USS Constitution - very old Mamoli kit - by first time builder - build log

Does anyone know of a supplier of Limewood strips 1mm x 5mm approximately 24 inches?
Hello, John. You can use basswood instead of Limewood, it is no big difference for the first layer of planking, and most likely will be cheaper as Limewood in the USA is hard to find. Anyway, your supplier choice would be Dave Stevens @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard). PM him with questions.

Merry Christmas to you too. Yes, if my mind was working I should have looked at the smaller blueprints where it shows how the part goes. As you know I am totally new to this ( plus, this model is poorly cut. You didn't let me down, I let myself down. Hope everyone is having a great day.
You shouldn't feel bad. I received this kit, and the large "Cutty Sark" from a friend. His father, a master modeler, wasn't able to finish them. Both hulls are completely finished (Thank Heavens!!) so I only (!!!) have to complete the upper works, rigging, etc. The Mamoli plans for the "Constitution" are very hard to understand. It would help if I spoke Italian....:). You picked an extremely difficult kit to start with, but you are making good progress. Keep plugging away.

It appears I am going to be short enough Limewood strips to finish the first layer of planking. When I bought this on eBay the seller thought everything was there. The planking was the only parts loose in the box.
Does anyone know of a supplier of Limewood strips 1mm x 5mm approximately 24 inches?
Try Model Expo. They sell wood. Also Micro Mark. And, take a look at the ads on the right side of the Home Page. Some of them may sell wood strips. It doesn't have to be limewood. You could probably substitute basswood. There is no "exposed" bare wood on the finished hull. Everything is painted. I can send photos of the finished hull if you would like to see the finished product, or any salient portion. I broke my upper left arm back in Dec 2018 so I know how it limits your motion....and hurts (I'm 79). Keep on truckin'.....:)

Try Model Expo. They sell wood. Also Micro Mark. And, take a look at the ads on the right side of the Home Page. Some of them may sell wood strips. It doesn't have to be limewood. You could probably substitute basswood. There is no "exposed" bare wood on the finished hull. Everything is painted. I can send photos of the finished hull if you would like to see the finished product, or any salient portion. I broke my upper left arm back in Dec 2018 so I know how it limits your motion....and hurts (I'm 79). Keep on truckin'.....:)
I have contacted both of these and several others, but nobody has any that are 1x5mm.
Yes I would really like to see the photos.
Thank you

I feel my lack of experience in building a wooden ship model has handicapped me to some extent. I depend on the drawings to help me. That has been major problem. I am attaching 3 photos. The first 2 (figures 2 and 4) show the plank above the gun ports to stop at post before the reaching the stern. The third photo (figure 6) shows the plank going all the way to the stern. Since I lack the experience to know which to do.20210115_231545.jpg

20210115_231554.jpg

20210115_231602.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel my lack of experience in building a wooden ship model has handicapped me to some extent. I depend on the drawings to help me. That has been major problem. I am attaching 3 photos. The first 2 (figures 2 and 4) show the plank above the gun ports to stop at post before the reaching the stern. The third photo (figure 6) shows the plank going all the way to the stern. Since I lack the experience to know which to do.
Run it to the stern. Mamoli has a bad habit of doing things like that. You can always remove it later if need be.... I'd run it to the end. Thats just my opinion.,

Run it to the stern. Mamoli has a bad habit of doing things like that. You can always remove it later if need be.... I'd run it to the end. Thats just my opinion.,
Thank you. I will do that.

The instructions that came with kit are each of the drawings, but they are in one big paragraph. It is easy for me to miss an instruction because and am old. Lol
I have retype the first two tables, emphasizing key points and parts. This makes the instructions easier to follow and hopefully, will keep me from skipping a step.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Stay safe.

Here are the photos I mentioned earlier I wish I could get a closer view but the camera is new and I am old and I haven't figured out how to focus close up. You should be able to open one in a photo program and use the zoom tool to get a closer look101_0202.JPG

101_0211.JPG

101_0202.JPG

101_0211.JPG

101_0212.JPG

101_0213.JPG

101_0214.JPG

101_0217.JPG

101_0219.JPG

101_0224.JPG

101_0226.JPG

101_0231.JPG

101_0232.JPG

101_0233.JPG

101_0234.JPG

101_0235.JPG

101_0236.JPG

101_0237.JPG

101_0238.JPG

101_0240.JPG

I recently posted I was going to remove all the gun ports and install the first plank and then butt the gun ports against this plank. I did this so the the gun ports were properly aligned and + out about 1mm, instead of randomly. Also my cheap ship by holder broke and I bought a better one. I now have the first plank installed on the starboard side. Now for the port and on to the gun ports. I hope to have all the first planking done by the end of the weekend.
My fractured shoulder is really limiting my working on the ship.

Does anyone know what the Italian word "vinavii (or vinavll) means? I am suppose dip some strips in water to which a few drops of "vinavii have been added.

Ready to install gunports. The two planks will help keep them in alignment.

20210127_194111.jpg

20210127_194256_HDR.jpg

20210127_195100_HDR.jpg

20210127_194334.jpg

Does anyone know what the Italian word "vinavii (or vinavll) means? I am suppose dip some strips in water to which a few drops of "vinavii have been added.
I looked that up also. Basically came up with diluted pva glue. worked for me. I'm building a Mamoli victory and the hanger baskets linings (where sailors put their hammocks during the day) says vinavil.

I guess it is meaning "VINAVIL" glue - Vinyl -adhesive

51BXORHL+NL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Will now start planking after getting gunports installed

Attachments

• 20210201_120759.jpg
    20210201_120759.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 6
I have made some progress. Need to get up my courage to start the main planking.

Back