USS Constitution @ Charlestown Navy Yard

Excellent photography as usual, Donnie, and thanks for sharing it. I am intrigued to see what look like steps running up the bowsprit and have never seen that on a real ship or model if that is what they are.

You are right - you know I saw that and didn't think much of it at the time, but now that you bring it back to my attention, you are correct, I have never seen anything like that before. I am wondering if that is temporary for re rigging. I wouldn't think so as it is painted and looks like it is built into the bowsprit.

While not "common", those steps were used during the latter 18th and into the 19th centuries. I have seen some contemporary models that included them, and the occassional drawing. I'll try to dig back into my files when i get a moment to see what i can dredge up for you.

Donnie

I have just been reviewing the USS Constitution photos and I think IMG_4400 is an upper deck cannon up against the green Bukwarks. I am thinking of building the carriages for the upper deck. Am I correct in my assumption?

Cheers
Geoff

I love visiting the Constitution, and do so frequently since I live fairly close in Connecticut. These are fantastic photos. I, too, was surprised about those steps on the bow sprit, and I have often wondered whether there were manropes alongside.

Bill

Thanks for bringing this photos up.....I have to search much more often in all the valuable topics ......
These photos would be something for the media gallery.

Donnie,
Thank you for the photos which will be very useful during my build. I will be going to see the Constitution in two weeks. Will try to take some photos as well.
Appreciate your contribution and your videos.
Best regards,
Dan

Donnie, very good information about rigging in this series of photos, thank you.

Thanks for the photos Donnie. I had not notice this forum till this morning. The photos will prove to be helpful on the Connie build. I see my pinnacle weathering is way off from the appearance in some the pictures. I’m going for a weathered look I guess. Thank you for the Devotional 9 as well. Happy Thanksgiving!

Question on mast rigging?

Elsewhere I have read to rig the fore and aft centerline stays first, then the shrouds and other rigging.

Looking at photos of these masts the stays going forward are looped on top of the shroud lines??

Is this correct or did someone miss rig this in rebuild.

Question on mast rigging?

Elsewhere I have read to rig the fore and aft centerline stays first, then the shrouds and other rigging.

Looking at photos of these masts the stays going forward are looped on top of the shroud lines??

Is this correct or did someone miss rig this in rebuild.
Hallo,
maybe you should ask your question in the related area of the forum:

Back