USS CONFEDERACY (1778) - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - by ship photographer.com

I may be wrong Daniel,but I suspect the thin Cyanoacrylate is used to create the Treenail effect.Seen this done somewhere before but the builder escapes me.

Olha,I see you have dumped the kit basswood planking in the bin.What timber are you using for the planking, it looks a little like boxwood?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Olha

Great video !! At 19:35 you cover all with superglue, then you scrap it with a razor followed by a good sanding, correct ?

After all that, will you be able to stain or varnish the wood ? I will assume that the wood pores are all filled with the glue. Am I wrong ?

Moreover, was the aim of using superglue to reinforce all ?

Thank you and sorry for all these questions,

Daniel
Yes, it was a superglue and the main purpose of its application - imitation nails and as 2 additional bonuses: completely closed pores, which makes the application of tinting stains in a thin layer without the effect of "dirt" - the pores of the wood in the scale become giant, which makes the wood just dirty) and you can easily use oils too; wood becomes conservated and less responsive to high humidity, which is a big problem in my place...

I may be wrong Daniel,but I suspect the thin Cyanoacrylate is used to create the Treenail effect.Seen this done somewhere before but the builder escapes me.

Olha,I see you have dumped the kit basswood planking in the bin.What timber are you using for the planking, it looks a little like boxwood?

Kind Regards

Nigel
Yes, the nail imitation are the main goal!
And you identified the wood correctly - it's a castello boxwood...

Hi. Allows me this question : is acrylic varnish could replace the CA (costly material) ?

Thanks,

Michel
It depends on what finish you will use next and how fluid the acrylic varnish is so that it hardens in the holes, and most importantly if it will be evenly scraped. Try to make some samples, and then choose the option that suits you!
I used acrylic varnish only on my first model - after which I threw all the jars in the trash and started using traditional modeling materials such as oils, shellac and bitumen for aging...

Back