USS Constitution 1:70 Scratch

Hello Mustafa - you have been very busy doing remarkable things since I last checked-in. I love all the detail work on the gun-deck, and I particularly like the hornbeam. It looks really fantastic! The exterior planking is all splendid. This will be an excellent model.
Thank you for the encouraging comment my friend. I'm not in a hurry. I gave myself 2 years to complete Conny :)

Have really enjoyed reading your log and seeing your work on Old Ironsides (the proper nickname for USS Constitution; I've seen others have called her 'Connie' but that nickname belongs to the various incarnations of USS Constellation). I have the Model Shipways' model of USS Constitution waiting to be started sometime in 2024 (have to finish my current build first). Seeing your work, and knowing it is from scratch, is inspiring.

Have really enjoyed reading your log and seeing your work on Old Ironsides (the proper nickname for USS Constitution; I've seen others have called her 'Connie' but that nickname belongs to the various incarnations of USS Constellation). I have the Model Shipways' model of USS Constitution waiting to be started sometime in 2024 (have to finish my current build first). Seeing your work, and knowing it is from scratch, is inspiring.
Thanks for your information and interest. I'll stop calling her Connie from now on. Better to call her Old Ironside.

I glued the filler blocks to the bow and stern then I started the hull planking..First, I put the garboards on both sides and then added another plank next to them. From now on, I will continue the planking from the top towards the keel.

30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg

Last edited:
I glued the filler blocks to the bow and stern then I started the hull planking..First, I put the garboards on both sides and then added another plank next to them. From now on, I will continue the planking from the top towards the keel.

View attachment 399860View attachment 399861View attachment 399862View attachment 399863View attachment 399864
Hi
Very impressive work.
I've nearly finished planking my Constitution using the kits 1/8*1/16" planks. I'm curious as to what size planks and type of timber you are using.
Thanks Tony

Hi
Very impressive work.
I've nearly finished planking my Constitution using the kits 1/8*1/16" planks. I'm curious as to what size planks and type of timber you are using.
Thanks Tony
I've also been watching your build log, Tony. You really do a very clean and neat job on your ship.
To answer your question, I use 2x5mm planks (basswood) in the wales and 1.5x5mm planks (basswood) in the rest of the hull.

I have started preparing the wales and gluing them in place. I make the wales using 2x5 mm basswood planks. The planks are tapered a little at the bow and stern, and then, after being kept in boiling water for about 10 minutes, they are fastened in place with clamps and pins. After drying and taking shape, the planks are glued into place. Additionally, edge bending is required on the planks in the bow side. Otherwise, the planks cannot make full contact with the bulkheads.

35.jpg36.jpg37.jpg38.jpg39.jpg

20231017_124743.jpg20231007_093004.jpg

20231007_093233.jpg20231019_140815.jpg20231019_143420.jpg

Last edited:
Back