the rope made of 3 threads of 120 is 0.012 inches (0.3 mm) in diameter.

Here are my 5 available colors for ship models (Nr 30):
IMG_3488.JPG
Regards,
Fred

Maybe this will help in your search

Hello Don,
I make my own ropes using my own machine. I built a planetary rope machine because I think it is more efficient than the old machines from the 18th century. It is also easier to implement and less cumbersome.
Here is a video of my machine:

I use polyester threads from Nr 120 to Nr 10 (Gütermann or Tenax) and I can make rope with 3 or 4 threads in 5 different colors.

Here are some results:

View attachment 285247View attachment 285248

For example, the rope made of 3 threads of 120 is 0.012 inches (0.3 mm) in diameter.

Here are my 5 available colors for ship models (Nr 30):
View attachment 285249
Regards,
Fred
That looks like a very well designed/built machine. Do you have any pictures of it not running so I can see what is going on:) I'm assuming there are spools of thread in that spinning blur and where does the rope go when it disappears to the left?

There are actually 4 bobbins of thread (I can use 4 or only 3) which are inserted into commercial bobbin holders. These bobbin holders are important because they have an adjustable thread brake system that allows you to choose the right tension.
The green gears are parts bought on the internet. The transparent pieces are laser cut from Plexiglas. The blue parts are 3D printed.

Machine-44.jpg

Machine-45.jpg

Machine-46.jpg
Machine-47.jpg
It's me who pulls the rope with my fingers and I let it fall to the ground. Once the bobbins are empty, I heat the cordage to 200°C for a few seconds with a heat gun so that it doesn't unravel when cut. Finally, I roll it up on cardboard.
Machine-48.jpg

Here, the machine uses only 3 wires which are guided to the final tip which is interchangeable (3 holes or 4 holes). For 4-threads ropes, it is necessary to add a core which arrives through the hollow axis.
Machine-49.jpg

The length of the ropes is limited by the size of the bobbins. For fine ropes, up to 30 meters of cordage can be obtained. For the biggest threads (N° 10) only 3 meters are obtained.

I added a length counter which is normally meant for measuring fishing lines.

Best regards.
Fred

Back