VOC Batavia - Kolderstok 1:72 build log

Ok , folks, after much ado and encouragement, I have been busy with the beautiful VOC Batavia. This ship is close to my heart , as I am from Dutch parents, yet born in Australia. I have personally seen the replica in Lelystad. The history of this ship is extraordinary, the story behind it is without peers. Aside the replica, there are museums in Perth and Geraldton in Western Australia, I have been to both, have read 3-4 books on the history. Anyway, let's just say I'm excited, thank you Heinrich, you have brought that out. There's not that much that I have done and I'm packing up to sell my house but I would just like to share what I have here. More to come. I do really love this hobby and everyone on this site is pure gold. Cheers to everyone.

P1060872.JPGP1060873.JPGP1060874.JPGP1060875.JPGP1060876.JPG

Ok, just had a look at my initial pics. Big deal. Seriously, get on with it. I have only done 2 kits prior to this kit, so bear with me. I must say , everything, thus far, fits beautifully, my last kit (Occre, Revenge) had only 4 mm bulkheads, the Batavia has 6mm bulkheads, I'm loving it. I found that the best way to fit the quite tight lower deck , is not to try and sand the parts that were too tight and try to push it all down, risking breaking off other pieces. I just lifted the bulkheads, fit the deck, fiddled around, glued the lot and pushed it all down. It worked, maybe not to schedule but I found it worked. I take my hat off to Kolderstok, the fit could not have better. My bulkheads did not need any assistance as far as extra blocks. The fit is tight and so impressive. There were one or two casualties but I'll take that.

Attachments

• P1060882.JPG
    P1060882.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 8
  • P1060884.JPG
    P1060884.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 9
  • P1060885.JPG
    P1060885.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 8
  • P1060886.JPG
    P1060886.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P1060887.JPG
    P1060887.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 8
Looking good Frankie. My advice is to extend the guiding lines for the planking on the bulkheads. Also, extend them to the back of the bulkheads. You are so right - this kit redefines solidity and fitment of parts.

Looking good Frankie. My advice is to extend the guiding lines for the planking on the bulkheads. Also, extend them to the back of the bulkheads. You are so right - this kit redefines solidity and fitment of parts.
Heinrich, believe me, I have done this kit well differently to the norm, it's been an experience. It's the way I interpret things. Like I plank the gunport level first and then adjust/sand the ports and boxes , fit them, I'm not sure of how it will turn out.

Last edited:
Ok , folks, after much ado and encouragement, I have been busy with the beautiful VOC Batavia. This ship is close to my heart , as I am from Dutch parents, yet born in Australia. I have personally seen the replica in Lelystad. The history of this ship is extraordinary, the story behind it is without peers. Aside the replica, there are museums in Perth and Geraldton in Western Australia, I have been to both, have read 3-4 books on the history. Anyway, let's just say I'm excited, thank you Heinrich, you have brought that out. There's not that much that I have done and I'm packing up to sell my house but I would just like to share what I have here. More to come. I do really love this hobby and everyone on this site is pure gold. Cheers to everyone.
Hallo @frankieg
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is the work on your Batavia going on?

Back