• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

USS Constitution - Model Shipway’s 5/32” = 1 ft. (1:76.8) Kit No.: MS2040

The surface of the jib boom is obviously a circle in the cross section, so my choice was to either create a concave surface on the back of the stairs or a flat strip on the jib boom to seat the steps. I decided to create a flat surface on the back of the stairs and on the jib boom. Because the jib’s top surface was not tapered, it was placed in the drill stand vise (which can accommodate the circular shape) so that I could shave off a ¼” wide flat length to accommodate the stairs with the ¼” router bit. The dry fit seems to work.
Jib Boom 07.png

At the tip of the boom are the two bees. According to the practicum, each one is 3/16” x 1 1/16” x 1/16” thick. However, those dimensions are based on the plan view which foreshortens the width. The correct true width dimension is a bit wider based on the cross-section view, is ¼”, but only the nerd in me would notice that. That insight comes from taking mechanical drawing, learning the skills of a draftsman who worked with pencil, pen and paper in high school. Them were the “olden days.” Now, we are learning CAD skills. In practice, the difference in dimensions is infinitesimal on the model.

The sheeves on the bees are offset from each other. Normally, one would drill two holes and cut a groove between them to simulate the pulley wheel inside. Because the pully wheels are in the blocks of wood under the top slabs, trying to match the photos, I elongated the top openings and drilled just one hole through the under-block. The other would-be holes are covered by the top slabs so only half of the pulley wheels are seen.

Jib Boom 08.png
The jib boom saddle was quicky cut. It has a box cut into the end that is the seat. The US Navy plan looks a bit complicated, but that is because there is a rigid five-sided strap shown folded down. It will be added once the flying jib boom is installed. But now that I had the saddle, I needed to ensure that the flying jib boom would fit properly. It requires a “T” shaped tenon. The tenon sits in the box opening and the arms of the “T” rest on the top of the box.

Jib Boom 09.png
First the end of an 11/64” dowel was formed into an octagon shape using the Proxxon Dividing Attachment bolted onto the Proxxon X-Y table vertically so that the dowel was horizontal to the cutting blade in the Dremel tool. It took two attempts, but I got something that would work. Then I cut the sides to create the “T.” As I have mentioned before, the hard part for me is that I don’t have vertical fine-tuning controls on the Dremel drill stand. The good news is that it fit on the first try. It’s not as pretty as Mustfa’s, but it will work.


Jib Boom 10.png

The practicum used 0.015” x 0.040” Styrene strips to create the four jib boom straps. Other builders used brass strips. I had 0.005” and 0.010” brass plate on hand which I thought were too thin. However, I did have 0.025” copper plate. Since the jib boom was to be completely painted hiding the strip material’s identity, I cut 3/64” copper strips using my Byrnes saw. These were wrapped around the boom at the appropriate locations.

Jib Boom 12.png
 
Eight Chocks are required, more if you are going to use rope for gammoning. Since my model is supposed to reflect what the ship looks like today, it’s going to require gammoning irons. Due to the required sharp edges and delicate shape, the chocks were cut from a 1/16” x 1/16” strip of boxwood instead of the kit’s provided basswood. Additionally, four of the chocks had notches cut into them to accommodate the straps passing under them.
Jib Boom 13.png

Next came the fairlead fabrication. This was straight forward as I made a template with a copy of the fairlead plan, rubber cemented to a piece of 1/16” boxwood. Using a disc sander, and a grinder on a Dremel tool, they made quick work carving the half circle shape. The practicum used a #75 drill bit to cut the holes, but after looking at the actual photos, I thought they looked too small, so I re-drilled them with a 1/32” bit. In the process of fabricating the fairlead, I noticed that the MS plan has 7 holes in the fairlead while the actual photos show only 6. Also, in the photos, the fairlead has a slightly flattened bottom while the MS plan does not. Since I had already drilled 7 holes, I just flattened the fairlead to match the photos. What’s one more discrepancy?
Jib Boom 14.png
 
There is still one more item yet to be fabricated and installed on the jib boom, the gammoning irons. These are a bit more complicated. As mentioned earlier, chains are used in lieu of rope today and they do not pass the gammoning holes in the stem as rope does. The chains are attached to a half strap mounted on top of the jib boom via eye bolts and shackles and end at eyebolts embedded in the stem. You can barely see the embedded eyebolts in the 1929 picture below.
Gammoning 01.png
Since my model does not have embedded eyebolts in the stem and I would have had to dismantle the planking at the stem to access them even if I did, I have elected to pass the chains through the gammoning holes for convenience like xKen (Ken Forman) did on his model. In either case, most viewers will not see clearly where the chains go, once they pass by the seats of ease.
 
You are the absolute GOAT, Jon, with your detailed descriptions. So much appreciated for those of us who are also working on this ship. Your posts remind me so much of how Ken Foran posted updates on his Constitution build, as well. Thank you!
The plan shows 25 steps; I was just a smidge off somewhere and ended up with 27 steps to get the proper length. It is not an obvious error. I mean, my model is full of errors, so who is going to notice or quibble about one more.
I lost count at 19, anyways, so I'm not arguing. <shrug> As I was reading your post, though, I wasn't anticipating using your Dremel to flatten out the one side! I was guessing maybe you would have used the table saw. Nice work, Jon!
 
Back
Top