USS Constitution.

Well I made the plunge and bought the USS Constitution by Model Shipways for less than half of what I can get it from Model Expo. I got it from EBay so that was a bit scary but it came in the origninal box and had all the parts. Looks like the box was opened but nothing was ever taken out. Had a brochure in there about "The College of Model Shipbuilding" Web site is www.lauckstreetshipyard.com . So I checked it out and you can buy a CD of class room instructioins on buiding the ship. Bob Hunt who runs it emailed me some samples of the class and I was very impressed. The instructions that come with the kit is 48 total pages! I think he said his was over 300. I ordered the course CD with pictures and hope to have it soon. It will definately help with the build and he says it shows some improvements to the kit along with tips on build. He list several courses. Virginia Sloop, Mamoli Rattlesnake, Panart HMS Victory. Check it out if interested.

I am very interested in this. At some point, I am going to have to get this model. I am glad that getting it from eBay did well for you. I would suggest getting the CD.
Bob also has a separate CD for Mast and Rigging for the Constitution as well.

Last edited:
I am very interested in this. At some point, I am going to have to get this model. I am glad that getting it from eBay did well for you. I would suggest getting the CD.
Bob also has a separate CD for Mast and Rigging for the Constitution as well.
I have ordered the CD. I will most likely be back for the mast and rigging CD.

There is a lot of building that you have to do with this kit. It's not easy. I would call it a hybrid between a kit and scratch building
That works well for me. I have a full wood shop that I work in during the summer and warm weather. Ship building is my fall and winter work. I am hoping the course CD will help and the two build logs I have found.

The guy at Model expo said the instructions for installing the sails are with the ship kit. I'll have to look into this. Truth be told, I am a little reluctant to start this kit because of it's complexity. I have to study the plans a lot more than I have.
I have found that taking my time and reading ahead helps with complex builds. Also reading and studying other builds. They are the most help. I am very poor at documenting my builds but I am thankful for those that do!

You are completely on the right track. I have just completed the ship. It was a process for me that went on for over two years. I consider myself an average modeler. I do not think I would have ever been able to complete the model without Bob’s practicum. The instruction book with the model is almost useless. I totally agree that this is a very challenging kit but also very satisfying.

Built this kit with all of Bobs CD’s. Great kit. It was my first attempt at ship building. Some of the wood is questionable but useable. Trash the kit supplied rope and thread and go with rope from Syren. Excellent stuff. Be prepared to have a large area for displaying when finished cause she’s a big girl.

C0F65B0D-5E1B-40FE-976C-0986B4FBCA4F.jpeg

Built this kit with all of Bobs CD’s. Great kit. It was my first attempt at ship building. Some of the wood is questionable but useable. Trash the kit supplied rope and thread and go with rope from Syren. Excellent stuff. Be prepared to have a large area for displaying when finished cause she’s a big girl.

View attachment 360842
Love to see more pictures of her!

Built the Constition (plastic) a number of years ago as a quit smoking project. It worked. Took two years to build and became so involved I went to Boston from northern Ontario to see her. What a great experience.

Built the Constition (plastic) a number of years ago as a quit smoking project. It worked. Took two years to build and became so involved I went to Boston from northern Ontario to see her. What a great experience.
I would like to go see her sometime this year. Neighbor of mine has been and said it is well worth the trip.

I am building the Model Shipways Constitution using Mr. Hunt's practicum as a guide. This is my second build using his instructions (the first was the Rattlesnake) because I could not have made these models without his help. That being said, Mr. Hunt is the first to admit his way may or may not be the best way to do any particular step. Therefore, I study numerous other builder's efforts and follow which ever one(s) I like best in any particular situation. In addition, both the practicum and the kit do not have a gun deck in their model which I wanted. Therefore, I've kit bashed my build to add it. I started this build in 2017 and still have not finished the hull. This is not a beginner's build. The is a lot of detail to consider. It helps to have a large library of images of the ship to look at, which the internet provides as well as US Navy plans which can be downloaded from the Constitution Museum for free. To me, it's the journey, not necessarily the end product. You can follow my progress at either:

I am building the Model Shipways Constitution using Mr. Hunt's practicum as a guide. This is my second build using his instructions (the first was the Rattlesnake) because I could not have made these models without his help. That being said, Mr. Hunt is the first to admit his way may or may not be the best way to do any particular step. Therefore, I study numerous other builder's efforts and follow which ever one(s) I like best in any particular situation. In addition, both the practicum and the kit do not have a gun deck in their model which I wanted. Therefore, I've kit bashed my build to add it. I started this build in 2017 and still have not finished the hull. This is not a beginner's build. The is a lot of detail to consider. It helps to have a large library of images of the ship to look at, which the internet provides as well as US Navy plans which can be downloaded from the Constitution Museum for free. To me, it's the journey, not necessarily the end product. You can follow my progress at either:

I have found this ship (Model Expo MS2040 - 1/76 Uss Constituion) at a decent price. I was wondering if anyone has built it and if so what they thought of it.
Patrick, I am just about ready to start the mast work on this exact model. If you have not had much experience with model ship building, especially "square rigged ships" you will, unfortunately find this a challenge. I have completed 3 Bluenose, 1 Bounty, and 1 HMS Pegasus. Some of the problems with the Constitution I have found is, although there are 8 sheets of diagrams, there is a lack of detail in a number of areas. This means you have to rely on experience acquired from previous builds. Some of the plans refer to items that must have been included with an older version of the USS Constitution and revisions were not made for this model. The amount of the detail that is noted in the plans would involve the use of a microscope to do! If you include the detail suggested in the instructions you will need a well equipped workshop - not just the basic model boat building tools. The kit incudes enough wood to build 2 boats!! The problem is each bundle, even although they have stickers to identify the sizes, does not often provide the proper size noted in the instructions . This can be frustrating when you look for a size that is not there. Yes, you can just pick the closest size and it usually works fine. The self adhesive copper tape supplied for "plating" the hull I found to be a problem. It does not have "nail dimples" so if you want to make the final result look more authentic you have to place them yourself. Online videos of how to do this are available. There is just enough tape to do the hull, if you are careful. The problem I found is that in removing the protective backing the tape becomes very had to control as it tends to wrap around itself. I found using shorter pieces works. Once that happens that piece is scrap! So watch the waste as you barely have enough to begin with. I have spent 5 months getting to the start of the rigging (several hours a day). Looks like the rigging will not be much faster. Anyway, I know this sounds discouraging but it is meant to be helpful. If you take your time and improvise when necessary you will eventually get the ship completed and be pleased with the result I am sure.

Bill Gray

Back