USS Constitution 1:70 Scratch

Mustafa and Pete, the Turkish Black Sea fishing boat is very neat and would be fun to build, but I have several in front of it that I need to finish first.
Hi Mike, this fishing boat is a recommended kit for beginners. At that time, experienced model makers recommended it to me. I bought the kit and started building it, But what really interested me were sailing warships and the fishing boat did not satisfy me so I left it unfinished and started on Christopher Columbus's Santa Maria.
The kit I linked is compatible with remote control, but what I made is not. Maybe one day I'll complete it. Regards.

Amazing! This may be the coolest, most engaging (for me) build I've had the privilege to follow yet!Thumbsup
Got a log and/or pics of your "Santa Maria"?:D

Pete
Thank you for your interest, Peter. Links to the build logs of all the models I have completed are listed under my signature below. Can you see the list?

Last edited:
The use of hornbeam wood that I am familiar with is that because it is exceptionally hard and dense it has been used traditionally for possibly more than a century for making the bodies of wood planes. I think these hornbeam wood bodied planes are still being manufactured. I am sure that there are other more well-informed members who can expand on the subject. I am sure these properties and light color make it an appealing choice for deck planks.

Bildiğim gürgen ağacının kullanımı, son derece sert ve yoğun olması nedeniyle muhtemelen bir yüzyıldan fazla bir süredir ahşap düzlemlerin gövdelerinin yapımında geleneksel olarak kullanılmasıdır. Bu gürgen ahşap gövdeli uçakların halen üretildiğini düşünüyorum. Konuyu genişletebilecek daha bilgili üyelerin olduğuna eminim. Eminim bu özellikleri ve açık rengi, döşeme tahtaları için onu çekici bir seçim haline getirmektedir.
Peter, yes, I use hornbeam extensively in my models because it is a very strong and workable wood just like pear and boxwood, But much cheaper.

Last edited:
I did a quick search online for hornbeam (aka blue beech, ironwood) comes in American and European varieties. Exceptionally heavy, dense and hard, yet relatively fast growing. Sapwood a nice pale color, finishes nicely. Not often used in construction or furniture because of its' hardness, but suitable for making tool handles or bodies, such as for planes. Still being used in the manufacture of traditional wood bodied and soled planes. A really nice, but relatively overlooked, wood.

Peter, yes, I use hornbeam extensively in my models because it is a very strong and workable wood just like pear and boxwood, But much cheaper.
Hi, Mustafa. Unless it is some Horbneem I have never seen before, the timber you are using on the deck looks like a Beech to me, with this prominent (only available in beech) straight-grained and uniform texture.

1695765617077.png

Hornbeam has a different texture, somewhat oily without the prominent grain.

1695765477896.png

Regardless, of whether it is Hornbeam or another type of wood, your deck planking looks great!

Hi, Mustafa. Unless it is some Horbneem I have never seen before, the timber you are using on the deck looks like a Beech to me, with this prominent (only available in beech) straight-grained and uniform texture.

View attachment 396837

Hornbeam has a different texture, somewhat oily without the prominent grain.

View attachment 396836

But in any case, whether it is Hornbeam or another type of wood, your deck planking looks great!
Hello Jim. Thank you very much for getting involved. Yes, the wood I use looks like the one in the top picture. Before starting this hobby, I knew almost nothing about the wood species and their characteristics. Although I am much more knowledgeable now, of course this knowledge is still not at the level of expertise. I buy the wood materials online. On the website I shopped from it says it is hornbeam. This store is not an ordinary hobby store, it is also a carpentry workshop and the men are men who know the wood. I don't think they are wrong.
By the way, the wood I use is actually hard and solid. I've never used beech but I've read that it is a softer wood.
Maybe the wood you call beech there is what we call hornbeam here. This is also a possibility. :)

Last edited:
I did a quick search online for hornbeam (aka blue beech, ironwood) comes in American and European varieties. Exceptionally heavy, dense and hard, yet relatively fast growing. Sapwood a nice pale color, finishes nicely. Not often used in construction or furniture because of its' hardness, but suitable for making tool handles or bodies, such as for planes. Still being used in the manufacture of traditional wood bodied and soled planes. A really nice, but relatively overlooked, wood.
In my investigation I saw that hornbeam and beech are related. European hornbeam having perhaps the more prominently flecked grain and pronounced coloring (more like beech) than the American species. This was what I could gather from the pictures provided of the two types.

In my investigation I saw that hornbeam and beech are related. European hornbeam having perhaps the more prominently flecked grain and pronounced coloring (more like beech) than the American species. This was what I could gather from the pictures provided of the two types.
Thanks for your contribution, Peter. Yes, the trees with the same name growing on different continents can have different characteristics. For example, Alaskan cedar and Spanish cedar. The colors of both cedars are really different.

Last edited:
Back