USS Constitution 1:76 Scratch

maybe interesting to read for you

The photograph below, taken on November 11, 1974, after Constitution had been refloated from Dry Dock 1 in the Charlestown Navy Yard, shows what appears to be a Navy Yard worker (in the hard hat with number “63”) installing an inner flange on the port hawse pipes. The cast iron hawse pipes are, essentially, sleeves that fit into the holes cut through the three layers of oak that make up Constitution‘s hull structure. The outboard flange is cast to the body of the hawse pipe. However, there is no inboard flange cast to the pipe body, which may be one reason the 1971 drawing was made. At that time, in the early 1970s, it may have been determined that the hawse pipes needed to have inner flanges that could be through-bolted to the outer flange, thereby locking the hawse pipe securely into the ship’s bow.
View attachment 428043
Charlestown Navy Yard workers on USS Constitution’s gun deck, November 11, 1974. The worker in the hard hat may be setting an inner hawse pipe flange in place. [Courtesy Naval History & Heritage Command Detachment Boston]
A very interesting document, Uwe. Thank you for sharing.

Since I don't have a detailed plan, I have to build the ship by looking at the images on the internet. While manufacturing each part, I take the measurements from the model, first draw the manufacturing drawing and produce the parts accordingly.

In this case, I now have to build the gun deck and spar deck simultaneously to ensure harmony between them. As a strategy, I chose to start from the bow of the ship and move towards the stern.

To ensure the stability of the ship, three different knees are used between the decks: vertical, horizontal and diagonal. I will need to manufacture each of these knees by taking measurements on the model.

It will be a long and difficult journey. :)

33.jpg31.jpg32.jpg34.jpg

Last edited:
Mastery is not something that appears fully formed, like Athena from the mind of Zeus. It kind of creeps up on you after years of practice so you hardly notice. It begins with a sincere appreciation of what it is you're working on. You clearly have that.
So, it's no wonder that you're surprised when others take notice of your accomplishment, having caught you unaware, as it were.
I've spent my working life around examples of fine woodworking spanning several centuries. (I had the good luck of walking into the right antique furniture dealer in the right place at the right time around 1980 and they gave me a chance, liked what they saw, and put me to work.) So please accept my sincere appreciation of your skills.

Pete

Mastery is not something that appears fully formed, like Athena from the mind of Zeus. It kind of creeps up on you after years of practice so you hardly notice. It begins with a sincere appreciation of what it is you're working on. You clearly have that.
So, it's no wonder that you're surprised when others take notice of your accomplishment, having caught you unaware, as it were.
I've spent my working life around examples of fine woodworking spanning several centuries. (I had the good luck of walking into the right antique furniture dealer in the right place at the right time around 1980 and they gave me a chance, liked what they saw, and put me to work.) So please accept my sincere appreciation of your skills.

Pete
Thank you again for your nice thoughts. It's an honor to hear these from a master like you.

Last edited:
As I install the vertical knees, I will also add the gun tackles. I couldn't do this before because the tackle hooks are connected to the eyebolts attached to the knees.

I don't plan on adding rope coils to the gun tackles. Maybe I'll add these to the guns on the spar deck.

Of course, like everything else, I am making the blocks and hooks myself. :)

20240222_125942.jpg20240222_125819.jpg

20240223_092314.jpg

20240223_092242.jpg

20240223_092939.jpg

Last edited:
The bowsprit bitts and the beam to which they were fixed were painted and mounted in place. The beam at the forward end has been prepared.

In the meantime, I continue to prepare the gun tackles and add them to the guns.

35.jpg36.jpg37.jpg

20240223_134829.jpg

20240224_131238.jpg

Last edited:
Back