Victory and Hello!

that rigging looks awesome, can't imagine as a newbie coming aboard and having to learn all the lines and their purpose.
As an engineer I feared the same. But then I thought...well, they're all there for a purpose so let's break it down. They add up, that's for sure. But standing rigging holds the masts etc. Then there's the rigging that allows the sails to be angled and the yards dropped. Then the sails themselves can by furled etc. Make that dozens of lines per mast and it looks overwhelming but that's how I got thru it. It's very logical at the elemental level and there are some great books out there. But I'm still very new to all this and I'm sure the true craftsmen on this site can add much more to my thoughts.

Nice work. I was wondering who is the maker of the kit?
Mantua No.782. It is a kit but the instructions are truly dreadful and you will need a lot of reference material to finish it. The translation is terrible and tge diagrams don't match up well. Pictures are grainy black and white.....poor these days when Corel does such a nice job.....actually everybody dies better than this! They aren't too generous on the pear and walnut planking strips either.....i had to buyba few later. The guns are nice, the carriages not too bad either....most aren't really visible. But they're pretty good. The deck boats are worse than useless.....I used a variety of aftermarket kits for those......and got a load of fun too. I was dreading them but finished up loving the build! The rear galleries are printed on veneer in the kit and look totally unconvincing. I mean, awful. I replaced them with Amati brass ones that are slightly underscale but look so much nicer. It's a nice effect albeit not totally accurate. I did the same with the gunports. The hinges were awful and I just couldn't get comfy with the ports I scratchbuilt. Again not historically perfect but makes for a much nicer model in my view. An easy calculus after going with the rear galleries.
I would NOT recommend this kit at all. Caldercraft is far superior.
Thanks for staying with me.

Wow!! Beautiful! 50 years of plastic modeling has been very very good to you as regards skills. Welcome

Thanks, Chelseafan. I happen to own the Caldercraft Victory, but it will be a few years before I start it. Currently working up to it on less demanding kits (also from Caldercraft).

Wow!! Beautiful! 50 years of plastic modeling has been very very good to you as regards skills. Welcome
Thanks. I was all aeroplanes too. I've no idea where my love for ships has come from as everybody in my family has aircraft on the resumes! But I got bored with the same things, scratchbuilding was going away and frankly I didn't like the shading and inking that had taken over at contests without a thought for reality! Lol
I wish I'd found shipbuilding earlier. I love the whole subject area and the history.
Cheers,
John

Thanks, Chelseafan. I happen to own the Caldercraft Victory, but it will be a few years before I start it. Currently working up to it on less demanding kits (also from Caldercraft).
There are some great Victory books out there to help....not that the Caldercraft instruction need much help and there are loads on YouTube videos too. The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships by C. Napean Longridge is a great book albeit being a bit heavy going. But it is likely the most complete. It only deals with a Victory build, from scratch, and is a bit dated illustration wise too, but loads have added to it, elsewhere.
Thanks for the feedback.
John

I think I have over 1000 hours in this ship. It has been nearly two years of the only building I do. A solid 10-15 a week I would guess.

I have Longridge's book as well as several others. I spend about 3 to 4 hrs per day on ship modeling. I started the HMS Snake ship sloop in March of this year, have recently completed the hull entirely, and now beginning all the masts and yards--I'll probably finish her before summer of next year. As such, I expect the Victory will take me at least 4 years.

I have Longridge's book as well as several others. I spend about 3 to 4 hrs per day on ship modeling. I started the HMS Snake ship sloop in March of this year, have recently completed the hull entirely, and now beginning all the masts and yards--I'll probably finish her before summer of next year. As such, I expect the Victory will take me at least 4 years.
That's how long it's taken me, end to end, but some long breaks in the middle when life got in the way. A solid 18 months of 10-15 hours a week though. The rigging has been four to five months.

I would no longer describe your efforts on this build as an "attempt". At this stage I'd call it a resounding success! :D
Congratulations!

Pete

Please, post pics! (If you haven't already).

I think Peter G. was asking me to post pics of HMS Snake. I don't like posting build logs because for me personally they take too much time away from actual modelling, and I'm getting along in years. But I can post a couple of pics here tomorrow.

Back