Wale and Strake question

Hello all. I’m in the process of scratch building a 17th century Frigate. This is my first time attempting this, so I’m sure I’ll have A LOT more questions.
Today I’m asking about wales and straks. I’m not sure of their exact placement on the hull and how many are supposed to go on. The attached picture is something I found online. The text with it said that straks are thicker then the regular planking and wales are thicker then straks. It appears like there is a strak on the top and bottom of the wale. They seem to be situated in line with the deck, just below where the deck gun ports are. Is this positioning and set up correct? I was under the impression that there should be 2 wales. One under the deck ports and one about an inch below that.
I’d appreciate any help.379AEC61-F11E-4827-9808-0B81906A366C.png

the sheer or curve of the wales don't in most cases follow the sheer of the deck.

you can see this on models where the port is cut into the wale

I see what you’re saying Dave. What determines the sweep of the wale then? Is it just the look that you want it to have? Or does it just follow the curve of the planks in the area that it’s in?
By the way, I’m following your Adventure Galley build log and am building one of my own. That is why I’m asking about the wales.

I see what you’re saying Dave. What determines the sweep of the wale then? Is it just the look that you want it to have? Or does it just follow the curve of the planks in the area that it’s in?
By the way, I’m following your Adventure Galley build log and am building one of my own. That is why I’m asking about the wales.

Wales are set by the master shipwright who designed the ship and drew the plans. Exactly where they go and the sweep is a design element.

Back