USS CAIRO, Plank on Frame, RC, Live Steam

I checked and don’t have it on a SD card. Probably on a DVD but I have nothing to check those pictures with no computer now. Sorry.

Just dont worry, as we see, Dave has really good pics from the engine!

Hi @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)
Thank you so much, this will help me to reconstuct the engines. But there is still a question. In the plans from the historical report they show another auxiliary engine beneath the doctor. Was this engine really there, and what purpose did it have!
Auxiliary Engine.jpg

And now i will have to save all the photos to my PC and then try to reconstruct the engines..............

Best regards and stay healthe everyone!
Gerhard

Thank you so much, this will help me to reconstruct the engines. But there is still a question. In the plans from the historical report they show another auxiliary engine beneath the doctor. Was this engine really there, and what purpose did it have!

you may be referring to a small steam powered engine that was use for the capstan

That was, what I was thinking about, the doctor was not in use for the capstan, the main engines had other work to do, but where the h.....l was the auxiliary engine set? I could not find any hint for the correct place for that engine. As I think, this must have been placed between the main engine cylinders, the drawing may show that. Bit I`m still not sure about that.

I believe the only use of the Doctor engine which is not really an "engine" it was a pump and it was to pump river water into the boilers. I need to dig out my files on this and see if I can find that info for you.

Last edited:
Correct. The doctor was in use for the feedwater pumps and two coldwater pumps, that comes from the CAIRO report to the Engine and boilers, see the pdf. But nowhere is shown, where the auxiliary engie was placed, the drawings show that engine on what I believe is the starboard side. Currently working on 3D-Drawings of the boilers, then the engines, the doctor and the auxiliary engine will be made later.

Attachments

• 143-uss-cairo-engine-and-boilers-1862.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
This is really close to the boilers, slowly(!) I understand how things were built into the hull. Do I think right, that the right side of the picture shows the side of the burning chamber? So this is the starboard side view?

Some may have wonderd, where I`ve been the last few days. Had a lot to do on my PC, the boilers are in construction.
The 5 boilers themselves are done, first part is printing, mud drums and the steam drum are drawn in 3D, much work for the little PrimaCreator 3D Printer............
Kessel 004.JPG

Best regards, stay healthy!
Gerhard

Back after a lot of more work on the PC, and all boiler parts printed. I decided to make them as dummies, but even to let the whole set of boilers in the boat for the reason I could not build a working steam engine. So I have both possibilyties now, 3D printed parts or the working steam system....
Here comes the pics

The final stage of drawings
Kessel 006.JPG

Steam drum with connectors printed
001 Steam Drum.JPG

One half of a boiler printed. I just own a small printer, Monoprice Select P120, so I have to split larger parts into smaller pieces.
002 Boiler Printed.JPG

One half of boiler with coupling
004 Boiler w. Coupling.JPG

Rack to boilers
006 Rack for Boilers.JPG

Rack with Mud drums
007 Rack with Mud Drums.JPG

All Boilers mounted, with Steam Drum
009 Steam Drum assembled.JPG

First test in the hull, spacers are still missing
011 Set into Place.JPG

So far for now, stay well everyone!

Regards
Gerhard

Hi everyone

As I wrote, I`m currently working on a 1:50 measured model of the USS CAIRO. Planned is to build her with a full working steam engine, the build started around 2 years ago. So there will be a lot of older photos, I`ve made during the build. I`v made about 200 pics of the build so far, but had to make a longer break from model building, so I have to make a complete estart with it. The following posts will show how far I was until today, newer stuff will follow. But I do hve one issue, by a major computer crash I`ve lost almost all of the Bob Hill plans I had. I do kow the great build made by Gene Bodnar, and some other builds, but cannot find the plans anywhere in the world wide web anymore! SO, if anyone has the plans, PLEASE give me some PM, THANK YOU!!

Best Regards
Gerhard
If you are looking for a build blueprint of the Cairo I have several. My late father built several Cairo ships. If you need them give me your address and I will send them free of charge to you.

If you are looking for a build blueprint of the Cairo I have several. My late father built several Cairo ships. If you need them give me your address and I will send them free of charge to you.
If your looking for engine blue print. That I don’t have.

Hi @Lawrence

I just would need the Bob Hill drawings, all the drawings from the official reports were not lost or found again in the internet. But if it`s not too much work for you, would be fine to have your blueprints too. Will send you PM with my adress, many thanks in advance!

BTW; just working on the 3D-Model for all of the engines, including the Doctor and the suspicious "Auxiliary Engine"

Best regards AND STAY HEALTHY everyone!
Gerhard

Hi everyone

As I wrote, I`m currently working on a 1:50 measured model of the USS CAIRO. Planned is to build her with a full working steam engine, the build started around 2 years ago. So there will be a lot of older photos, I`ve made during the build. I`v made about 200 pics of the build so far, but had to make a longer break from model building, so I have to make a complete estart with it. The following posts will show how far I was until today, newer stuff will follow. But I do hve one issue, by a major computer crash I`ve lost almost all of the Bob Hill plans I had. I do kow the great build made by Gene Bodnar, and some other builds, but cannot find the plans anywhere in the world wide web anymore! SO, if anyone has the plans, PLEASE give me some PM, THANK YOU!!

Best Regards
Gerhard
Hallo Gerhard,
all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Alles Alles Gute zu deinem Geburtstag
Birthday-Cake

Back