USS Constitution.

Patrick, I am just about ready to start the mast work on this exact model. If you have not had much experience with model ship building, especially "square rigged ships" you will, unfortunately find this a challenge. I have completed 3 Bluenose, 1 Bounty, and 1 HMS Pegasus. Some of the problems with the Constitution I have found is, although there are 8 sheets of diagrams, there is a lack of detail in a number of areas. This means you have to rely on experience acquired from previous builds. Some of the plans refer to items that must have been included with an older version of the USS Constitution and revisions were not made for this model. The amount of the detail that is noted in the plans would involve the use of a microscope to do! If you include the detail suggested in the instructions you will need a well equipped workshop - not just the basic model boat building tools. The kit incudes enough wood to build 2 boats!! The problem is each bundle, even although they have stickers to identify the sizes, does not often provide the proper size noted in the instructions . This can be frustrating when you look for a size that is not there. Yes, you can just pick the closest size and it usually works fine. The self adhesive copper tape supplied for "plating" the hull I found to be a problem. It does not have "nail dimples" so if you want to make the final result look more authentic you have to place them yourself. Online videos of how to do this are available. There is just enough tape to do the hull, if you are careful. The problem I found is that in removing the protective backing the tape becomes very had to control as it tends to wrap around itself. I found using shorter pieces works. Once that happens that piece is scrap! So watch the waste as you barely have enough to begin with. I have spent 5 months getting to the start of the rigging (several hours a day). Looks like the rigging will not be much faster. Anyway, I know this sounds discouraging but it is meant to be helpful. If you take your time and improvise when necessary you will eventually get the ship completed and be pleased with the result I am sure.

Bill Gray
Did you use Bob Hunt's practicum?

Bill's advice is good. Mr Hunt's practicum does in fact mention a potential shortage of copper tape so I heeded the warning, and bought an extra roll in the beginning. To make the tape stick well to the side of the hull, the hull must have a mirror finish. I thought I applied enough polyurethane, with 3 coats, but it needed a few more. The result was the copper tape had a tendency to lift up which I had to remedied with super glue. I gave an extensive write-up in my build log as to how and why I embossed the copper tape the way I did. It was unconventional, but I liked the results. Since I'm still working on the hull, I haven't worked on any rigging, I've prepared myself with refence books and a set of Mamoli plans which provides nice diagrams for the rigging. My Rattlesnake was by Mamoli and the plans made rigging very easy to follow and understand. Since this model is only my second POB square rigged model, I'm still learning myself.

Jonathan

Patrick, I am just about ready to start the mast work on this exact model. If you have not had much experience with model ship building, especially "square rigged ships" you will, unfortunately find this a challenge. I have completed 3 Bluenose, 1 Bounty, and 1 HMS Pegasus. Some of the problems with the Constitution I have found is, although there are 8 sheets of diagrams, there is a lack of detail in a number of areas. This means you have to rely on experience acquired from previous builds. Some of the plans refer to items that must have been included with an older version of the USS Constitution and revisions were not made for this model. The amount of the detail that is noted in the plans would involve the use of a microscope to do! If you include the detail suggested in the instructions you will need a well equipped workshop - not just the basic model boat building tools. The kit incudes enough wood to build 2 boats!! The problem is each bundle, even although they have stickers to identify the sizes, does not often provide the proper size noted in the instructions . This can be frustrating when you look for a size that is not there. Yes, you can just pick the closest size and it usually works fine. The self adhesive copper tape supplied for "plating" the hull I found to be a problem. It does not have "nail dimples" so if you want to make the final result look more authentic you have to place them yourself. Online videos of how to do this are available. There is just enough tape to do the hull, if you are careful. The problem I found is that in removing the protective backing the tape becomes very had to control as it tends to wrap around itself. I found using shorter pieces works. Once that happens that piece is scrap! So watch the waste as you barely have enough to begin with. I have spent 5 months getting to the start of the rigging (several hours a day). Looks like the rigging will not be much faster. Anyway, I know this sounds discouraging but it is meant to be helpful. If you take your time and improvise when necessary you will eventually get the ship completed and be pleased with the result I am sure.

Bill Gray
I have some experience. Not a lot. I am finishing up the French frigate Hermione La Fayette and am also working on HMS Victory. I have been in woodworking for over 40 years and have a complete wood working shop. That said it still may not be enough. I have been reading some build logs on the ship and plan on taking my time. Thanks for the heads up. I am sure I will have plenty of frustration and questions as I start the build.

Hi Patrick, I completed this model at the end of 2020. It took me 2 1/2 years to complete and I used Bob's practicum for both the hull and rigging. They were indispensable for me. I see you live in Charlotte NC. I live just outside of Raleigh. If you ever get over this way let me know ahead of time and we can visit. It is a challenging, but rewarding build! I did use copper plates by Caldercraft instead of using the foil tape. Good luck!

IMG_20210102_110940.jpg

IMG_20210102_110445023.jpg

I have some experience. Not a lot. I am finishing up the French frigate Hermione La Fayette and am also working on HMS Victory. I have been in woodworking for over 40 years and have a complete wood working shop. That said it still may not be enough. I have been reading some build logs on the ship and plan on taking my time. Thanks for the heads up. I am sure I will have plenty of frustration and questions as I start the build.
Patrick, I think part of the secret is to take whatever time is needed to enjoy the build. Sounds like you are well equipped as far as tools go. I have found there is always some tool or gadget that you add to your tool kit every time you build. I see Jedd responded and noted he spent 2.5 years on his build.

Hi Patrick, I completed this model at the end of 2020. It took me 2 1/2 years to complete and I used Bob's practicum for both the hull and rigging. They were indispensable for me. I see you live in Charlotte NC. I live just outside of Raleigh. If you ever get over this way let me know ahead of time and we can visit. It is a challenging, but rewarding build! I did use copper plates by Caldercraft instead of using the foil tape. Good luck!

View attachment 360942

View attachment 360943
Wow! It is a beautiful ship! Thanks for the offer and if I get stuck I may have to take you up on your offer. Mine seem to take longer than normal since I mostly work on them in the fall and winter. I have over 1000 hours on my current build. I usually have 2 going at any given time. As one dries I will move to the other.

Well I made the plunge and bought the USS Constitution by Model Shipways for less than half of what I can get it from Model Expo. I got it from EBay so that was a bit scary but it came in the origninal box and had all the parts. Looks like the box was opened but nothing was ever taken out. Had a brochure in there about "The College of Model Shipbuilding" Web site is www.lauckstreetshipyard.com . So I checked it out and you can buy a CD of class room instructioins on buiding the ship. Bob Hunt who runs it emailed me some samples of the class and I was very impressed. The instructions that come with the kit is 48 total pages! I think he said his was over 300. I ordered the course CD with pictures and hope to have it soon. It will definately help with the build and he says it shows some improvements to the kit along with tips on build. He list several courses. Virginia Sloop, Mamoli Rattlesnake, Panart HMS Victory. Check it out if interested.
The course should definitely help!

Built this kit with all of Bobs CD’s. Great kit. It was my first attempt at ship building. Some of the wood is questionable but useable. Trash the kit supplied rope and thread and go with rope from Syren. Excellent stuff. Be prepared to have a large area for displaying when finished cause she’s a big girl.

View attachment 360842
Great Looking Model Well done

Back