USS Constitution - very old Mamoli kit - by first time builder - build log

I have not been able to work on my models. Had my fifth spinal surgery. It was postponed several times due to the pandemic. Don't know if I will ever be able to resume working on the models.
Keep care and we cross all the fingers that everything will went well - fast recovery

I have not been able to work on my models. Had my fifth spinal surgery. It was postponed several times due to the pandemic. Don't know if I will ever be able to resume working on the models.
Hallo @JohnB163 ,
hope you are well and that you recovered in the meantime.....
We wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Keep care
Birthday-Cake

Since August of 2019 I have had 7 back surgeries. I fell two weeks ago and fractured my right shoulder. I am going to try working on the USS Constitution, but the shoulder is very painful and I can not lift it very high. How this works out I will not know until I start on the model. I doubt I will live long enough to finish, but I am determined to try. I also paint, but the shoulder has definitely ended that for awhile.

Dont give up John!
Best wishes to you and your family and a happy new year with many hours of painless building fun!
Christian

Hi, John. I wrote on this thread a while back, so sorry to hear of your problem. At over 70, and with a triple bypass, I can understand your thinking. Working on the 1/84 Victory, sometimes wondering will I finish before my time? My kids are all laying claim to my ships, so I'm determined to get her done. May sound corny, but we can't let the negative thoughts rule. Assume you mean paint as in artwork? That's my background, now planning on the Victory in oil, it would be great if you're able to get back to it.

Hi, John. I wrote on this thread a while back, so sorry to hear of your problem. At over 70, and with a triple bypass, I can understand your thinking. Working on the 1/84 Victory, sometimes wondering will I finish before my time? My kids are all laying claim to my ships, so I'm determined to get her done. May sound corny, but we can't let the negative thoughts rule. Assume you mean paint as in artwork? That's my background, now planning on the Victory in oil, it would be great if you're able to get back to it.
Yes I paint in oils and acrylic. Also was trying digital painting. It simply hurts too bad to paint. At 77 my time is limited so I am trying to find which of my hobbies causes the minimum amount of pain.

That is a massive improvement John.The amount you have had to remove from the slots comes as no surprise,these were a good idea in principle,just a shame Mamoli cut them all over the place.
When you glue the castings in place solid,remember to set the back of them vertical,do not work to the front sloping face.These were produced in about three different angles of slope for most of their kits.Expect to have the top or bottom ledge stuck well outside of the first planking.These are sanded flush when the hull is faired after first planking.

Kind Regards

Nigel
This is very helpful. Thank you.

John
You need to check the heights of the gunport positions against the main drawing.On every Mamoli build I have seen,the positions of the slots in the bulkheads have been all over the place.Most builders have had to make adjustments to get the correct line to the ports.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Very helpful. Thank you.

Hi John
I think you are placing too much emphasis on where the kit "sketches" show where the planks fall and overthinking things.This does not matter in the slightest to the finished model.
Your deck in the latest pictures has a smooth flowing sheer.I do not think the bulkhead is too high,I think the shape is wrong and will need scrap timber gluing to it's edge before fairing otherwise you will have a dip on the underside of the hull.
I have Mamoli's Royal Louis drawings and so far as accuracy is concerned regarding bulkheads,they are complete garbage.The drawings aren't even symmetrical so it is no surprise that have seen issues with many Mamoli builds on the net.What you are supplied with parts wise is something approximating what you should get.
You need to focus on achieving gunport placement to the main drawing,forget the existing port slots as a lot of these will be out and as you mention,the castings are not a consistent size.Also forget any sketches that show where planks are supposed to fall in relation to the stern galleries.I do not think even Mamoli drew these as gospel.
The simple way to look at it and the way I would do it,is you need one full planking below the port casting and one above.This distance between is the height of the casting.This should follow a natural arc that is parallel to the outer edge of your deck.Set these planks first,then slot in and glue the castings.Adjust any oversize castings with a file if they are too high to fit between.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Extremely helpful. Thank you.

Has anyone used the "dead eyes mooring tool? Before working again on the USS Constitution I thought I would get my tools in order. It is a simple project except the assembly instructions are minimal.
Are the two rulers glued on one side.

Attachments

• 16097681248712687010706214424283.jpg
    16097681248712687010706214424283.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 5
Sorry to be late on this, but on my Mamoli, the gun ports are straight across. If not, both the gun deck and white stripe would have to curve upwards. Pictures may not show this, but...
Based on your input I am going to take the gunpoints out again and make them all match straight across. On last question, do the edges (particularly the sloped ones) protrude out from the planks or flush to the planks.

I am removing my metal gun ports an planking. I plan to start over.
After reviewing the plans I can determine how the gun ports are attached. How far, if at all, do the gun ports stick out from the frame and planking.
This is where I got stuck in 2019.
Is there anyone who have completed this kit?
I have about 60 hours on this step. I have removed and repositioned the gun ports at least a dozen times. If I give up I will start on the two USS Rattlesnake kits I have or go back to plastic.
My thanks to everyone who have tried to help me.
John B

All gun ports and planking have been removed. I intend to attach the first plank as shown in the plans. The gun ports will butt up against this plank. I believe the gun ports stick about 1mm out from this and the bottom plank on which the gun ports rest.
I feel I owe the group an apology. Between my health and the lack of experience with wood models. I had become very frustrated.
I will begin my "build log" again when I get the gun ports re-installed and the planks assembled
around them.

It appears I am going to be short enough Limewood strips to finish the first layer of planking. When I bought this on eBay the seller thought everything was there. The planking was the only parts loose in the box.
Does anyone know of a supplier of Limewood strips 1mm x 5mm approximately 24 inches?

Back