Viking ship kit

I agree, use them as templates to make some out of cherry.
Walnut would have a better color, but for a model the tight grain of cherry is much better. You can always stained the cherry dark like the pine pitch used to preserve the original ships. No matter what, this model appears to be extremely accurate as well as attractive.

That in no doubt the best Viking ship kit I've ever seen. The Dusek kits are small and on the fragile side as far as the wood is concerned because of the small scale, and the wood is also light colored. I imagine carefully painting the background of the carved pieces of Pavel's model with dark stain and then using light stain on the raised portion can create the contrast in the photo you posted above, Signet. The Oseberg ship that was excavated is virtually complete and original. It was buried and oxygen could not reach it. It's in much better shape that the Wasa.

View attachment 322126

Info on Oseberg ship from the Viking Ship Museum:

In the year 834 CE, two wealthy women died. The Oseberg ship was pulled ashore and used as a burial ship for these two ladies. The Oseberg mound and grave are named after the farm on which they were found, Lille Oseberg in Tønsberg in Vestfold.

The mound was 44 metres in diameter and 2.5 metres high, but may originally have been almost six metres high. It was constructed using turf, which formed a compact, airtight seal over the ship and grave goods. The weight of the burial mound had pressed the ship several metres down into the soft clay subsoil. This, in combination with the compact turf mound, made for exceptionally good conservation conditions, rarely encountered in Norwegian burial mounds. There are only two other known examples that compare with the good conservation conditions at Oseberg: These are the ship burials from Gokstad and Tune.

The excavation caught the public’s interest to such an extent that the site had to be secured with railings and signs. A guard was also hired to ensure that no one disturbed the work or got too close to the finds. The process was thoroughly executed and documented and it is fair to say that it laid the groundwork for how archaeological investigations are carried out in Norway today.

The Oseberg ship was built in western Norway around 820 CE. It is made of oak, with deck and mast from pine.

A burial chamber was built right behind the ship's mast. The dead women were laid out in a bed made with large down quilts. A magnificent tapestry was placed in the chamber. The women were also accompanied by a large quantity of other grave goods. There were personal items such as clothes, shoes and combs, as well as exotic vessels from Ireland or England. There was also ship's equipment, kitchen equipment, farm equipment, three ornate sledges and a work sledge, a wagon, five carved animal heads, extra beds and tents. 15 horses, six dogs and two cows were also found in the grave.
INDEED awesome kit - I have two under the table - those won't happen --- this IS the one. Hope that it can somehow be ordered???
My next build will be Viking - just kind of need to learn something totally new. I also plan on leaving many deck planks in their open positions
in order to see inner framings as well as supplies usually carried aboard. I have already saved many images and drawings...
Pavel thanks for sharing!!

Walnut would have a better color, but for a model the tight grain of cherry is much better. You can always stained the cherry dark like the pine pitch used to preserve the original ships. No matter what, this model appears to be extremely accurate as well as attractive.
Hi, hope you're well.
The ply part frames won't be visible so colour isn't an issue, if it were I'd use Olha's advice of oiling then staining. I've done some test pieces, it gets rid of any problems with the stain leaving a blotchy finish.
Also, for general information, Stockholm tar varied in colour, from pale honey to black. So we can colour all our rigging anything we like and still be historically accurate!

Now I would like to find out from Pavel how much more expensive the new set will be in price?And then my hands itch to buy a drakar, and I don't want to wait another 2 months.

Now I would like to find out from Pavel how much more expensive the new set will be in price?And then my hands itch to buy a drakar, and I don't want to wait another 2 months.
The cost of a new drakar is planned to be approximately $170. The reason for the increase in cost is that wood species more suitable for this ship will be used. For example, the keel is all walnut, the decks are cherry, the visible frames are also cherry. Well, it’s worth mentioning separately about the sail, it will not just be a piece of fabric, but a very well printed pattern for stitching and gradient shading of the leech stripes of the sail itself. The first samples will be in my production in 10 days. I will post pictures of them. Also in a week I will start publishing the process of building a new dracar, it will be interesting )) Also in 5 days I will start publishing views of the 3D model of the new dracar, this will make it possible to see the ship's construction even before the construction.

Is a special edition of the kit in pear an interesting idead? Do you know what such a kit will cost?
The idea is certainly interesting, and many times I have been asked questions on various forums. Everything rests on the lack of a pear in the blanks. I haven't been able to get even the minimum lot so far. That’s why I can’t add up the price, the set can become more expensive by $ 10-15.

The development of the updated set "Oseberg" is coming to an end Works on 3D modeling are coming to an end. Everything that is in the 3D model, we implement in the kit. The most interesting thing, in my opinion, is the historically reliable carving on the keel of the drakar and the drawings on the shields, which will be made by engraving. It is also planned to apply a characteristic striped coloring to the blank for the sail, the fabric imitating canvas in this scale has already been selected, experiments are underway with applying a gradient pattern to the fabric. In a week, we will begin the construction of a test hull of the drakar, I will try to cover the construction process in detail)

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:
HI PAVEL, ANY UPDATE ON THIS ONE WHEN CAN WE EXPECT RELEASE. GOD BLESS ALL WHO FIGHT FOR JUSTICE MAY GOD BE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

BETTER AND BETTER PAVEL, ANY IDEA RELEASE DATE, LOVE IT. TO ALL IN UKRAINE GOD BE WITH YOU IN YOUR FIGHT FOR FREEDOM. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Today, a new, very updated version of the drakar "Oseberg" is available in our shop. The kit is made exclusively of wood species: walnut, cherry, alder, beech. The kit includes a slipway, which greatly facilitates the installation of ship boards. Added shields engraved with Scandinavian designs. The weight of the complete kit is 4.5 kg.

1.JPG

15.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

28.JPG

30.JPG

33.JPG

35.JPG

37.JPG

45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

WHOA YOU GUYS STILL AMAZE ME, WAITING FOR THIS ONE, HOW MUCH AND HOW CAN I ORDER IT, THE J.S. SCHALOP WAS HARD TO PLACE ORDER WENT THROUGH DENYS. LET ME KNOW. GOD BLESS STAY SAFEE YOU AND YOURS DON

Back