USS Enterprise 1799 - Coffee Table Build

Chuck,

Actually not. The bulkheads are not yet glued up yet as I'm taking my time and use my time modeling as a break from the stresses of the day so I'm not working on it every day.

The idea of laying the false keel makes a lot of sense, using glass is ingenious!! The false keel I have is not severally twisted and pinning it based on careful measurements should work well.

Thanks!!
Excellent! I have a problem of turning my hobbies into another job. You have the right idea! Enterprise was the last gift my mother gave me before she passed. It took me years to take it out of the box and get started. She built up into a handsome model. I benefitted from the modern world of model ship building - there are so many ways that are relatively inexpensive to add details. I sourced an entirely new set of blocks when I rigged her. The kit supplied blocks were an abomination. My opinion. I also hadn't built a kit that called for a false deck before planking. The false deck adds a great deal of rigidity to the structure - very helpful when trying to pin the planks to the bulkheads! I also ended up not using any of the kit supplied wood. The dark wood was too difficult to bend and the sapelle was too hard to work with. I'm talking about my skills and tools at the time as well as my familiarity with bass wood. Also I planned to paint her so she looked like what she looked like when she went off and fired the first shots in the war against the Barbary States a/k/a Jefferson's War.
f541d93f189613442ff99acef4b11ab4945b6e45.jpg

Sorry! Got carried away. Enterprise is a sentimental build for me. Enjoy yourself! I look forward to seeing your vision of Enterprise!

Sorry! Got carried away. Enterprise is a sentimental build for me. Enjoy yourself! I look forward to seeing your vision of Enterprise!
Chuck,

That's quite alright. We all have passions in our lives and it's great when you have the opportunity to share those passions with others.

Working with what I have at hand while building up my tools, I found that the bulkheads were in fact, relatively square to the false keel on their own. Using binder clips on the false keel and pressing them aft I found that I could square them up using the edge of the clips. Using the rounded corner of a credit card cut down allowed me to easily spread a bead of glue right into the corner. Lacking any fancy stand, I purchased a couple of strong magnets from Home Depot and use those to hold the frame in a number of positions as I apply the glue with both hands free. With the frame together, time to work on the decking. This I'll do off the frame instead of pinning the false deck to the frame first. I feel I'll have a little more ease with the detail and finish that way.

IMG_20230329_212210498.jpgIMG_20230329_215751194.jpg IMG_20230331_192437578.jpg

Hello, Shipmate! I have been away from the forum for a while and started checking on builds I was following. I hope everything is going well for you! I would love to see how your Enterprise is coming along!

Back