USS Constitution 1:76 Scratch

This is a real question (not a criticism)...

I'm surprised to see the athwartship beams with half-laps to receive the longitudinal beams (carlings?). Is that the way it was done, or an accommodation to make it easier to build on a model?

As always, your scratch work is inspirational!
Thank you. I am not sure if I understand your question right but I can say that I am just making what I see in the images of Constitution on the internet. If you can explain what you mean in another way I try to answer.

By the way, a friend from the forum reminded me that I should pull the anchor chains to the gun deck at this stage. I didn't have such a chain on hand because it was a subject that was completely out of my mind. I immediately started looking for a chain and went to the online store where I source such materials from time to time. I was very lucky that I found the chain, which was very similar to the real one and in the appropriate size in the store and ordered it. I think the chain is made with 3D resin printing. Meanwhile, while waiting for the chain to arrive, I prepared guide threads to pull the chain from the havse holes to the gun deck so that I can continue assembling the beams.

12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg3.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I'm OK with the leeway I get from modelmaking. But this is shipbuilding!
You are, indeed, a shipwright at scale.
I have found your build to be fascinating, engaging and a resource on the art of historic shipbuilding.

so fantastic, beautiful work... but will you still see all this when the top deck is mounted?
Thank you Mark. The model in the photos is the USF Essex, which I have built before. As you can see, I made the deck details on that model too, but I partially covered the spar deck. Thus, the details on the lower deck can also be seen. I will follow the same way on the Constitution and partially cover the spar deck.

22.jpg21.jpg23.jpg

Back