USS Arizona - 1/200 Build Log

While my build of the 1/200 Titanic is my primary focus for now, I do have the Trumpeter 1/200 USS Arizona on the slips. This is actually my second attempt at creating my own memorial to the sailors and their ship, lost to the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbour, Sun Dec 7th, 1941. I've visited the memorial at Pearl a number of times and it is both haunting and captivating, so I was determined to do this build justice. I really wasn't happy with the quality of my first attempt, so was lucky enough to gain financially authority to purchase a 2nd kit, and start again. :)

arizonabox.jpg
The re-release of this model was modified to produce a radio-controlled version, also released by Trumpeter, and this resulted in a couple of changes to the interior of the hull mold and some of the decking, but nothing too drastic in the grand scheme of things.

The hull of the model comes in two sections, which generally join quite well and are held together with screws fore and aft, in addition to gluing. Of course, like any two piece hull, there was a was of Tamiya putty required gap fill followed by some vigorous sanding. Once joined and fully primed, I added some additional details missing from the model, such as the keel strakes, hull risers over the torpedo bulge and the AVGAS pipe on the port side.

Full Hull.jpegAVGAS Line FWD.jpegPrimed Hull.JPG

One big difference between the original kit and the updated one was the inclusion of a large hole in the amidships decking area, obviously to enable access to the RC equipments and running gear. The first of my kits had a complete deck, so I needed to modify this version of the model to allow for some minor interior details for the 5" casement guns and ensure a nice fit for the wooden deck. The 'enclosure' is by no means perfect, but it is covered up by the wooden deck, so no real concern.

Deck2 Open.jpegDeck 2 Closed.jpeg

Finally, for this entry I purchased the following upgrades to the kit:
  1. Mk 1 Design additional Upgrade Pack
  2. Mk 1 Design Wooden Decks
  3. Eduard Detail Sets Vols.1-6
  4. Master Models Main 14" Gun Barrels
  5. Master Models Secondary & AA Armament barrels.
Next post I'll touch on some upgrades to the superstructure, funnel build with PE and hull painting.

Last edited:
I grew up (some would argue it never happened) within walking distance of Pearl Harbor, and in later life on active duty could view the Arizona memorial from my lanai. Am already excited to see where you are taking this kit.

I grew up (some would argue it never happened) within walking distance of Pearl Harbor, and in later life on active duty could view the Arizona memorial from my lanai. Am already excited to see where you are taking this kit.
Hi, and thanks for your note. Must have been nice to actually live on Hawaii. I have visited many times on active duty, which is why I got to visit the memorial quite a bit. I really want to do justice to this model, which is why I've taken a small break to work my Titanic for now. Still some more updates to come though. :)

The Arizona is one of the first large scale models I have invested in for PE. From the two upgrade sets I got, the Eduard by far had the best detail for enhancing the Arizona's funnel.

Here's a couple of shots of stack with all the brass on board, prior to undercoating. (just sitting on deck; not attached).

Funnel PE1.jpgFunnel PE2.jpg

Hi there, Regarding a full Arizona build from a master modeller, as well as Titanic, check out the Midwest Model Shop on Youtube. There are full and very detailed build logs for this battleship and especially interesting is the way he overcomes the problems. All good to know in advance. F

Last edited:
Hi there, Regarding a full Arizona build from a master modeller, as well as Titanic, check out the Midwest Model Shop on Youtube. There are full and very detailed build logs for this battleship and especially interesting is the way he overcomes the problems. All good to know in advance. F
Hey there. Yep, I'm subscribed to Midwest Model Shop; he's helped me with some great hints so far on my Titanic. Had not found him when I started the Arizona but plan to revisit all their build logs on the Arizona when I get back into that build. :)

There are some very good examples of the 1/200 Arizona to be found on the internet. I took a couple of ideas from a few of these builds and adapted them for my Arizona.

Firstly, there was a power distribution box of sorts located on the 5" casement bulkheads, port and starboard. From photos, the moulded detail is a bit off, so I removed it and built a better representation of the box. It's the little things. :) The photo below shows one bulkhead as provided in the kit, and the other with the power box mod. You can also see the PE replacement doors for the 5" gun openings from the Eduard upgrades.

Distro Box B&A.jpeg

Second up, the decks of the kit don't represent the water runs that existed on the real ship. I used some Evergreen plastic strips to create a modest representation water runs (stern are shown). Additionally, the fairleads in the kit are inaccurate. The ones on Arizona were raised with a channel underneath the fairlead itself, so while doing the water runs, I modified the kit fairleads to provide a better representation of the real thing. Once painted up, I'm hoping they should look okay.

Water Run Mod.jpegWater Run Bollard Mod.jpeg

Back in 1977 I got to stay in Hawaii for a few month with the Air Force.

I and a group made the tour of Hickam AFB and the memorial in Pearl.

Interesting to learn the flag flying there each day is secured to a mast attached to the ships hull, and not to the memorial.

This made sense when our tour guide said the USS Arizona is still on Active Duty Service with the Navy.

Back in 1977 I got to stay in Hawaii for a few month with the Air Force.

I and a group made the tour of Hickam AFB and the memorial in Pearl.

Interesting to learn the flag flying there each day is secured to a mast attached to the ships hull, and not to the memorial.

This made sense when our tour guide said the USS Arizona is still on Active Duty Service with the Navy.
Hi Kurt,
That's how I've been fortunate to visit Hawaii and Pearl so many times, via deployment with our military. I think I've visited the Arizona at least five times now; it's such an amazing memorial. The flag, from my understanding, is actually attached to the remains of one of the aft tripod support legs, and it is flown IAW USN tradition because, as you said, she is still on Active Duty honouring the men who remain with her.
Cheers.

Arizona Memorial.JPG

While my build of the 1/200 Titanic is my primary focus for now, I do have the Trumpeter 1/200 USS Arizona on the slips. This is actually my second attempt at creating my own memorial to the sailors and their ship, lost to the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbour, Sun Dec 7th, 1941. I've visited the memorial at Pearl a number of times and it is both haunting and captivating, so I was determined to do this build justice. I really wasn't happy with the quality of my first attempt, so was lucky enough to gain financially authority to purchase a 2nd kit, and start again. :)

The re-release of this model was modified to produce a radio-controlled version, also released by Trumpeter, and this resulted in a couple of changes to the interior of the hull mold and some of the decking, but nothing too drastic in the grand scheme of things.

The hull of the model comes in two sections, which generally join quite well and are held together with screws fore and aft, in addition to gluing. Of course, like any two piece hull, there was a was of Tamiya putty required gap fill followed by some vigorous sanding. Once joined and fully primed, I added some additional details missing from the model, such as the keel strakes, hull risers over the torpedo bulge and the AVGAS pipe on the port side.

One big difference between the original kit and the updated one was the inclusion of a large hole in the amidships decking area, obviously to enable access to the RC equipments and running gear. The first of my kits had a complete deck, so I needed to modify this version of the model to allow for some minor interior details for the 5" casement guns and ensure a nice fit for the wooden deck. The 'enclosure' is by no means perfect, but it is covered up by the wooden deck, so no real concern.

Next post I'll touch on some upgrades to the superstructure, funnel build with PE and hull painting.
Hallo @Wedgie01
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 270591

View attachment 270594View attachment 270595View attachment 270596

View attachment 270597View attachment 270598

https://www.tcm.com/video/135414/here-comes-the-navy-original-trailer Jimmy Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Gloria Stuart ( Your Titanic connection) filmed on the Arizona in 1934.

Hey there, thanks for the link. I've been trying to track down a copy of that movie for years, but it would seem to be out of circulation. I was aware of Gloria Stuart being in both movies, but only recently realised she was the wife of Jimmy Stuart. :)

Hey there, thanks for the link. I've been trying to track down a copy of that movie for years, but it would seem to be out of circulation. I was aware of Gloria Stuart being in both movies, but only recently realised she was the wife of Jimmy Stuart. :)
TCM shows it. It's real sad to think some of the men you see may still be with the ship. It's a fun picture and the film of the fleet breasting the waves is something.

Back